Author Topic: lowrance lo-k-tor  (Read 2834 times)

Offline alpinehigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging rapala is a great ice lure
lowrance lo-k-tor
« on: Oct 17, 2003, 01:24 PM »
Does anyone own one of these babies? I just picked up two and trying to get them to work. I hooked up two 6v and got the motor spinning but the light didnt come on. I heard i need to use a 12v. I dont think i could use my car battery though.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:lowrance lo-k-tor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2003, 06:39 PM »
Alpinehigh
Did you hook up the 2 batterys in a series such as bat. A- pos. to bat. B-neg. Bat. A- neg. to bat. B-pos. Then hook pos lead from unit to Pos side of A-bat. neg lead from unit to neg side of Bat A. This will give you 12 volts other than this you will only be at 6 volts. If it still dont work you might need more juice to run the unit.
Good Luck
Cold Feet

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2003, 12:18 PM »
Alpinehigh
Did you hook up the 2 batterys in a series such as bat. A- pos. to bat. B-neg. Bat. A- neg. to bat. B-pos. Then hook pos lead from unit to Pos side of A-bat. neg lead from unit to neg side of Bat A. This will give you 12 volts other than this you will only be at 6 volts. If it still dont work you might need more juice to run the unit.
Good Luck
Cold Feet

coldfeet,
One too many connections.  If you connect them this way you'll complete the circuit, and cook the batteries.  You should connect the unit to the positive side of the first battery, then connect the negative terminal of the first battery to the positive terminal of the second battery.  Then connect the unit to the negative terminal of the second battery.

Think of how you put two batteries into a flashlight.  Positive end in first.  Then the second battery connects the negative end of the first to the positive end of the second.  Then the tailcap connects the negative end of the second battery to the device.

It sounds like Alpinehigh had 12 volts in the first place, if the motor was spinning.  He may not have had enough amps, or there could be other problems with the unit.  A sealed lead acid battery of about 6 or 7 amps (also called gel cells ) should work well.  Was the transducer plugged in?

Hope this helps.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2003, 05:19 PM »
Frshmn
your right my mistake. But  if the motor was spinning it might have been spinning on 6 volts not 12. Just trying to make sure he doesnt hurt the unit with low voltage. Ive used the 6volt in series on my unit for icefishing for years with no problems but his might need more amps thanks for correcting me.
Cold Feet

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2003, 09:01 AM »
With regards to the Lo-K-tor and power requirements, they run on 12 volts but not much current - only about 1/2 amp max.  The units that have this model name on them are very old - anywhere from 25 to 40 years old.
If the unit is spinning but there is no light, make sure you have the transducer plugged in and in the water.  Many of these units had what was called un-buffered outputs which needed the transducer to complete the circuit.  Later models had buffered outputs which would flash at "0" without the transducer.  If these conditions have all been met and
You still have no flash, the unit has an electronic component failure.  Lowrance no longer supports these units with parts or service and haven't for many years.
I hope you can get them working.  I used to own a Lowrance warranty service center and owned/repaired
many of these units.  When they work, they are great little units.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.