Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819469 times)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Slayer, it just takes 1-2 hours to make. You will be done in no time and making life alot easier pulling your gear on the snow/ice. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Well....with this 50 degree weather in NW Illinois today, my sled pasted the slush and water test today. We also killed the bluegill this afternoon and also a 13" Largemouth! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 07, 2009, 11:09 PM »
After this thaw I may use water skis! >:(
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Thanks for the sled idea smitty. I built one to carry my 2 man Frabil and all the crap (too much) and it worked great. I made it so I could pull it with my 4 wheeler, I made mods so the cross bars bolted down, as I said worked great BUT it became to much work to assemble at the lake, in a hurry to get fishin. Soooo I have to think about "more" mods to make assembly not as time consuming. Did not take any pics... Sorry! After mods I'll get some pic's.

Offline Grush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 15, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Thanks for the great idea OP!

I took what you did and with some PVC made a top carrier for it that works perfectly with the grooves in the shanty.

Here are some pics.

Thanks again for the great idea!

Grush.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 15, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Looks great Grush! Smitty

Offline tenbears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Here's my new homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I,m not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty
(Image removed from quote.)

;D Just wanted to let you know that your sled idea looks real neat.  I may try to build one in the future.  thanks for the idea. ;D ;DTENBEARS

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Zoo's "Ice Rocket", thanks "Smitty" it works & pull's (by hand) like a dream with over
100 lbs. on it!

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Pg. 2

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Last Pg

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Very nice Zoo! Smitty

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:08 AM »
These look Great!
:D
I would suggest that, for those who build these sleds...The higher you go with the blocks on the skis you 'll probably end up needing some sort of diagonal bracing, to keep the load from tipping sideways(or longer vertical bolts to keep it from shearing over.). Particularly if you are going to use a snowmobile or atv to haul it. Or if you are going over rough terrain/snowdrifts/heaves/etc..

Great idea & great topic!
Thanks!
Love the ingenuity!
;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:37 AM »
Very good tip sportsman. I too thought it could get top heavy if you go too high. Smitty

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #73 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:51 AM »
Very sharp sleds !!

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #74 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Thanks for the sled idea smitty. I built one to carry my 2 man Frabil and all the crap (too much) and it worked great. I made it so I could pull it with my 4 wheeler, I made mods so the cross bars bolted down, as I said worked great BUT it became to much work to assemble at the lake, in a hurry to get fishin. Soooo I have to think about "more" mods to make assembly not as time consuming. Did not take any pics... Sorry! After mods I'll get some pic's.

A guy at work like it so much and has a bigger/heaver ice shack than I do so I gave him my seld. Now I am building another one ASAP!! Off to HD in a few min. to get what I need, I have the ski's already. I'll take pictures of this one.

Offline FishME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wicked Good!
« Reply #75 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Nice sled!!!  There's been a few times I've wished I had something like that!!! :o

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:49 AM »
A guy at work like it so much and has a bigger/heaver ice shack than I do so I gave him my seld. Now I am building another one ASAP!! Off to HD in a few min. to get what I need, I have the ski's already. I'll take pictures of this one.
You could have just gave him the idea....but no, you gave him your sled! Very nice man Hank! Way to go! Smitty

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 21, 2009, 04:21 PM »
I wave a sorta simialr deal but its built up off the ground and has a shelf with bucket holes in it and 2 y's for the agar keeps everything from falling off in rough conditions. nothing worse than  spillin the minnows.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Finished mine for my Clam 5600.  Used some ballet skis, they are about an inch wider than normal.  Pulls like a dream.  Used the PVC to make the rack for the top...very easy build.  Now for the primer and paint.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline tenbears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:53 AM »
 ;D Hello Smitty,  I like the set up for the neat sled.  How are the skies attached to the wood frame on top of them?  And are you using a wrench to attach the cross support boards?  Your info appreciated.  TENBEARS

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 26, 2009, 09:35 AM »
The skis are screwed into the wooden blocks.  Heads are countersunk.  The cross members are just pushed snuggly into the slots.  The weight of the stuff on top of the cross members keeps the sled together.

This way, the sled can be taken apart to fit in a small space in the vehicle.

Offline Jigmeister

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 26, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Neat!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 27, 2009, 02:54 PM »
The skis are screwed into the wooden blocks.  Heads are countersunk.  The cross members are just pushed snuggly into the slots.  The weight of the stuff on top of the cross members keeps the sled together.

This way, the sled can be taken apart to fit in a small space in the vehicle.
Nicely explained. Smitty :)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #83 on: Feb 27, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Nice sleds!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #84 on: Feb 27, 2009, 07:19 PM »

Here is mine. The frame is built with metal studs. Very light.

Built a storage area for my poles and tackle out of 1/4' inlay, again to keep it light.

Poles snap right down, tackle stays in place and the cover stays up on its own.

A little working area on the back to set what ever you may have keeping it off the ice and snow.

DX 3000 sets right on top of the sled. I put my buckets and power augur on top.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Awsome sled iceline! Smitty

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Had the sled working again yesterday....

"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Mar 01, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Here is a picture of mine...working great!
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Mar 10, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Well, with all the warm/wet weather around here in northern IL, the ice fishing season is over for me. The sled is taking up very little space in my garage. I want to add some eye bolts or something to my shanty so I can add ice anchors for those windy days, that will be my off season project. Smitty

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Hando, your lucky you only have that much snow.. its hard pulling anything through all the snow we get up here in MN.  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.