Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Any luck on Clear Lake  (Read 6612 times)

Offline waterbug

• IceShanty Rookie
Any luck on Clear Lake
« on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Went fishing  Sunday on Clear Lake. Great day to be out but the fish weren't bitting for me. Anybody out there have better luck than I did ?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any luck on Clear Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2005, 03:04 PM »
where were you fishing?

Offline waterbug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2005, 03:16 PM »
where were you fishing?

East of Farmers beach closer to the south shore in 11 feet of water. Pretty much straight across from pump house on north shore drive.

Madtrapper

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:28 PM »
HI THERE--I was there ALLLLLLLL day,from Farmers north,hole hopping,one little bite at 10 am,thats it,talk to a people around and all said the same,the bite STOP ??? ???--OHHH WILLL ,TODAY I'LL BE BACK ;D-----

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:22 PM »
Fished Billys Reef Friday night in 6ft of water caught a few small eyes and 2 keepers.  Got out there about 7:30.fished till about 12.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's as good as ICE FISHING
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:24 PM »
I fished a bit east of  Farmers Beach Sunday, 2pm to 7pm.  The three of us got 1 striped bass.  Was a nice to day to be out though.  Got to meet up with "Coldwater" shawn and friend George and their wifes.  Was nice to finally meet them.  Looks like a good share of the huts had moved towards north shore closer to the aerator.  Not sure how anyone over there was doing. Picture of my grandaughter that was with us .  She's 3 years old and is already asking grandpa to take her fishing.
[/img]
[/img]

Offline Old Blue

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Great pictures!  Took my 3 year old out to North Prairie in Cedar Falls after they had stocked trout.  Just got the tent set up and ready to roll and she stuck her leg down one of the holes and all Hell broke loose.  Never got a line wet.  She was freezing and I rushed her home.  Doubt she ever sticks her boot in a hole again!! 

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2005, 10:40 PM »
LOL, I'm afraid it's bound to happen to us too.  Heck, I've even stepped backwards and almost trip in my own holes.  Sorry to hear your trip didn't go so well, hopefully it won't discourge her.  I've already learned to take a change of clothes for her (head to toe) and her potty chair from home (that saved us plenty of time already). I just try and take here when the weather is decent and keep the hut warm. 

Good luck on your next trip..
Tom

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:38 PM »
Waterbug & Coldfisherman I see the green glow worm behind Icey Tom. Just wondering how the ice is holding up in this weather. Sounds like someone dropped a tire in at Brushy over some wood. Things should freeze up by Monday the way it sounds, back to winter ;D

Good luck up there!!!
Crowbait

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2005, 12:32 AM »
6 and 10 a clock news showed a toyota truck busted thru clear lake. Not at the bottom but it looked like the right side busted thru?  They also said a few people were taking there shacks to shore today. 

In my opinion it's safe theres 20+ inches in most spots. 

Supposed to be in the low 50s till sat.  SO make sure to wear shorts and t shirt.  Should be a good re-freeze after that though.  I HOPE!

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2005, 08:07 AM »
Hiya CROWBAIT!

Like CRAPPIEBUSTER said there is still lotsa ice. It's kinda sloppy by shore where you drive on but hopefilly we will get a freeze after this HEATWAVE! ;D

We'll probably go out today and I'll post up on the condition of the road by the shore.

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2005, 09:13 PM »
I'm doing my cold weather dance tonight and praying to the ice gods.  Hope it helps.

Saw this quote somewhere " fishin till the bottom drops out" - just make sure the shack is off the ice first, and have clean underwear on for when the ice divers come to drag your cold, blue, stiff, slimey, contorted body out of the water......

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2005, 10:10 PM »
I'm doing my cold weather dance tonight and praying to the ice gods.  Hope it helps.

Saw this quote somewhere " fishin till the bottom drops out" - just make sure the shack is off the ice first, and have clean underwear on for when the ice divers come to drag your cold, blue, stiff, slimey, contorted body out of the water......

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT MADE ME LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!
We pulled the glow-worm off the ice today. The ice is still real good but gettin on and off is gettin bad. We ended up drivin on by the DNR building by Bayside. Most of the approaches are really sloppy with water pretty deep. We will use Waterbugs 4 wheeler to haul out the "WORM" till it freezes good again.

I wont go too deep into my story of the one that got away but Waterbug saw it. I had a 24 to 30 inch northern right up in the hole today  :o and he got away.  :-[ He hit the minnow when I was lowering it down  after catching a dink walleye and I thought it was just another dink. Man I was bummed the rest of the day.  :( :( :(
 Might have been a muskie I couldn't tell for sure. George agreed with me on the size estimate. It was two feet anyhow. Man did that hurt. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA >:( >:(

Stay in touch man and good luck and BRING ON THE FREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep doin that dance!

