Author Topic: Ice Fishings Biggest Gimmick?  (Read 27847 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishings Biggest Gimmick?
« Reply #90 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:45 AM »
Good stuff Nor Easter. I love this place.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #91 on: Nov 22, 2009, 06:48 AM »
Hazzy's got a bunch of 'em. I doubt he'd ever part with them though.
I got 3 of em  hanging on the wall to remind me somethings are just crap!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:08 AM »
I have a cube also.....I only use shelter if its high winds or extremely cold, but have never had an issue with mine.......I set it up as a base camp when i arrive then hole hop......keep my extra gear in and a place to get a quick warm up....It fits perfectly within my jetsled.....I did see the Frabill's this year, and i did  like the 2 door option, and would consider that if something should happen to mine......

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:23 AM »
Some of the new Jiffy augers are junk all plastic and Made in China engines.  ??? ???

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Nov 29, 2009, 11:58 AM »
I have a cube also.....I only use shelter if its high winds or extremely cold, but have never had an issue with mine.......I set it up as a base camp when i arrive then hole hop......keep my extra gear in and a place to get a quick warm up....It fits perfectly within my jetsled.....I did see the Frabill's this year, and i did  like the 2 door option, and would consider that if something should happen to mine......

Ditto!  I have a Shappell 6000.  Excellent, lightweight, large shelter.  You tied it off with ice anchors and it will withstand strong winds. 

MD

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #95 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:38 PM »
Some of the new Jiffy augers are junk all plastic and Made in China engines.  ??? ???

Any experience to back up that comment?  They still have less plastic than strikemaster.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I see people saying rope lights, i will take that one further- the Clam rope lights. A candle is brighter than they are

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Nov 30, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Any experience to back up that comment?  They still have less plastic than strikemaster.

I bought a new Jiffy last year (w/ the tecumseh motor) but I don't know that I would buy one this year...I went and looked at a couple this year but the plastic thing that they have the start switch mounted to is WAY flimsy and what is with that exhaust redirecter thing?!?!?  that will get bent/broken the second trip out unless you are extremely carefull with it.  And not to get picky but I don't like all the plastic on the throttle linkage either.  It may run great and cut holes like a mother (I have never seen one running in person) but I'll stick with (what is now) my old school Jiffy!  ;)

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #98 on: Nov 30, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Good stuff Nor Easter. I love this place.

Don't speak so soon, you haven't heard me play!  Or Sing! :-[

Some of the new Jiffy augers are junk all plastic and Made in China engines.

Since when is an auger a "Gimmick"? Attach one of those Hole Hawgs, and you have a gimmick. Alone, an auger is a tool, with some a little better than others, JMO
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #99 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I bought a new Jiffy last year (w/ the tecumseh motor) but I don't know that I would buy one this year...I went and looked at a couple this year but the plastic thing that they have the start switch mounted to is WAY flimsy and what is with that exhaust redirecter thing?!?!?  that will get bent/broken the second trip out unless you are extremely carefull with it.  And not to get picky but I don't like all the plastic on the throttle linkage either.  It may run great and cut holes like a mother (I have never seen one running in person) but I'll stick with (what is now) my old school Jiffy!  ;)

That's the thing about these new augers, I haven't seen one in action either, but I'm going to be smart enough to withhold any judgement about them until I do see one in action.  Everyone on here is raving about the Solo Strikemaster, yet in mass production they have yet to prove anything.

Gimmicks....  I know everyone is going to bash me for this one, but the Automatic Fisherman.  I love to set my own hook and hand over hand a fish through the hole, why do I need a pole to do it for me?  This one probably is more of a gimmick to those of us who really love our old fashioned tip-ups.  They may work, but why?

Offline Fins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:02 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I bought this piece of crap.By far the worst thing i have bought for ice fishing.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #101 on: Jan 03, 2010, 04:30 PM »
That's the thing about these new augers, I haven't seen one in action either, but I'm going to be smart enough to withhold any judgement about them until I do see one in action.  Everyone on here is raving about the Solo Strikemaster, yet in mass production they have yet to prove anything.

Gimmicks....  I know everyone is going to bash me for this one, but the Automatic Fisherman.  I love to set my own hook and hand over hand a fish through the hole, why do I need a pole to do it for me?  This one probably is more of a gimmick to those of us who really love our old fashioned tip-ups.  They may work, but why?
I wrote a review of the new jiffy pro II, it sucks.  Made a lot of gear noise that sounded like self distruction, non metal everywhere, pull rope is a foot shorter than the older model jiffy, basically it's been in the progress of being replaced/repaired for a month now....nice thing since it's ice fishing season. Don't sell your old jiffy's off. My 28 year old one runs better than the new one that isn't here.
Thread killer

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #102 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Crappie candle.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:05 PM »
Gator's Lightweight Battery.

