Author Topic: Only perch eyes for bait?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Only perch eyes for bait?
« on: Sep 18, 2021, 05:55 AM »
As I was cleaning some bluegill a week or 2 ago, I got to thinking about the stories of using perch eyes for bait. Will the eyes from 'gills and crappie work as well or is there some reason we seem to only read about perch eyes for bait? Having never used any eye's for bait, I wonder if I should save a few from my next catch. If there is a reason for only perch eyes I won't bother.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Only perch eyes for bait?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2021, 07:01 AM »
 I have never tried gill eyes ,  , what are you out by giving them a try , I try all kinds of things on perch ,Lakers and walleyes , never hurts to think outside the box ,
 Just an old buzzards .02

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2021, 09:32 AM »
Been my experience that any fish eye works just fine, crappie eyes especially. I think you always hear "perch eye" because perch are usually the target when using eyes, and with every keeper you have fresh bait.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I kinda feel bad for the fish unless they're already dead

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2021, 11:07 PM »
Smelt will bite on another smelt eye.  Well it happened on accident where I hook set and brought up a fighting smelt only to have an eyeball.  Decided to toss that lure back down and boom I caught a smelt on that eye ball.  :P  It could've been the lure but there was an eyeball on the treble.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2021, 05:49 AM »

1 lake I fish has smelt and they are very aggressive, and not fussy

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2021, 06:58 PM »
walleye eyes work great.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2021, 07:55 PM »
What is the best way to preserve a few to try? I'm sure freezing is probably the way but simply as they are or submerged in water, or do they need to be frozen is some sort of weak preservative solution, like a low salt mix? I do keep some perch now and again and could put a few eyes away to try, once dead of course.

I did find a few mentions of other fish eyes, like bluegill and crappie, seems some have had no luck, some have had a bit of luck but perch eyes get the most attention.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:37 AM »
What is the best way to preserve a few to try? I'm sure freezing is probably the way but simply as they are or submerged in water, or do they need to be frozen is some sort of weak preservative solution, like a low salt mix? I do keep some perch now and again and could put a few eyes away to try, once dead of course.

I did find a few mentions of other fish eyes, like bluegill and crappie, seems some have had no luck, some have had a bit of luck but perch eyes get the most attention.

I've never tried it on fish eyes but maybe sodium benzoate would work - trapper's use it to preserve meats/lures.  Maybe Fire Brine or borax would work, also.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2021, 12:57 PM »
We have a 1.25 acre private pond and I routinely catch bullhead, crappie, bluegill and bass using nothing but bluegill eyes. We ice fish to thin out species so as a fish goes on the ice, an eye gets popped out and placed on a jig. Eyes will outfish waxies and minnows on my pond every time - the nice part is they stay on the hook very well and can be used over and over.

Catchin' Fish

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2021, 12:59 PM »

I put mine I a pill bottle with a little bit of vegetable oil and put I the bait fridge
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2021, 01:37 PM »
I bet you could salt them, toughen them up even more and freeze them with zero issues.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2021, 01:45 PM »
I put mine I a pill bottle with a little bit of vegetable oil and put I the bait fridge
That works , it’s not like you need very many to get started

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2021, 02:16 PM »
That works , it’s not like you need very many to get started

I save the eyes from the biggest 3 fish will have more as soon as ya catch a couple fresher 2
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2021, 07:23 PM »
Pill bottle is a great idea; I wonder how long they'll last in the oil bath and 'fridge? I have a pond nearby that I should be able to get some late season open water perch and bluegill from pretty easily if "eyes in oil" have a short shelf life in the fridge.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2021, 09:50 PM »
Pill bottle is a great idea; I wonder how long they'll last in the oil bath and 'fridge? I have a pond nearby that I should be able to get some late season open water perch and bluegill from pretty easily if "eyes in oil" have a short shelf life in the fridge.

They last a good couple weeks in the fridge and oil but usually use them the following week then repeat the process. I'm just a weekend warrior all winter usually fishing both days when I can

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2021, 09:57 PM »
I mainly target perch in the Winter and use perch eyes all the time.  At the start of the season I buy one pack of mousies to get started and then switch over to perch eyes and never buy bait for perch the rest of the Winter.  I just keep a few perch eyes from the fish I catch and use them the next time out.  I freeze them in a small amount of water.  I only use the saved perch eyes to catch the 1st perch the next time because my buddy and I have experimented with saved perch eyes frozen in the freezer vs. fresh perch eyes from a fish caught that day.  Fishing side by side the fresh perch eyes will out catch the frozen ones.  So only keep a couple to get started.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2021, 04:34 AM »

http://
Olive oil is a natural preservative that prevents spoilage by isolating the food from air, providing a seal that can delay oxidation, deterioration and molding.Sep 1, 2010

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2021, 05:04 AM »
Great info, thanks folks!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2021, 05:14 AM »
http://
Olive oil is a natural preservative that prevents spoilage by isolating the food from air, providing a seal that can delay oxidation, deterioration and molding.Sep 1, 2010

Yes Fred is right here I meant olive oil not vegetable oil..however in a pinch vegetable oil or Canola oil will work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.