Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Dressing for ice fishing

Temperature Ratings for Boots

(1/3) > >>

seaocean:
I was initially considering the Baffin Borealis which are rated to -20F as it would double up as my go to boots for snowshoeing/winter backpacking, but then when I try to cross check with this forum's common recommendations (Titans and Impact), I notice that the major difference in insulation (-148F vs Borealis -20F).

Will I be fine with the Borealis?  I never plan to venture out at -10, much less -20 wind chill included.

mr.clean:
 Seaocean while you are actively moving when snowshoeing/winter backpacking you do not need a boot with a high below zero temperature rating until maybe you stop and have camp set up as our body's generate heat when active. Once you have walked to your ice fishing location you can be relatively stationary for long periods of time so the need for a higher below zero temperature rated boot. Many factors play into this your fitness level, how well the boot lining and your sock system (liner and outer sock) wick move moisture to the out side or top of boots to be evaporated,etc. . I reside in South Eastern New York and rarely fish in temperatures of minus 10 or colder including the wind chill my footwear is either a pair of Muck Artic Pro boots (minus 60 rating ) or Cabelas pac boots rated to minus 100. Give the Baffin Borealis a try on a couple ice fishing trips and see how you feet feel they may work for you or you will find a warmer boot is needed to be comfortable while ice fishing. Sorry I can not give you a more definitive answer.
Steve

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: mr.clean on Jul 20, 2021, 09:35 PM --- Many factors play into this your fitness level, how well the boot lining and your sock system (liner and outer sock) wick move moisture to the out side or top of boots to be evaporated,etc.

--- End quote ---

Right on the nose there 100% Also completely correct in a lot of it depending on your weather and how much you're moving.

I have really bad feet (and hands) from severe frostbite back in 2002, so they are cold all the time, even in the summer. I could have my toes stuck in a toaster and they'd still be cold  ::)

No sense in me getting huge clunkers to still have cold feet, so I just use my regular Itasca winter boots to fish. It also just isn't that cold here... we rarely see temps below -10, and even that is maybe only once or twice a year.

If I was still living somewhere colder, I would probably invest in some heavier boots just to prevent another round of frostbite, though, even though they wouldn't help my feet feel any warmer. Having cold feet is unpleasant, but frostbite is 1000x worse.

Also, in ice fishing, a lot of it depends on the soles. You can have all the insulation in the world,  but your feet are going to get cold if the soles are too thin or poorly designed.

Same as mr.clean... not really specifics, but just things to keep in mind.

jrjach75:
I don't think there is any sort of standard in how the boots are rated.

I have three pairs of rubber boots, all rated -40f and they are all very different feeling as far as warmth goes. One of the boots I wouldn't even wear out onto the ice unless it was one of those warmer days that a shelter isn't needed and I wasn't going to be out long. That pair is great for shoveling or snowblowing though.

The other two pairs I have are Striker and Sub Zeros. I put one on each foot, same socks, and in about 5 minutes can tell the Sub Zeros are much warmer feeling.

Rebelss:
Those ratings are a crock, IMO. Who rates them, and how?  The company takes a wild guess at it, as no standardized rating system that I'm aware of.
I have a couple different pairs I wear with the same wool socks; one is rated at -20, and my feet are always toasty in 'em. Have a pair of Kamiks that are rated -40, and they're junk. My feet are freezin' in an hour of wearing 'em.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version