Author Topic: Dual Freq. Ducers  (Read 3556 times)

bschlauch

Dual Freq. Ducers
« on: Sep 25, 2003, 01:27 PM »
Can someone please explain the dual frequency transducer scenario to me. How does it work? How does it differ from a regular transducer?

Specifically I have been looking at the Lowrance LCD finders, most offer a 200khz skimmer transducer, but some also have the option for a 50/200khz dual frequency transducer. I assume you can switch back and forth for varying water depths???? ???

Also, can you use a skimmer transducer in a stationary position for ice fishing? Im also assuming that you would have to rig up some sort of support to mount the ducer on to keep it steady under the water versus just dropping it down into the water. Am I way off base here??? Please help....

Thanks!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Dual Freq. Ducers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2003, 01:39 PM »
On the Vex the dual transducer switch makes the cone of the transducer go from 9 degrees to 12 degrees.  This works well if you are fishing on a steep drop-off and you can switch to the 12 degree to see the deeper fish.  I have fished on a steep drop-off before and was using the 9 degree and it said 32 feet, but since the center of the cone was in the middle of the drop-off I couldn't see the entire bottom.  Once I switched to the 12 degree it jumped to 48 feet and then I could see the bottom with the fish hanging on the bottom.    Basically it gives you a wider or narrower cone of vision.  Hope this helps.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2003, 08:44 AM »
Yep you have to rig up a high speed transducer if you wish to use it for ice-fishing. Not only to hold it in the water but to keep it level also. I have seen all sorts of arms and brackets that guys have made to do it. All to save the $60 or so that an ice-ducer will run you. If the manufacturer of your unit offers some sort of ice-fishing adapter and/or transducer I would buy it unless you get satisfaction out of do-it-yourself projects.

missfishylicious

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2003, 10:09 AM »
H2o all you have to do is take the reel off an old tip up and tape the trans to the bottom were the reel was then run the cord up the stick and tape it in several places ...woks great for mine run your locator on zoom up feature and you can see your jig on my garmin I can see the juice trail coming out of mousies as they go down  TRUTH

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2003, 12:59 PM »
Cool, sounds better than some of the goofy setups I have seen. My brother has a Vex and he is too cheap to buy an iceducer or a good portable box.

He has a wooden box he built from scrap. It has a couple of screws on either side and he has several wraps of wire between them for a handle. His transducer is held on by a couple of lengths of slotted steel that he is constantly fiddling with. Makes me nervous watching him fish.

I usually loan him my unit if I am not going to be out on the ice for a while.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2003, 01:41 PM »
There is a nice unit made by Dave Genz called an ICE BOX that works well.  It has a compartment for a battery, a place to stow all of the wires, a place to mount the bracket for the finder, and a rod to mount the ducer on.  The rod has a ball joint to adjust the angle that it hangs in the water.  All that and a handle to pick it up by.

H2O-Boy, have you decided on which unit to get?  Are you going to spend your money on a color screen or go for more power?  Keep us informed, if you would, please.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2003, 10:01 AM »
I have my Vex mounted in a blue Genz box. It works pretty good. It has some nice space to route cables under the handle. The walls are thick enough to use self tapping screws to mount accessories. Make sure you use foam around your battery to keep it from banging around in the blue box.

There is a round style box that Vexilar sells that fits in a five gallon bucket. Keeps the unit from bouncing around.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2003, 11:31 AM »
The round pack that vex makes is the way to go.  Actually, if you are going to buy a vexilar, buy the pro-pack and the soft-pack with it.  I can store two boxes of jigs, packs of powerbait, etc, inside the softpack, and it's right there at my fingertips.  For guys who still use five gallon buckets (how quaint), the pro-pack fits right inside one.  The pro-pack  gives you a battery status monitor, and a foam insert to put your iceducer in.  Nobody's really talked about it at all, but that's one of the best things about the vex, is the ice ducer system.  It's idiotically simple, but so much better than any other system out there for keeping your transducer level.  You HAVE to keep your transducer level in the hole, otherwise you lose alot of your "window"  to the world below!  

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2003, 12:37 PM »
What is so quaint about five gallon buckets? I have several that I use for everything. They are even great for shore fishing. They can carry your gear, snacks, and bait then when you are on the ice they can give you a place to sit. After you catch a mess they can be used to cart your fish home. They are great in a sled to organize your gear. When coupled with rod wraps they can organize your rods. I use them in addition to a tackle box, chair, and soft cases.

I have to agree that the Ice-Ducer is elegant in it's simplicity. I have not seen another transducer suspension device or system that worked as well. Just drop it in the hole. If you want to clear the hole for fighting a fish you pull it out. No adjustments when you drop it back in. No need to pick up the box if you don't need too. Have two holes side by side? just pick it up and drop it in the other hole or get a switch box and a second Ice-Ducer. Fabulous.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2003, 01:41 PM »
missfishylicious,

I was thinking about that tip-up/transducer setup. It seems like that might get in the way at times. Do you use two holes and run the transducer down a hole next to the one you are actively jigging?

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2003, 02:20 PM »
Hard_H20;
I used to use my ice ducer in the same hole as I jigged, used my other hole to dead stick. After loosing many fish at the hole, either wrapped around the cable, or inadvertantly dipping my rod while pulling it out. I'm going to put 4' troughs in my hard side. That way I can drill 3 holes and run my vex out of the center hole....get to see both lures that way too!
I have the dual beam set up as well. I run the wider beam in shallower water to get a stightly wider cone. Works well on those URL crappies.

bschlauch

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2003, 04:11 PM »
So what is the point of the dual frequency? Why dont you just keep the ducer in the widest cone angle possible for all scenarios? Do you get a more detailed picture with the narrower cone angle even with the more powerful units???

Realistically...how often do you folks with the Dual Freq. options switch back and forth? Is it an option you would purchase again???

I guess Im just not sold on the idea. :-\

missfishylicious

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2003, 05:37 PM »
yep i keep it off to one side a little and just yank it out and lay it on the ice when I get the fish up to the top it's not a problem really most fish I catch aren't big enough to matter.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2003, 10:35 PM »
It's having 2 ducers with the same unit.
Is it a necessity? No. It is another bell and whistle....... I'm very pleased with my Vex and yes I would purchase the same unit again. I started out with a Zercom ColorPoint (which is a very fine machine) but traded it in after the company went out of business/changed hands or something.
As Icenutter said the best feature is fishing the edge of a drop off. Seeing what is really there is alot better than drilling more holes and checking with the bomb. With the wider cone you pick up the first depth that it registers, which is the shallower one. My Vex also has a low power setting for shallow water, it helps reduce clutter such as insects rising from the bottom. Oops, another bell, or is it a whistle?? :D
I guess that I just like gadgets and toys.  

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2003, 10:30 AM »
Vexilars originaly came with 19° transducers. That is great in shallow water but in deeper water you are looking at too big of a area on the bottom. Then they came out with a 9° transducer. That covers a bit less area on the bottom but it was too fine for shallower water.

Like was said drop offs and edges are also a problem. I fish for lake trout. I had a 19° Ice-Ducer for the vex. I bought a 9° one for lakers in moderate to deep water. The first trip with it it bounced out of the box and caught in the track of the sled. Ripped the puck right off. Luckily I had the 19° Ice-Ducer along and the Vex was unharmed.

Now you can choose between 9°, 19, Dual cone 9° and 19°, and 12°. The 12° is the compromise between the 9° and the 19°. The FL-18 comes standard with the 12°.

I believe you have a switch to select between the two cone angles. You can also get a switch that will let you run two transducers and switch between them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.