Author Topic: underwater cams?  (Read 3065 times)

wick

underwater cams?
« on: Dec 30, 2002, 03:42 PM »
I was thinking of buying a underwater cam mainly for icefishing but for some regular fishing as well. I know Aqua-vu is the most popular but they are expensive. Ive looked over the net and found a Catch cam for 239$ and a Atlantis Cam for 199$ has anyone used or seen one of these other cams and which one do you think is the best, should i get the aqua-vu or is one of the others alright? THANKS for any info. IM looking for a black and white cam.
                                       Thanks again :D ;D :D :)

AdkGuidesForHire

Re: underwater cams?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2003, 05:19 PM »
One of the main reasons we don't take equipment for free is that we can offer honest evaluation then.

We have tried every cam out there and a few proto types as well, right now I'd say hold off if you can for another year.

We really beat the hell out of a new camera that hopefully will be on the market by Digital View in California and it is the best hands down that we have seen.

I was very unimpressed with the aqua and the picture will make you sick over the course of a day. literally sick.

If you can live without it for a bit, do so, I think you'll see prices drop big time when these new cameras come out.

In all cameras we've tried I found the picture distortion to be terrible, the contrast is constantly being messed with as light hits the screen, fish move, backgrounds change, and water clarity is a big problem too.

Over all the best luck we had with cameras was trolling, it is neat to see how many lakers and salmon swing and miss a J plug. sad, but neat.

for ice fishing we completely gave up on them becasue the images gave us headaches.

just my cent and a half. Inflation you know.

wick

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2003, 05:38 AM »
thanks, i dont need one this year, just wanted one so ill hold off till next year. You said they arent real good for Icefishing?

wick

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2003, 05:39 AM »
think mabe i should just stick with my flasher for icefishing?

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2003, 08:39 AM »
Wick,

we are not against cameras, but they are much more limited than sonar.

if you're in 60 feet of water and the fish are suspended but moving at 20 to 30 then a camera isn't going to be much help.

instead of a flasher and camera I'd go with an upgrade into a better sonar unit. something that you can hook a tri beam or side looking sonar to.

The camera on the ice really shows nothing until the fish is right there. You can't see tha bait, or that fish are between you and the camera.

They are fun to play with though. We've seen neat stuff, and it was great to see how the salmon took off when someone drove out onto the ice, but for 25% of what a good camera costs you can get a decent portable fish finder.

It's not all that I wish it was, but we end up using a Hummingbird TX200 and 300 for a lot of ice fishing. We picked one up right from humminbird as a reconditioned unit, in the portable case with a few options for under $100 with shipping and all.  

It is much more useful than a  camera, at least for us.

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2003, 06:36 PM »
Have you ever tried the camera in the view-down position?
                                       Brother#3

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2003, 08:40 PM »
yes.

Hmmm.

Everytime I offer advice based on the cumulative knowledge of being a third generation guide in the Upper Saranac area and having 17 of the best working for me, and being blessed with lots of knowledgeable people who are willing to share that info with me I get my balls busted in private messages.

well, I can be called on the carpet one more time I guess.

I didn't want to imply they were useless, they are a tool.

we have them, we use them. Mainly because we have them. I wouldn't buy them over again.

they do not make sonar obsolete, they  are limited and are no where near worth the money they cost, right now much less when we bought the first one.

We bought am aqua vu in 1997, or '96. not sure which , but I think it was summer of '97. they had just come out so do the math.

I am a diver so I knew it did not have enough light to give us any visibility distance right out of the box. Not here.

The contrast adjustment was ok, but I had to rig lights on it and build a mast to poke it around the structure we wanted to explore.

long story short the first camera cost us close to $1,500 all done and said.

was it worth it? not really.

It showed us that fish were there--- I knew they were cause my sonar showed them.

They were the species we thought they were---we knew that because we know the lakes and rivers and what lives where.

my one brother has fished the Raquette river for over 50 years and he was enthralled to be able to see what he had only guessed the bottom looked like through sonar and bottom samples. He doesn't dive.

anyway.  

They are a good *addition* to an arsenal of fishing tools.

Digital Tech cameras are the best we saw. I'd wait for them to come out. I have been looking for the address of them since this topic came up. It's around here somewhere :'(

visibility in the lakes we fish and live on varied from 3 feet to 8 feet max.
any way you position the head doesn't matter, you can only see as far as you can see

If you think there are fish down there but have no idea what they are and have $300 bucks burning a hole in your pocket get one.

what I was suggesting is instead of getting one now now now, spend the money elsewhere and get a better unit than the flasher. we have them too and they are great tools as well.

sonar can show you fish, structure, depth, thermoclines, bottom type, and bait fish. what more do I need? None of it makes them bite

Some people like to see the fish hit the bait so they know when to pull. at least that's what I'm told. well, so be it.

whatever blows wind up your skirt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.