New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31478 times)

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #90 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:50 PM »
You would think the local boys would know how to get away from the crowds.  I fished lakers all day Saturday.  My buddy and I were all alone.  Wasn't a person within a half mile.  Public access too.  I live hour and a half away and had absolutely no problems getting away from the crowds.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Seems to be a lot of guys unhappy with people fishing the lake.  Doesn't surprise me always heard finger lakes folks were famous for their whine.
I forgot people posting behind computers were known as tough guys... Lol if you didn't realize I wasn't complaining... I simply moved and hit gold. But hey your cool  ;)

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:02 PM »
I was out Saturday off the state park near shanty town in 170 FOW...Defiantly lots of interference from everyone out there.

I brought both the HB PiranhaMax 176i and 597CI out with me.  Initially set up the 597, but was having issues seeing things with either setting (200/83 kHz), so I switched over the the PiranhaMax. 

I had good luck running it at 455 kHz- according the the manual it's 16° @ -10db.   Every so often, would get a bit of interference, but never enough to prevent me from seeing a 1 oz jig on the bottom.

I know the 597 works at the depth (and location) without issue, as I'm out there in a kayak during open water and never have issues.

I was amazed at the number of shanties out there Saturday, I can only image what the warmer temps on Sunday did to teh crowd.

Offline jimbo13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Question for the membership.  My ICE55 and another guy's ICE35 fishing near me on Saturday were virtually useless below about 110 feet using tube jigs, etc, even when maxed out on gain.  The Vex users mostly were able to see theirs. I didn't see anyone with a Marcum.  I went back Sunday with an old Piranha 170 sonar and could see everything with no problem.  Are the Birds depth limited, or what?  In Canadice lake, at 90ft, I had no problems. ???
  Glad t to see some comments regarding the bird 55, i also had alot of trouble w/ depth there on sunday. i was w/ big country we set up on 170 to start and had no problem marking the bottom but could not see the jig on the screen. One thing i did not try was to click the depth nob to 10x not sure if that would have made a difference, so use to just turning it onto the auto setting. never had the flasher in such a crowd before either, did not realize all the false marks were interference till we went back to other fork of lake lookin for perch. When i say lookin i mean lookin not findin, from 12:30 till 4:30 we poked 12 holes from 15 feet out to 60 feet near structure, some lookers no takers.

Any of you guys on here fishing Hewitt pnt, saw a crew there all wknd. wondering how you did , also wondering how the 2 guys in middle out front of viking did ?

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:06 AM »
I have been playing with the bird 55 for two seasons now on Keuka. The best I have been able to pick up the jig is about 140' No problem marking bottom though. The only thing that helps is to adjust the noise level anywhere from a 3-5 setting. Thankfully, the lakers don't seem to care if I see them or not.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #95 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:01 AM »
 VIKING !!!  ;D why say anything there will be trash and 300 people there .look for yourself ice is safe now. let me guess u will remove this too..

Offline bigcountry315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Question for the membership.  My ICE55 and another guy's ICE35 fishing near me on Saturday were virtually useless below about 110 feet using tube jigs, etc, even when maxed out on gain.  The Vex users mostly were able to see theirs. I didn't see anyone with a Marcum.  I went back Sunday with an old Piranha 170 sonar and could see everything with no problem.  Are the Birds depth limited, or what?  In Canadice lake, at 90ft, I had no problems. ???
had the same couldn't see jack, was maxed out on 10X and max gain with my beam set to narrow 

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #97 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:50 AM »
You would think the local boys would know how to get away from the crowds.  I fished lakers all day Saturday.  My buddy and I were all alone.  Wasn't a person within a half mile.  Public access too.  I live hour and a half away and had absolutely no problems getting away from the crowds.

fishmaster wait till the trash kills the access and he cant walk out his door to the ice  ;D  ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Just wait a few weeks and it will all be over for another decade.

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:02 PM »
This is some serious stuff for some seriously small lakers!  Good thing I prefer panfish on the table!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #100 on: Mar 03, 2015, 02:17 PM »

Just a lot of people trying something they don't get to do very often or never have before. Unfortunately there's a percentage of miscreants in every group.

Rg

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Fished off the State Park this morning; everybody was behaving!!! I did not see any trash or dumped Lakers. Bite was slow, small schools every 20  minutes or so; hit mostly on white tubes.

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:41 PM »
What happened to everybody having fun and catching dinner. There are no record fish in this lake so its a lake with plenty of good eating lakers. It is a great time to get in hard deep water catch your limit and enjoy. That was what this whole post was about and everybody is proving to me that if you enjoy something than don't say anything because somebody in this day and age cant fathom somebody else having fun. I have a good friend that got me into ice fishing so this year I was happy as hell to drag him out on the lake to fish for lakers. I literally dragged him out on his sled because he broke his leg. Isn't that what this is all about its the middle to the end of winter and everybody is stir crazy to get on some hard water and catch dinner???

