Author Topic: Live Scope  (Read 2426 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Live Scope
« on: Sep 25, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Looking to purchase a live scope and needing some information.   What unit would you get with it?  Anyone know of instructional videos that are helpful?   Hummingbird has held off on release from what I’ve seen.  Don’t know much about lowrance.  Garmin still the way to go? 

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Live Scope
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Garmin shares technology with lowrance in an agreement. Most folks choose based on their boat electronics. I don’t open water fish, I went with a 93 uhd, aluminum shuttle, summit bag/pole/ mount setup. Amped 30ah battery.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2021, 05:35 AM »
some video to help sift through your choices ..this guys YouTube channel is pretty informative

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Looking to purchase a live scope and needing some information.   What unit would you get with it?  Anyone know of instructional videos that are helpful?   Hummingbird has held off on release from what I’ve seen.  Don’t know much about lowrance.  Garmin still the way to go?

I fished the last 3 full ice seasons with Livescope, it would be hard to go back to a flasher, or graph.  The learning curve is rather steep, but there is enough information out there now, it shouldn't be as big an issue as it was when they first came out.  I would suggest joining the Garmin ice fishing Facebook group, read up and ask the same questions all the newbies do, you will be answered.  Try to hook up with someone in your area that has Livescope, that will help a lot.

As far as equipment to go with the Livescope, I use the Garmin 93 series, I like the bigger screen, it does not cost that much more than the 7". You might consider buying the components separately, you can put together a better package for less money.  I would highly recommend the Summit pole that greenbackhunter mentioned, the Garmin pole is a pain and a waste of money (in my opinion), the Summit pole collapses in itself, fits in a pole bag nicely and is quickly ready for use.  You would probably not go wrong with the bag and shuttle from Summit either, if I was to start over that would be the way I would go.  Everybody has a different twist on what battery system to use, the Livescope does suck a lot of juice, one 10-12 amp battery is not enough, multiple batteries, or the 30 amp would probably a good way to go, don't consider anything other than a lithium battery.  I don't like the Amp brand of battery because they are made and assembled in China and the guy that has the company has tended to publicly bad-mouth the competition, so I would suggest Dakota instead, but that is a personal thing.  You will love Livescope.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Dakota is made in china

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2021, 07:48 AM »
I'm in the middle of piecing together my unit now. Got the UHD 93sv earlier this year on sale. Just picked up the Amped Outdoors 30mah wide and quick connect charger last week. Next on the list is Summit Shuttle and Summit accessories...waiting on Garmin for their fall rebate before pulling the trigger on the black box.

After fishing with buddies that have had Livescope the last couple years, I jumped on the bandwagon. Incredible technology  and such a game changer on locating fish/habitat and observing fish behavior. The LX5 isn't getting retired though...

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Dakota is made in china

Yes, but assembled in the USA by Americans.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Yes, but assembled in the USA by Americans.
Hi there,

Thank you for inquiring about our batteries! Dakota Lithium originated in North Dakota. Currently our R&D, sales, service, and shipping is in Seattle. Our cell and powder research is done in North Dakota. Our batteries are manufactured by vetted partners in China to our exact engineering specifications.

Thanks again,

Keira

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Hi there,

Thank you for inquiring about our batteries! Dakota Lithium originated in North Dakota. Currently our R&D, sales, service, and shipping is in Seattle. Our cell and powder research is done in North Dakota. Our batteries are manufactured by vetted partners in China to our exact engineering specifications.

Thanks again,

Keira

Well it is sad to hear that has happened now, but there is still the bad mouthing from Amped that went on in the past...that is what got me stirred up to begin with.  I can't remember if, or how much of it was happening here, but it certainly was on the Garmin Ice fishing Facebook group, that was just not the way to do business.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Well it is sad to hear that has happened now, but there is still the bad mouthing from Amped that went on in the past...that is what got me stirred up to begin with.  I can't remember if, or how much of it was happening here, but it certainly was on the Garmin Ice fishing Facebook group, that was just not the way to do business.

Amped used to be (or still is?) a sponsor of this website and gave many members a decent discount on batteries over the years. For that reason you'll find this site is biased towards amped outdoors. I question a lot of amped outdoors business tactics, and false claims, over the years.
Da Pack!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2021, 02:55 PM »

I can agree that the amped guy has made some questionable business decisions. Dakota seems to be still trying to profit on being American made while now outsourcing to China. Neither make me want to buy their products at this point.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2021, 09:28 AM »
There are several variables for Garmin packages depending on how you use the unit. For a basic unit the 93uhd is probably the best bang. Now if you intend to use it say in a wheelhouse or connected to a tv or tablet you best go with a GPSMap unit. The 1022 seems to be the most popular. My unit is a EchoMap 93sv plus unit and it does everything I want to do except I can't get the new color palettes. I also run the Summit shuttle with Summit pole and Summit mount in a Clam bag. I have both Amped and Dakota Lithium batteries which both work similar. When I bought my 18 amp I had to buy Amped as Dakota did not have anything that would fit the shuttle. There are now several other companies making batteries just make sure they are LifeP04 from my understanding. My chioce of Garmin was because of less than adequate support from the other two. Good luck with your choice.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2021, 10:20 AM »
There are several variables for Garmin packages depending on how you use the unit. For a basic unit the 93uhd is probably the best bang. Now if you intend to use it say in a wheelhouse or connected to a tv or tablet you best go with a GPSMap unit. The 1022 seems to be the most popular. My unit is a EchoMap 93sv plus unit and it does everything I want to do except I can't get the new color palettes. I also run the Summit shuttle with Summit pole and Summit mount in a Clam bag. I have both Amped and Dakota Lithium batteries which both work similar. When I bought my 18 amp I had to buy Amped as Dakota did not have anything that would fit the shuttle. There are now several other companies making batteries just make sure they are LifeP04 from my understanding. My chioce of Garmin was because of less than adequate support from the other two. Good luck with your choice.

How hard was it to put the shuttle together? I've watched this video a few times, but just wondering if you have any additional tips/advice?

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2021, 11:44 AM »

Wish this video was available when I put mine together. Great info. I think he covers it very well and have only one additional tip. The battery you choose may have different connection than the one he is using. I have found it quite easy to forget to turn off the switch and come back to a dead battery. I chose a spade connection battery so I just unplug it after each use. A lighted switch may help that. Biggest recommendation is take your time and make it enjoyable. Should not have to force anything to fit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.