Are you talking about the lithium Ion ones that just came out?  If so, what's wrong with them?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Nothing, as far as I know.  At about $600 per battery pack, I would think they'd be plated in gold!
I'm just miffed that when I purchased my Gator (first generation) last year, there was talk of a lightweight
battery coming out within a year or so, but it would be pricey at first.  Well, I guess that was a substantiated rumor, but the kicker is that the battery is only for GenII Gators....not that I could have afforded a $600 battery pack.

BW
Batteries costing $600, $500 jiffiy's that are suspect, it really makes me appreciate my 25 year old spud that cost me $20 and I can sharpen it first try, it always starts, and it always works.  Call me wishing for the old days to come back.  Spud two holes and catch the same amount of fish....I do love my electronics though.
Thread killer

Offline Mudpout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:06 AM »
I have one of the new Jiffy's, 2nd trip and i busted that retarded quick release contraption.   I knew it would break the second i saw it.   Hope the rest holds up a lil better.  WTH were they thinking?  It takes longer to try and slide that cover over the pin then it does to justpull a cotter pin or something.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:31 AM »
I have one of the new Jiffy's, 2nd trip and i busted that retarded quick release contraption.   I knew it would break the second i saw it.   Hope the rest holds up a lil better.  WTH were they thinking?  It takes longer to try and slide that cover over the pin then it does to justpull a cotter pin or something.
I have had the retainer plastic thing get damaged on the cuff, it might cause me to loose the pin.....only my pin, cuff, and powerhead are all misplaced somewhere in MN. on a return for repairs.
maybe I get to use it before spring.  Jan 22, power head back, no pin and cuff. Now a nice shinny new bolt works even better. Nut and lock washer look snazzy. I always wanted to be an engineer but could never spell it, and now I are one.
Thread killer

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Jan 11, 2010, 12:43 AM »
  Wow, I was suprised to see several people mention the Buz Stix!  I just got the Auto Buzz since the wholesaler was clearing them out.  Took it out Friday and it out-produced any of the other deadsticking rods, and by a long shot.  Wouldn't spend the money on one if I only fished one rod, but have a few in the water at once, the programmed jigging made a huge difference.

Jim

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:40 AM »
Slush inhaler.

Adapters for hand held electric drills.

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
« Reply #109 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:38 AM »
salmo chubby darters are by far the biggest gimmick for me.  I have never had a bite or caught a fish on one of these so-called amazing fish catchers.

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 25, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Never laughed so hard when I saw this post I immediately thought of that POS auto jigger I have sitting in my garage collecting dust and low and behold everyone else had the same thought. I got suckered into thinking a jigging tip up would work. Good to see I wasn't the only one
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #111 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:50 PM »
This will ruffle a few feathers, but Vexilar advertising Target "ID" instead of their bottom of the barrel target seperation, what a sucker move! >:(

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Pop-It strobe light for glow jigs.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:21 AM »
I think we can all agree that there are gimmicks we all fall for from time to time.  Especially with summer fishing gear!  I go wtih the basics during the summer for Bass.....spinner baits, texas rig, crank baits.....those are not gimmicks cuz they definately produce.  However, when the bite is slow I digress to the 10 inch night crawler tossed near a log!  BAM!!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline moshpitbull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • no shrimp
« Reply #114 on: Feb 16, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Chineese blades on the strikemaster name
dude, it looks like you painted black stripes on the backs of the baitfish!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Chineese blades on the strikemaster name

Isn't that the truth.   Just junk.....    Didn't even get 2" deep and already more trouble than my dull swedish blades.   :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline Skidway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Strikemaster blades made in china / they will replace free if you call or email ser.# on blades!! 

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Strikemaster power pt auger.  :%$#!: Put a new one on my 49cc Lazer Mag III Plus and you might as well have given me a spoon hand auger ::) Junk..
Tim Rogers

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2010, 11:08 PM »
I don't use my Slush Inhaler with my porty, but I use it and a Slush Box in my wheel house all the time. It sure beats having ice chips all over the carpet melting when it gets warmed up. One product that has me wondering is the Fish Elevator. I have never seen one, but some people swear by them. I haven't lost enough fish at the hole to make me want one.
2nd that makes quick work of cleaning holes in the perm. shack.  and dont carry mine around ever, just leave it in the perm. shack.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.