Author Topic: Old Lowrence green box  (Read 3767 times)

driver9

Old Lowrence green box
« on: Dec 05, 2002, 05:17 PM »
I have an old lowrence green box that my dad gave me, is this thing worth dragging out on the ice with me.  It's real time display right.  I had a guy tell me it's almost the same things as the vexilar without the color.. is this true?

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Old Lowrence green box
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2002, 05:32 PM »
I'd say give it a shot! It won't give you the resolution(fine lines) or target separation like the new units but it will give information such as fish coming thru the cone.It doesn't cost you a cent and will give you practice on a flasher.
                                                   LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2002, 08:49 PM »
driver9, my old fishing partner used to have one and it worked just great!  Lone wolf is right on what he said, and heck it's cheaper than a new unit.
TEAM ALASKA

driver9

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2002, 04:10 AM »
One more question about this unit.  I  need to make some type of bracket to hold the transducer in the water,  I was thinking about making it out of some 1"x1" bolted together in a "T".  How far down in the hole do I want the transducer to be???

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2002, 09:57 AM »
Ideally you would want it at the bottom of the hole and ice thickness varies.On my adjustable arm-commercially bought-it goes about 8" down the hole.(This is one of the advantages of the self leveling models is that it can hang at any depth). In your case I'd say buy a commercial one and make sure you get a leveling bubble.I would wrap the puck a few turns with electrical tape then attach it to the arm with a hose clamp(do this about half way up the puck).Then tape the cable(w/ electrical tape)to the arm.Put some silicone in the center of the puck and place your bubble level on it.With the green box on a table turn the unit on and see what it is reading.Lets say it it reading 8'.Move the arm around until you get a second reading which should be around 16'.Now play with the level until it is centered and you still have the double reading.Let the silicone dry overnight and you're good to go.  LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2002, 01:28 PM »
I have one more idea, let me throw this out there.  First I think if you use wood for your holder/stand, it may be too bouyant?  I had some good success taking aluminum conduit and bending it into a long U shape.  Then take and bend the "uprights" down and in so they almost touch one another on the bottom.  Then take the ends and vice them together smashing them flat.  Take a drill and create holes in the bottom or flatened areas, these holes will be used to mount your transducer.  You now have a stand that is lightwieght, and portable that easy to take out of the hole when fighting a fish.  I wish I had a digital camera to show you exactly what I am talking about.  Basically if you manipulate the conduit, (1/2" works good) you can have a stand that always lays pretty level.  Any questions just shoot me an Email.  Barleydog.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2002, 02:24 PM »
 This may help?
TEAM ALASKA

BushMaster

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2002, 11:27 AM »
Nothing wrong with the green box! It where all other have sprouted. I used one for many years! She will help you get to the fish.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2002, 12:47 PM »
go for it :'( :'( :'(
Many are cold, but few are frozen

superhooperduty

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2002, 06:59 PM »
i got one of the velixar unit last year  heaven, i used to use my hummin bird lcr it has so few pixels its not even mentioned on the box. set it up on a square plywood base with flexible wire cords to carry it, and used pipe strap for the transducer holdr, i was perch fishing once and couldn't see anything on the display but the fish alarm sounded and sure enough the bobber wiggled presto  fish on. i tried it with the eagle unit i got for b day what a piece of crap, it almost never registers any fish till put on fish id then there's millions of them  will never buy one again, anyway am working on a new style hut hope its all i dreamed it would be

Mschmidty

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2002, 03:48 PM »
I use mine all the time.  I mounted an old Dial indicater bracket from my machine shop days and position it right in the hole with my line.  The only critical part I have found is making sure the transducer is level and I insure that by mounting a little bubble level on the head of the transducer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.