Peace Man!
CESAR

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2005, 09:46 AM »
 :unsure: :'( Hey, I can just picture it.  Legs and arms flying all over the place trying to keep that thing from sliding back down.  Sucks don't it... Oh well, he'll still be there for ya to catch again, incentive.....My son-in-law that was with me the other day (Eric) got a 25" out of the hole while we at Silver Lake a few weeks ago.
It came off the hook and flopped around in the shack for a bit until it went tail first into the same hole and sssslllllooowwwwllllll lyyyyy slid away.  Oh well, it's all fun anyway.  I might try to get out Sunday.  May have to just hike out with a handful of gear and sit on a bucket.  Depends on the weather... I still have to catch a "decent" eye...

See ya on the slush, er, ice...

Tom

Offline waterbug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2005, 10:55 AM »
I think coldfisherman should change his nane to cryingfisherman. When he lost that fish he cried so much our ice hut started to float. Everytime he looks in that hole he'll see that big fish slipping away. All I can say is ,"It's happens to all of us some time or another".

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT MADE ME LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!
We pulled the glow-worm off the ice today. The ice is still real good but gettin on and off is gettin bad. We ended up drivin on by the DNR building by Bayside. Most of the approaches are really sloppy with water pretty deep. We will use Waterbugs 4 wheeler to haul out the "WORM" till it freezes good again.

I wont go too deep into my story of the one that got away but Waterbug saw it. I had a 24 to 30 inch northern right up in the hole today  :o and he got away.  :-[ He hit the minnow when I was lowering it down  after catching a dink walleye and I thought it was just another dink. Man I was bummed the rest of the day.  :( :( :(
 Might have been a muskie I couldn't tell for sure. George agreed with me on the size estimate. It was two feet anyhow. Man did that hurt. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA >:( >:(

Stay in touch man and good luck and BRING ON THE FREEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep doin that dance!

Peace Man!
CESAR

Offline Old Blue

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Hey IceyTom,

Good advice on the extra set of clothes/boots for my little girl.  I will have her out on the ice again soon.  Good luck on your next trip as well.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2005, 02:36 PM »
I heard from someone the other day (friday) that no one was driving out on the lake,ramps were in bad to dangerous shape?  Today(saturday) its 50+ with a 20mph S Wind plus sunshine...20mphWind+sun+ consecutive 50 degree days=DANGEROUS ICE  Tommorow calls for temps in the 40s and an 80% chance of RAIN :( plus more wind.. 10 day forecast looks bleak at  best.  Pits are even starting to open up! Its pretty much done for in my opinion if we get that rain...Looks like there could be some stranded shacks? this is the most sickening ice fishing season ever.  ANd thats putting it lightly! 

I wonder if they make PFD's for trucks? :o

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2005, 06:17 PM »

I wonder if they make PFD's for trucks? :o

LMAO!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

There were some trucks on the lake today.  :woot:
 Don't know where they are goin on though :flex:

Peace Man! CESAR

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Coldwater, did you make it out on the ice Fri. afternoon or Sat.?  I'm going out tonight and see if I can catch some nice bait fish out of the creek.  Then go after some hefty walleyes Sun.  My guess the edges are just melting and getting sloppy but you should be able to at least walk out a bit and get on good ice.  We'll see tomorrow.  I should wear my scuba suit, (wet suit not a dry suit) just in case I fall in.  That way I'll last an hour in the frigid water instead of 15 minutes.:woot: :woot:  High's next week in the 20's, I guess the ice gods are teasing us...

later
Tom

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Hey Tom!

We were out Fri aft! That was the big fish episode. :( :( :( :( :(

Waterbug told me today that people were now driving on by Docks restauraunt. ;D ;D That's been blocked by snow all year but I guess it's open now. As the aproches turn to crap locals here will keep opening up new ones. TONS of easy places to walk on and still plenty of ice..
ALL I NEED NOW IS BIGGUNS!

Their was so much water on the ice Fri. that I caught a yellow and he layed in the water puddle for like two hours and stayed alive. I put him back and after a minute he swam nicely away. We didn't even catch enough to clean. :unsure:

I live just south of the areator on the south shore and you can drive on at the end of my street if ya got sack. Still lotsa fishin left just don't wanna take a vehicle out right now.
 We are goin out tomorrow. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

YEA!!! THE BOTTOM AIN'T DROPPIN OUT YET!  :tipup:

Lemme know when you are coming up next. We'll hook up with you. I'll PM ya my land line.

