The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dangerous Ice Report - Vehicles/People Going Through The Ice  (Read 2926 times)

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharing news on vehicles or people going through the ice may help keep other fishermen on the right side of the ice.

Petenwell Lake - This happened at Longview point on Petenwell. I have heard the current sweeps right past this point which creates a heave every year there.

Stay safe out there!

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dangerous Ice Report - Vehicles/People Going Through The Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:08 PM »
I can’t read the FB post... ice that thin that far north? I would’ve thought ice is all good up that way. Spring fed lake? Recent warm spell??
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Looks like they took the video down. I know there was a lot of critiquing of the towing companies removal process, I imagine it got ugly...

I posted pics in the original post. Not sure if the cause was weak ice at the heave or thin ice due to current, but the truck went in.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Petenwell is a flowage always current running through it. Like any flowage type river system you better know where the current areas are. Flowage are always scary to me trying to drive a truck on. I will stick with a snowmobile on flowages.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Yep. Just a wide spot in the Wisconsin River. Better know what you're doing...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Seems to be  a yearly ritual here in Ont on L. Simcoe as well!!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Longview point is a habitual bad spot on petenwell. 

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2018, 09:59 PM »
It's probably no surprise but there were several vehicles that went in over the weekend on lake Winnebago with the battle in town. There was a truck that broke through in millers bay. There were two trucks in by blackbird island. And 4 people rescued at the mouth of the river(not sure if they were in a truck or what). We had a day last this week with 5 trucks all over the lake fell(2 of wich were driving by the mouth) in as the traffic ramped up prefishing the battle.

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:34 PM »
No surprise at all, late ice with high temps is too sketchy for me to venture out.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Saw a couple guys go through on Lake Onalaska Monday night in an area where emergent weeds ate the ice up good.  First guy got himself out then threw a rope to his buddy who was chest deep.  There is still close to 20" of ice in some areas but it's coming up chunky when you drill and the hole fills with water when you've still got a few inches to go.  Time for extreme caution if you're heading out in the southern part of the state this weekend.   
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline AlphaRooster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2018, 11:41 AM »
We lost a guy up here in Manitowish Waters on the 7th -went through on his skidsteer,and 2 went through Fox Lake in the central part of the state,both died.I'm hearing reports of people going through and rescues from all over -BE CAREFUL !!!  they are only fish and they will wait for you until spring.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I'm getting reports from NE Wi and the UP saying there's so much ice you need an extension and guys are still driving out. Best bet, use a spud and drill your way off the boat landings to see how much ice there is before taking a truck out.

I just ordered a KDrill extension this morning.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Yes auger extension is needed up here. I was out on 26" yesterday bottom 21" was clear hard ice My F150 was parked over 60 ft. of water. Trucks still driving all over the lake, Stay away from current area's. Yesterday was the first time the snow has gone down enough to drive out and not get stuck in snow. All the slush has frozen solid. We were still getting down in single digits most of last week at night. Still lots of ice fishing to be had up here. We got another 1" of snow last night. I retired my K-drill even with the extension it is too much strain on the drill imo. I am using my old jiffy mod. 30 with an extension and still need to bend over quite a bit. These days with highs in the low to mid 40°'s isn't doing much to the snow or ice.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2018, 02:09 PM »
This guy wants to provide stiff competition for the Darwin Award!! On Lake Simcoe, Ont! Note the open water to right!! ;D :o ::)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:32 PM »
I have seen a lot of places like that, a spring hole or current area. 100 feet away could be 2 feet + of hard ice. If you know your lake it might not be a big deal.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I have seen a lot of places like that, a spring hole or current area. 100 feet away could be 2 feet + of hard ice. If you know your lake it might not be a big deal.

I've stood on a river channel with open water literally one step in front of me with 18" of ice under my my feet. True.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.