New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413167 times)

Offline gregod

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2400 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Today at Prendergast

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #2401 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Today at Prendergast

Solid fish!!! Nice job man

Offline Killiansred

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On a mission to do some fishin.
« Reply #2402 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:39 AM »
I saw a few atvs out of long point yesterday and the snowmobiles were all over the lake. Stay on the drag trails though. I found one spot in the ice that was only 1 inch thick with 13 inch ice next to it. The bad ice was about an 8 foot circle.
Owner/Operator of Killian's Welding Service
Mobile Welding Solutions

Offline Jigemup247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2403 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Thank you

Offline H20chrome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2404 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:18 AM »

Pulled this up through the ice yesterday, how the heck did that get in there?

Offline Killiansred

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On a mission to do some fishin.
« Reply #2405 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:39 AM »

Is that a sauger?
Owner/Operator of Killian's Welding Service
Mobile Welding Solutions

Offline H20chrome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2406 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Yes. Only thing I can come up with is somebody caught it out of Allegheny and put it in Chautauqua or it was stuck in a net at the hatchery and ended up in with the walleye being put into the lake

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2407 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:55 AM »
That’s Awsome fish congrats

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2408 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:36 PM »

Did ok at mayville today had to sort through them but had fun doing it ice varys from spot to spot   personally I wouldn't take a machine out but that's me

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #2409 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:36 PM »

There is probably more in the lake since fingerlings were raised at the hatchery.. Kinzua population is really starting to take off
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92788.html

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2410 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Just what we need to thin those little perch out ;D ;D ;D!

F4W

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2411 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:07 PM »

Did ok at mayville today had to sort through them but had fun doing it ice varys from spot to spot   personally I wouldn't take a machine out but that's me
My brother did the same at Mayville on Sunday.  It's a hot spot right now.

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2412 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Today was a great day to be out there, best walleye bit this year on the big pond.I got three keepers 18 201/2 23 , couple of shorts . Lost five nice ones at hole. My buddy got two dandy’s also. 34 fow was the trick getting sloppy out there . Going back in am , hope too get them again. Be safe tight lines boys

Offline shadowcaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2413 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Hope you did well today.  How is the ice looking?  Weather has been wacky and I am a newbie (at least to ice fishing) and want to make sure its safe to go out there.  Excited to get rid of some of the cabin fever I've been experiencing. 

Offline bobo1729

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2414 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Anyone know how the ice is at the bell tower ?

Offline javlin90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2415 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Snow on the lake is making things somewhat dangerous. Rain the last two days have made 8" holes 14-16" and only have 1" of ice on top and they are covered by the snow. Shore ice held up and still 8-10" of ice. It's safe but I recommend taking a spud bar... also stay far away from any creeks..

Offline shadowcaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2416 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Was just there.  I'm a newbie at ice fishing so take my advice with a grain of salt but the shore ice seemed very safe to me.  I didn't measure exactly but I'd say out where I was fishing there was a good foot of ice.  There were several guys out and the pre-existing holes didn't look any bigger so I think the cold weather today took care of some of the melting and apparent danger that existed yesterday.  I got there pretty late and was more so going just to get accustomed to the basic routine.  Only caught a good sized sunfish and a small perch.  On my way out, I talked to some guys who caught huge numbers, but said they only caught like 1 keeper sized perch out of somewhere around 100.  So not really sure what to make of that.  I was just jigging wax worms. 

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2417 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:10 AM »
Heading back out too hot holes , it’s 13 degrees out now . Give report later on , be safe guys walleyes are aggressive other day hope get few more

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2418 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Ice tighten right up great day out there , fish were hitting very hard today. Buddy got two nice ones I got also two good ones. Best part of the day I caught a monster muskey, had release at hole but what a pig. Guys are just cruising around on wheelers , lmao skip must of put the word out about Long point . A lot guys out there tonight be safe guys

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2419 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Maybe Skip did, but Long Point has been productive since the end of summer. No secret. Lots of boats out there every day in fall. Can’t wait to hopefully get out there this weekend!

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2420 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Anyone cool enough to give some tips on where to go for all these eyes? Never fished for walleye on any lake. Where do they typically hang out? On drop offs or structures?.... how deep? I understand everyone likes to have there secret spot so I’m not looking for a honey hole but some tips would be nice 😊. Is the ice holding up out there I thought this warm weather would put a stall on the season but it looks like a lot of you guys are still getting out there. Looks like even skip even posted on Hogan’s hut Facebook page of safe ice but I live in Niagara County 5 min from Burt damn and hate to drive down for unsafe conditions.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #2421 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Check your inbox

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2422 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Walleyes from Steamburg on the old Allegany River were dumped into Chautauqua Lake back in the 1960’s. They are an Ohio river strain, not Great Lakes strain fish.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Chuck66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2423 on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Just got back from the ice pond , a lot water on ice from this rain, watch out at Pena grass launch shore ice broke. Managed two nice eyes had to work for them today, be safe guys won’t hurt to take spud bar out.

Offline gonzo67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2424 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I hammered dink perch out off Pendergast yest, pretty much out in the middle. 30 ft  or deeper seems to be where the they are , keepers is a challenge though.
Just like hogans hut report , ice is pretty much 10 inches or better just pay attention to creek mouths & shore line ice
Good luck fishing  !!!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2425 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I was in Mayville area yesterday fishing about 9 feet of water with good weed cover. My wife and I caught between 100-150 dinks. no keepers besides the two gills we caught. couldn't even get the jigs down before they were hammering them. didn't matter what we were tipping with. Still a fun day.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2426 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:01 PM »
psted on other page but thought do it here to,can anyone tell me where to get a "propane crockpot" ive seen guys talk about ,cam pm me
thx

Offline rando3369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2427 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Anyone been catching eyes or crappie after dark?  I've fished until 7 or so, but haven't gotten anything after the sun is completely down.  Can't get out until after dark during the week and was wondering if it's even worth trying.  Everyone else I've seen is leaving by 5:30 or 6 at the latest.

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2428 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:46 PM »

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2429 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:47 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.