BIG FISHES ARE ON THE WAY!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2005, 12:09 PM »
heard something the other day about a 4-wheeler going thru?  is it that bad?
http://www.kimt.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=KIMT/MGArticle/IMT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780677421&path=

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2005, 12:33 PM »
heard something the other day about a 4-wheeler going thru?  is it that bad?
http://www.kimt.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=KIMT/MGArticle/IMT_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780677421&path=

This cold snap should help. I HOPE! :thumbsup:

Weather turned so crappy that we didn't go out Sat. and of coures the ball game kept me home yesterday. We plan on goin out tomorrow mornin. Still plenty of big houses on the ice so I aint too scared. We'll haul the hut with the 4 wheeler though.

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Might wanna re-think that i was over there today and some guys shack fell thru by gillmores only the roof is sticking thru. Guess it was a real nice one too.  Guess atvs cant even get out some guy dumped his in at one of the ramps.

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:36 AM »
Just use some good sense and be careful guys.  Hope we all have some more ice time to come.  I'm shakin my booty.....

later
Tom

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Hi all,

Hope all you hardwater nuts haven't fallen through up there.... With the shoreline opening up, coldfisherman did you get the jet boat out and do some trolling?? ;D Everyone be safe out there. Keep the posts coming on what's goin on.

Thanks Crowbait  :tipup:       

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:18 PM »
Hey CROWBAIT!  ;D

The cold weather here has helped with the lake considerably. People were drivin on yesterday even after all the concern. I'm not sure but I think most of them we saw were driving on at south bay. :thumbsup:

We took the four wheeler and the shack out yesterday. We fished from noon till almost 5:00. Just a few yellows and a dink walleye though. Waterbug skunked me! >:(

We set up by Big Reef in 13 feet of water.

There was a good 16 inches of ice out there.

On the way back in we left the hut set up and I rode in it. Boy was that scary!  :o :o :o The ice was great where we were but it was a bumpy noisy ride. I sat in the doorway on my bucket. I swear Waterbug was goin 30 but he said only 7 mph. I think he's full a beans. Don't think I'll do that again!

It's not peechy keen everywhere though. These guys were over by Gilmore's reef and were working to get this hut out the whole time we were out. It still wasn't out when we had to go.

They had a car, a four wheeler, a truck and a trailer out there. With all that I can't figure out for the life of me why the house would have gone through. This pic was on the front of the Globe today. Ice looks pretty thin there.

We're goin out again tomorrow and will probably head over to the west end again. I'll post up if we have some good luck.

Peace Man! 8)
CESAR

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Fished Billy's today for a little bit didnt expect to catch much got out there about 11:30 fished till 1:30.  Ice was sure vocal today, didnt know if it was building or what. Just follow the tire tracks around the big sinkhole at the ramp and youll be fine :-\.  Think I might head out this afternoon and get in some time also... WHILE THERES STILL ICE!!!!

Offline crowbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Hey coldfisherman,

Great pics!!!! That's a shame that house had to drop in. :%$#!:

I think I know what happened, they caught that BIG northern that got off your hook a week ago. They must have landed it  :flex: and it was sooooooooooo big the ice couldn't hold it up and went down....Aren't you glad you didn't land it....I would've hated to see your lighted door bell glowing under 13 feet of water.

Later man
Crowbait

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2005, 06:09 PM »
I wonder if those 40 yr shingles on the shack are keeping the water out?  ;D ;D ;D

I've been talking with a few guys down this way and we've been trying to decide if we should head up for the day Sunday.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how things go from other posts through the next couple of days.  Here's to better fishing!

Offline Icey Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2005, 10:37 PM »
Hey Crowbait.  I'm headed down near Ankeny this weekend.  Any reports about fishing spots down that way.  How's the ice? Thought I remember you saying you lived down that way, maybe Des Moines?

Nice pictures Coldwater.  Did you try and do any trolling while Waterbug was towing you? 

Waterbug, maybe Coldwater can return the favor this summer with a tow behind that honkin Olds machine.. That would be cool...

Crappiebuster - Billies reef doin any good? I used to fish the mud flats alot (years ago), North and a bit West of there.  Always got eyes at nite.  Have you seen anybody fishing that area?

Badgercreekfreak - Maybe I'll pass you going the other way on I35 this weekend.  Any reports from Brushy Creek?  My son-in-law fishes the area alot and wants to get out while I'm there this weekend.  Looking to catch a few crappies from a local small lake that he has access to.  Haven't caught any crappies yet this year, so looking for so decent fishing time on the ice..

Old Blue - Did you get back out on the ice yet?  Sounds like warm temps for the weekend.  I'll try and take my 4 yr old grandson with us if ice is decent.  How's the bite over your way, slow too?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.