The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Not a bad couple hours  (Read 782 times)

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not a bad couple hours
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 07:35 PM »
Checked another pond local to me and surprised to see 6" of ice, first hole on the pond caught 41 keeper yellow perch, didn't move for 2h, them wasted the last 2 hours of the day looking for white perch and crappies, found a few crappies but they were extremely finicky, had to downsize to a size 16 chironomid fly and even then got refused a lot, found 1 dink white perch and a medium mixed with the crappies, safe to say I won't be back for white perch, but the yellow perch is definitely good in this pond!

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not a bad couple hours
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2024, 07:14 AM »
Nice!!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:29 AM »
Well done.  I wish I had my fly box fishing for smelt the other night.  They were being really picky.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:43 AM »
Well done.  I wish I had my fly box fishing for smelt the other night.  They were being really picky.

Same.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2024, 09:32 AM »

I carry a few flies on my tungsten box, a couple different colors of micro balanced leeches, a few bloodworms, chironomids in 2 or 3 different colors and scuds, scuds are a big food item on 2 or 3 ponds I fish, even with the tiny tungstens and tiny plastics fish will sometimes prefer a fly that is bigger than the tungsten for some reason, and on this pond was not expected at all since every fish I caught had a shiner halfway down their throat, they had a school of pond shiners pinned against an inside turn and where pretty active.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2024, 12:55 PM »
Nice batch of perch. Were they wormy?
MA

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2024, 01:12 PM »
Chironomids are cool.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2024, 02:14 PM »
Great haul of yellows!  I love to see them taken like that and I'm sure you had a great feed. 

Like The Jigger asked, how was the worm situation with those?

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2024, 02:29 PM »
Nice batch of perch. Were they wormy?

A few had them, but haven't seen a pond in MA where all perch are clean yet, not as bad as some ponds where everyone of them have them

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2024, 03:00 PM »
A few had them, but haven't seen a pond in MA where all perch are clean yet, not as bad as some ponds where everyone of them have them

Webster lake perch seem clear of worms I've caught about 75 there and never had any with a single worm. I think it's because their diet is primarily madeup of ailwives
MA

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2024, 07:36 PM »
Nice work. I have some chironomids in one of my soft water cases and never thought to use them ice fishing. I do have flies that I use.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:16 PM »
Either of you open water midge tip fishing?  I havent tried it but have studied the technique.  Its absolutely deadly.

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2024, 09:32 PM »
Open water with chironomids for me is on the indicator from 4ft to 25ft deep in the mornings, long leader(20ft+ sometimes) and naked fishing near the surface on the afternoons, and dry flies for the last hour or 2 of the day, only change to that is late fall when the trout are rising mid morning in the ponds I fish, then it's dry fly all day on the 3wt rod.
I have read a little and watched a few videos on the midge tip, pretty cool stuff but would need a extra spool for the reel since it's a 1 pony trick line, with my floating line I can fish from the surface to about 25ft deep water, I do bring sometimes a type5 full sink line to fish boobies for rainbows, most overlooked fly and technique in the US, same for FAB flies

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:29 AM »
Real cool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.