Author Topic: Cleaning vexilar soft pack  (Read 2514 times)

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cleaning vexilar soft pack
« on: Oct 23, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Lots of salt residue on my soft pack for my flx28 what to use to clean

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Cleaning vexilar soft pack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2017, 10:56 AM »
I would think soaking it in a water and vinegar solution ....maybe some borax added in for stubborn  stained areas should do the trick ...even hot water poured over/through the stain should work ..salt is water soluble so I would start there.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2017, 11:44 AM »
I've sprayed mine with Shout and put in washer on gentle cycle.  Air dryed and came out very good. Do not use harsh cleaners on vinyl window.  Wipe with wet cloth.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2017, 04:26 PM »
I'd think some warm water and soft bristle scrub brush would do the trick.  Maybe a little detergent just to help lift the salt, but as someone else mentioned, I'd be sure to protect the window so you don't "fog" that up and make things worse. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Just take some CLR cleaner in a 50/50 solution with water. Then spray and clean in the sink.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Lots of salt residue on my soft pack for my flx28 what to use to clean

One time I was down by the road answering natures call and the snow-plow went by. I was covered head-to-toe with salt infused snow. I went into the house and took a shower. Turned out really well.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Lots of fresh water. Salt comes out easy unless it's left for a long time. Throw it in a bucket and soak well. Rinse. Repeat.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Would you treat the fabric with some sort of protectant after washing

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Would you treat the fabric with some sort of protectant after washing

Adding something like Scotch Guard or Camp Dry couldn't hurt ...best to transport in a 2/3/5/7 gallon bucket ...keeps it secure and protected ...on really slushy days you can put your Vexilar into/atop a 2/3 gallon bucket and fish .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Tuff Stuff Foam Cleaner - trust me - I'm over the top OCD as far as taking care of my stuff - it's even sold at Walmart
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Yea CLR, but honestly, i used it for a season and gave up on it, I love my FLX28, but damn the vexilar soft pack is terrible.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:38 AM »
Yea CLR, but honestly, i used it for a season and gave up on it, I love my FLX28, but damn the vexilar soft pack is terrible.

switched mine to a hummingbird soft pack

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:46 AM »

When I upgraded to the Ultra pack from the Pro pack I needed a soft pack I went with a Trophy Angler electronics bag ..its holding up pretty well ...the zippers did seem a little light weight but no issues and for $20 worth the price.

http://www.runnings.com/ice-fishing-finders-and-camera/trophy-angler-deluxe-round-bottom-electronics-bag.htm

my Vexilar Pro pack soft case was tight not a lot of room for movement ...it developed a rip on the back seam ...a cut/crack in the vinyl window(fixed with clear gorilla tape...good stuff)..I use it on my FL12 set up for a back up .

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:02 PM »
anyone having trouble with the clear plastic window going cloudy on it. every year after storage I have to use plastix that stuff they use on headlight to get it to clean up.. just wondering if anyone had better way to keep it clear . had it 3 yrs now done same thing every year. any info appreciated
youngster

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2017, 09:29 PM »
use furniture polish on the window.  we have a non glass windshield on our gator at work and it gets scratched up just from looking thru it and that furniture polish cleans it up very good and takes care of some of the small scratches.  has worked on just about everything non glass that i have tried it on!!

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:26 PM »
+1 on the furniture polish but I've since moved on to something even better.  Meguiar's makes a "PlastX" gel that works better than anything else I've used.  It even works on crap plastic headlights w/o the sanding and other BS.  I've used it on the windows of my Eskimo, snowmobile, helmet, autopage remote, etc.  The stuff beads water and doesn't allow it to collect and fog very easy.  Think I read it only has a 3 year shelf-life..

Make sure if you use a towel that it's new or hasn't been washed with fabric softener.  If the window has salt on it too like my eskimo did, i just rinsed them with warm water first.  You could always use distilled water if you care that much but that Plastx stuff has a diminishing abrasive in it and scrubbed the yellowing right off my 80's sled windshield like it was nothing and I sprayed it this summer to try and fog it and water doesn't stick to it.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.