Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 5273 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #30 on: Sep 12, 2020, 09:59 PM »
are they Red Green specials? What is that gripper made from?

I have a set and it's like 15 yrs old.  I don't use it much, since I bought actual crampons.  If I remember right, the metal plate is some alloy type that is rust resistant.  Haven't seen any corrosion on mine.  I figure that if the latex ever breaks, I'll just use some shoestrings to lace them in place.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 13, 2020, 08:48 AM »
No more flat backing for me. Put cricket cleats in my NEOS over shoes.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Sep 13, 2020, 08:50 AM »
No more flat backing for me. I put cricket cleats in my NEOS over shoes

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Sep 13, 2020, 08:51 AM »
No more flat backing for me. I put cricket cleats in my neos overshoes.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2020, 06:28 AM »
are they Red Green specials? What is that gripper made from?

Mine are R/G specials now as they have been repaired with bungee but the gripper part originally came with the green latex on a card. Mine were called Arctic Spurs but I have also seen them marketed as K&E Ice Chisel Boot Cleats. Same product, two different names. The gripper part is some sort of heavily zinc plated steel. Gotta be pretty decent steel too as I haven't bent mine (and I'm no Tiny Tim) and they stay plenty pointy despite lots of miles on ice plus the abuse they get on gravel and asphalt parking lots or roads.

When I get back north I'll take a pic of the bungee repair. I think that could apply to a number of creepers with failed straps. It's cheap and so durable it's positively amazing.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Sep 14, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Thx---I thought that the metal part might have been some sort of gusset used for framing wood construction. So faux RG you might say
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Sep 14, 2020, 08:13 AM »
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ke-ice-chisel-boot-cleats/

I had cleats similar to these to by HT ..After a day or two of tip up fishing the bottom arch of my feet would hurt for days ..eventfully got Stabilizers ..help alot ..but went and sticking to Kahtoola..could be on ice all day and no pain.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Sep 14, 2020, 10:49 PM »
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ke-ice-chisel-boot-cleats/

I had cleats similar to these to by HT ..After a day or two of tip up fishing the bottom arch of my feet would hurt for days ..eventfully got Stabilizers ..help alot ..but went and sticking to Kahtoola..could be on ice all day and no pain.
Same experience I had with the Artic Spurs. I spend a lot more time standing than sitting and my feet would get sore by the end of the day around my arch. Surprisingly, they did have pretty good traction on the ice for something that covered only a small area of the boot.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Sep 15, 2020, 05:22 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:00 AM »
I bought a pair of these sometime back as a back up pair..they seem nice but havent had a chance to use them/test them.
Same here lol
My kahtoolas are now 14 years old , I felt a spare set of cleats was in order  , old guys take longer to heal 🤕

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 15, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I had a 2 year old pair of Kahtoolas break on my size 14 Muck boots.  They sent me a replacement pair.   But I also bought these last year for $20. They work as good as the others.  Now they are on clearance.   I bought two more pair yesterday.  There is actually two ads on Amazon, one with clearance price and one without.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ2TKJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:25 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZ2TKJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have seen these pop up on a few threads here over the years. Amazon prime day had these for $10 so I bought a set. They are labeled with front and back and I thought right and left but I got 2 L's and no R's?  Any one else experience the same thing? Perhaps the L doesnt mean left?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #43 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:30 AM »
L probably stands for large.just a guess but my Kahtoolas fit on either boot.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2020, 09:36 AM »
I have seen these pop up on a few threads here over the years. Amazon prime day had these for $10 so I bought a set. They are labeled with front and back and I thought right and left but I got 2 L's and no R's?  Any one else experience the same thing? Perhaps the L doesnt mean left?

Yeah, the genuine Kahtoolas don't have a left/right. Just Sm/Md/Lg.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2020, 11:27 AM »
If they are good enough for NH fish and game...they are good enough for me...Katoolahs !!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2020, 06:52 PM »
I’ve tried most and never found a coil or chain one that stayed on, the coil ones I thought were slippery and dangerous. I like the cheap HT rubber ones you pull over your boot. Cheap and effective.

I use HTs too. No complaints v

Offline chasin eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Picked up a set of Korker APEX ice cleats and have been pretty happy.  Going on year #3 with them.

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Hey guys, apologies if this has been mentioned already. I've read a bunch of threads about ice cleats and can't remember which one is which.

For guys with bigger feet like myself, check out the Korker Apex cleats. I have a pair of size 15 Baffin Eigers, so big enough cleats have always been an issue. Was at Scheels yesterday and grabbed a pair of XXL Korkers Apex cleats and they fit incredibly well. Went on easy and aren't overly stretched out. Will be curious to see how they hold up, but for those looking for big boot options, give these a look.

Offline jag27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2021, 03:52 PM »
Broke down and paid the $$ for the Kahtoola microspikes, Used them today for the first time, all ice no snow, Why the hell did I wait so long!!, Ordered another pair for my son.  Worth the money, excellent traction, and most of all, they don't come off!!

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:16 PM »
Kahtoolas. Always and forever. Safest cleat you'll wear. Folks grouse about snow sticking to the chains. Microspikes will bite through four inches of snow and slush into what good ice you have underfoot. VERY important feature.

Walking into a bar, or bait shop, you should be still in something like ducks or mucks or you'll never get served again. Or just pull 'em off, since you're done fishing anyway...

If you're stepping into your own permie and that worried about the floor getting scratched, shouldn't you should change out to a pair of lounge slippers and a smoking jacket while you're at it?...   ;) I plan for me being lazy, cold and inattentive to details.  That's why my huts don't have floors, my pickup has work truck rubber mats instead of carpeting, and I have a spot that can take getting chewed up in the "mud room" while I strip off gear.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Love my StableICERS...Been wearing the same pair for over a decade..replaced the cleats once. A bit heavy...but built to last!
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:28 AM »

Yeah, that's the ice fishing joke.  There's two Xtra Left but no Xtra Right.

I just made the mistake of buying some jogging pants.  The description was listed as regular firm fit, loose fitting, and extra loose fitting.  There were small, medium, and large size.  I found a medium 30, large 30, extra loose 30.  Bought the extra loose fit size 30.  Went to remove the hanger clip and then found out it was really extra loose.  I could probably fit a size 44 waist into it. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Broke down and paid the $$ for the Kahtoola microspikes, Used them today for the first time, all ice no snow, Why the hell did I wait so long!!, Ordered another pair for my son.  Worth the money, excellent traction, and most of all, they don't come off!!

Just be careful and don't "adjust" them when sitting in front of a hole. Without thinking about it I did just that and I slipped and the thing shot off like a rubberband and right down the hole it went.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.