Author Topic: great forecast for making ice......  (Read 2390 times)

gman51

great forecast for making ice......
« on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:19 AM »
OK looks like plan "A" for late fall walleye fishing in the boat is not going to happen.but did get out a few times in October... so as the forecast reads for the next 2 weeks could be fishing on ice very soon. ;) . not sure for how long the colder temps will last hopefully it will set in for the duration.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: great forecast for making ice......
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:28 AM »
This weather has me excited as well!  Did the last yard clean up and shed organizing.   All the ice fishing gear is at the front.  I even fired up the auger.  It was purring like a kitten.   Hopefully the lakes will freeze solid and safe for all. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I was hoping to get out once more in the boat, but it looks like I'll be waiting till ice before wetting my line again.  :-\

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Same here.
I was hoping to get out a time or two yet, but, unless the weather warms up a bit, ice fishing will be the next adventure. :unsure:

WW

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:53 AM »
wont be long now, Wonder if we will be out on the strap before dec 1st? Its been a few years.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:36 AM »
If the forecast for north of PA is accurate for the next week, could be walking on some small lakes by November long weekend. Water temps were 40F on Oct 22.
Splaker

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:35 PM »
 sloughs are skimmed over here this morning, should be solid by tomorrow.  will be fishing in two weeks forsure if the big snow stays away  :tipup:

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Oh yeah! Looks like most water in the north will be locked up a few weeks earlier this year!!!
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Looks promising. The LaRonge weather forecast for the next 10 days shows nothing above -4 and as cold as -14 at night.  40% chance of snow is forecast for 2 of those days, both for less than 1 cm.     That's about  3/8'' for the other old timers here.   :)

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/saskatchewan/la-ronge

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2017, 12:07 PM »
managed to get the boat on the water Sat. October 28, then we got ambushed by some snow.  On the driveway the boat still sits. Time to dust off the ice gear.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2017, 07:12 PM »
What’s it looking like out there at the smaller lakes? 

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2017, 07:41 PM »
The small lakes are locked up north east of PA. Headin out in morning with the shotgun and the ice rods, will give a detailed report tommorow. Hopefully have some fresh chickens and fish for supper.
Splaker

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:52 PM »
The small lakes are locked up north east of PA. Headin out in morning with the shotgun and the ice rods, will give a detailed report tommorow. Hopefully have some fresh chickens and fish for supper.

Thanks Splaker!  Hunt and fish safe out there.

gman51

« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:18 AM »
will be going today to check on a few areas at blackstrap. will give a report.

gman51

« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2017, 01:26 PM »
Just got back from blackstrap. Drove across the causeway and seen open water to the south and to the north. There is some shoreline ice forming in places but still lots of open water. Went through the park and right about where the ski hill is and and south from there the whole lake is locked up as far as I could see.went down the boat launches and walked out 10-15 feet and spudded a hole to find 1-2 “ of ice. So it could be fishable 3-5 “ by next weekend.if the weather holds. Did not bother checking out the north end but I would suspect still open with the wind direction the way it’s been. Someone else might chime in on that. Anyway I’m hopeful for next weekend.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2017, 03:20 PM »
Thanks  ripnflutter  :) for the update. Highway camera also shows the south end of Blackstrap has ice cover.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:30 PM »
It's on! Fished today for couple of hours. Typical first day on ice forgot all my bait at cabin but scrounged some old power bait from the bottom of the bag and managed to hook two trout but lost both. Ice was between 2 and 3 inches thick with 2 or 3 inches of snow cover. Fished around 3-4 FOW. Bought a fin bore 3 hand auger and adapter for drill to use for early and late ice rather than lug the old strikemaster around when ice is thin. Worked great looking forward to using it as much as I can. Will be out for two days of fishing on November long and will remember the bait next time.

Splaker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.