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Mar 04, 2015, 05:06 AM »
What happened to everybody having fun and catching dinner. There are no record fish in this lake so its a lake with plenty of good eating lakers. It is a great time to get in hard deep water catch your limit and enjoy. That was what this whole post was about and everybody is proving to me that if you enjoy something than don't say anything because somebody in this day and age cant fathom somebody else having fun. I have a good friend that got me into ice fishing so this year I was happy as hell to drag him out on the lake to fish for lakers. I literally dragged him out on his sled because he broke his leg. Isn't that what this is all about its the middle to the end of winter and everybody is stir crazy to get on some hard water and catch dinner???
Yes it is glad some one else agrees none of my posts to this topic have been negative, besides the lake trout being on the ice a while back. I feel like most of these conversations end up like Facebook. Every one has to chime in on something they didn't exactly read and be negative. Prolly be staying away from this site from now on. Seems like a lot of drama no body's in it for the fun anymore I guess.

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Yesterday was my first time icefishing keuka, went out of state park. Was there for three hours and watched people catch fish as for me I got zip but it was great just sitting out there enjoying the time. Two hour drive just to get there and two hour crappie ride home. When your used to fishing 10 to 40' of water,180' feels like it take for ever to hit bottom. Great time.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Mar 04, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Keviny; I was on the lake Sunday morning and saw you pulling your buddy out. I thought to myself, there's a spiecial friendship or someone lost a bet. I hope you guys had a good day! I believe some good karma is coming your way.  :bow: :bow: :bow:
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Just would like everyone to know to be careful out at branch port had a buddy tell me today he went out towards the opposite side of the launch and hit some sort of "soft spot" wile he was alone and fell in lucky he is okay and got out just wanted to let everyone know to be careful!!!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Mar 05, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Might want to share ice conditions over on the R and C page as well

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #108 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:23 AM »

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #109 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:50 AM »
Nice job Snagger!! Glad to see you posting again..... :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:20 PM »

First time ever ice fishing lakers for me, showed up a touch late, after some fumbling trying too figure this sport out, got in a groove, got 14 lakers too the hole,my buddy hippy nailed the same, my buddy Jason and his friend put a pile on the ice, 62 to be exact, crazy stuff man, it was a riot, i'll be back over this week with some friends.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:12 PM »

First time ever ice fishing lakers for me, showed up a touch late, after some fumbling trying too figure this sport out, got in a groove, got 14 lakers too the hole,my buddy hippy nailed the same, my buddy Jason and his friend put a pile on the ice, 62 to be exact, crazy stuff man, it was a riot, i'll be back over this week with some friends.
Wait? Whaaaaat? I thought you told me on FB if you're not fishing Oneida, you're not fishing at all?
Glad to see you're back out there!
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:56 PM »

Addicting isn't it!

The key is to take it away...and I don't think there is a way to reel too fast, they always catch up.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Mar 08, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Addicting isn't it!

The key is to take it away...and I don't think there is a way to reel too fast, they always catch up.
  they were kind of moody, marked probably 30 fish an hour, could only get them too chase 40-50 feet, then they would stop, think I picked a bad bite day.. making some adjustments and tieing jigs for round 2.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #114 on: Mar 08, 2015, 01:39 PM »
  they were kind of moody, marked probably 30 fish an hour, could only get them too chase 40-50 feet, then they would stop, think I picked a bad bite day.. making some adjustments and tieing jigs for round 2.
inbox full shane

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Mar 08, 2015, 02:16 PM »

come join the party scout, sent you a pm.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Mar 08, 2015, 02:31 PM »

no idea what the king rig is over there, but bring your Oneida sonars and bucktails scout.  they worked.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:35 PM »
You only need three lures whit, whit, and white ;)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:36 PM »

So laker ice vetrans, after one trip, am I thinking along the right lines?... 1 oz trolling sinker flie?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:08 PM »
You only need three lures whit, whit, and white ;)

heard that from everyone, first thing I dropped was a white tube 1 oz sinker with stinger, not a follow, then spoons, follows but never more than 20-30 feet, landed on 2 winners but even with a white bucktail that caught a lot my fish, never had a laker follow more than 50 feet, it was hard work too get them too commit, I'm sure theres days guys pile them deep, but that bites 4 weeks old, I was late with my back out, think I hit a bad bite day, if I suck this week, then I'll know its just me not understanding the place, fun none the less, I'm excited.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.