The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Road Trip from Cleveland to Milwaukee & Green Bay  (Read 706 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Road Trip from Cleveland to Milwaukee & Green Bay
« on: Dec 04, 2018, 08:54 AM »
A buddy and I have always talked about doing a road trip to get on some ice, and it looks like we might be able to finally coordinate this year.  We're hoping to come up to Milwaukee to fish for those big brown's for a full day, then drive up to Green Bay for 2.5 more days of fishing and plan on targeting whitefish and walleye.  The dates we are looking at are 1/3-1/7.

For the brown trout in Milwaukee, we plan on setting a couple jawjackers each with either a minnor or spawn sac, and jigging a little cleo inside the shack.  This is the same setup we do here for steelhead in the Cleveland harbors, am I on the right track with the setup?  Anybody have any recommendations access points?  I have no familarity to the area, and we haven't booked the hotel yet, so it'd be nice to have a hotel near where we would fish.

Also, is there normally safe ice in early January?  When up in Green Bay, we were advised to go out of Bayshore Park and Red River Park.  Anybody have any feedback regarding these access points?  We will be walking, if that makes any difference.

I appreciate any help we can get and I apologize for all the questions.  Just trying to be as best prepared as we can be.  Also, if anyone wants to meet up that weekend, let me know!  Thanks!

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Road Trip from Cleveland to Milwaukee & Green Bay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:06 PM »
RSTOCK 521,
Haven't fished the harbors of Milwaukee. Might want to give a call to Dick Smith's Bait and Tackle(262) 646-2218 and ask if they have any info about fishing Milwaukee harbor's.
Wife and I go to Sturgeon Bay (north of Green Bay) every year for white fish.
Check out Groupon for guides that will drive you out to heated ice houses. Usually a mile and a half out.
Pretty cheap.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Dale, thanks for the reply.  That's funny about Dick Smith Bait and Tackle because I just ordered a few Ice Stoppers from them online and didn't even realize they are located right near where we are going to be.  I'll have to give them a call.  And thanks for the Groupon tip!  I would have never thought of that, and it may not be a bad idea to get a guide for a day to learn the program, then do the other two days on our own.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:27 PM »
In Milwaukee you will want Veterans park for the harbor, but a bit less known but still very popular amongst the locals and guides is the pond on the summerfest grounds. If you have to jig a popular jig is a tinsel bucktail. Most set up 3 automatic fisherman/jackers with either a medium Golden shiner or a fresh spawn sack. There is some neon powder a lot of guys use that adds a bit of flash to your minnow tail. Dk's magic powder.

As for G.B. I would head for Larsens reef if you are willing to pay for a ride out or can get access to a wheeler. Otherwise walking off lime kiln road is only a 2-300 yard walk on to some very productive fishing. Make sure you come prepared if fishing either of these spots to fish upwards of 80' deep. Lime kiln more like 40'. My first time showing up I was ill prepared and found my line to be inadequate on my favorite rod.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.