Author Topic: Milwaukee 2804 drill: broken side handle  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Milwaukee 2804 drill: broken side handle
« on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:08 AM »
I have a Milwaukee 2804 drill on an 8" K drill auger that I am using in my skid-house to re-open holes, yesterday the alignment pin in the side handle broke while drilling. I had re-opened the holes with the drill 3 times prior to this, so am wondering if the side handle had loosened up, allowing the handle to flex enough to break the pin.  I am curious if this has happened to anyone else, or was it just a fluky thing?   I will contact Milwaukee to get a new handle.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Milwaukee 2804 drill: broken side handle
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Ive said it before but that’s exactly another reason why i bought a clam plate.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Believe some IS members were ..checking the tightness on a regular as well as loctite.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:55 AM »
I have a Milwaukee 2804 drill on an 8" K drill auger that I am using in my skid-house to re-open holes, yesterday the alignment pin in the side handle broke while drilling. I had re-opened the holes with the drill 3 times prior to this, so am wondering if the side handle had loosened up, allowing the handle to flex enough to break the pin.  I am curious if this has happened to anyone else, or was it just a fluky thing?   I will contact Milwaukee to get a new handle.
That's why I sold the Milwaukee drill and got the dewalt 996 the handle broke off and it broke the casing on the drill . The dewalt clamps all the way around drill and you can position it where you want. Dont need a clam plate with dewalt

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Ive said it before but that’s exactly another reason why i bought a clam plate.

Same here...love this setup now.  Other than the $, you'll have zero regrets.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:44 PM »
i thought milwaukee had it all figured out from their last handle issues and revamped it for the better. at least you didn't get hurt!

the plate adds 5 pounds to the cutting force. that's not a good thing.

i did not like mine and returned it. worse yet, i didn't like clams customer service or the bad wobble mine had. i even did the spring mod to give it much better trigger control that should have been already done for us.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:05 AM »
The side handle HAD to have been loose for this to break.  The internal bar's purpose is to keep the improved flanges aligned while you place it around the drill. They provide zero integrity with the handle firmly clamped to the drill.

Checking, rechecking and tightening the handle is just part of using this, same as checking your chuck and any bolts holding adapters and extensions.

I'm pretty sure it'll work without the pin, only will be a bit more difficult to install, requiring an additional hand or some finesse.  The old design was essentially fine too, primarily breaking the drill due to being too loose.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:57 AM »
The side handle HAD to have been loose for this to break.  The internal bar's purpose is to keep the improved flanges aligned while you place it around the drill. They provide zero integrity with the handle firmly clamped to the drill.

Checking, rechecking and tightening the handle is just part of using this, same as checking your chuck and any bolts holding adapters and extensions.

I'm pretty sure it'll work without the pin, only will be a bit more difficult to install, requiring an additional hand or some finesse.  The old design was essentially fine too, primarily breaking the drill due to being too loose.

In retrospect I hope this did not come across as a rant about Milwaukee, I have 7 different M18 tools and am very happy with all of them, just trying to figure out what went wrong on this drill.

I agree that more than likely I did not have the handle completely tight for some reason, I do know that I tightened it as much as possible when I put it on, but suspect it may have loosened up.  It sounds like Locktite will be in order when I get the drill going again.  The indentations on the drill where the handle fits are buggered up so the handle won't fit now.  I do have the previous version of the hammer drill, the handle on it has never broken.  I mostly just use the Kdrill in the skid house to re-open holes, I did break down and put on my Clam plate (which I am not a fan of) on my older Milwaukee drill yesterday for use in the shack, as there is no telling when the 2804 will be back in action and I did not want to risk breaking the handle on it, then have to use my gas auger inside.

I called Milwaukee repair Monday morning, was on hold for over an hour, then got disconnected, did not bother calling back, as I wondered if they might be shut down for the holidays.  I have yet to see how all of this will play out, would guess they will replace or repair the drill and handle.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Is the drill under warranty? If it is file a claim online, they give you a packing slip to ship it in for repair.

I burnt up a Fuel 2702 doing a remodel project. Filed a claim online, shipped it to them and it was back in less than 3 weeks. No questions asked.

Best of luck!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Clam plate
Works great, many benefits, and won't break. I have had mine now for a few years, flawless and best of all it keeps the drill up off the snow and ice.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2019, 10:37 AM »
i thought milwaukee had it all figured out from their last handle issues and revamped it for the better. at least you didn't get hurt!

the plate adds 5 pounds to the cutting force. that's not a good thing.

i did not like mine and returned it. worse yet, i didn't like clams customer service or the bad wobble mine had. i even did the spring mod to give it much better trigger control that should have been already done for us.

What do you mean by that? You think 5lbs of weight is going to effect how the drill cuts? I don't discern any difference with or without plate in cutting performance.

I like the plate because my auger is attached with a bolt instead of relying on the chuck, which loosened up on me a few times the first couple of years I was using a drill.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Is the drill under warranty? If it is file a claim online, they give you a packing slip to ship it in for repair.

I burnt up a Fuel 2702 doing a remodel project. Filed a claim online, shipped it to them and it was back in less than 3 weeks. No questions asked.

Best of luck!

thanks for the tip!
i wish i knew about that before i drove over 100 miles to get my milwaukee 1/2" impact trigger replaced. it became unstable in under 2 years.

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Don’t have a set up yet, but would the HT Enterprise Cordless Auger Drill Adapter from Dicks (20362691) work to eliminate the side handle on the drills that need to be checked periodically when drilling?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2019, 11:48 AM »
if the handle is on the adapter then no, you need both hands on what is twisting and that is the motor. that is basically handling the drill with one hand.

some use a drill with no auxiliary handle, just the pistol grip alone. you do have to know your tool and your strength in order to be able to do that and i do it some times. no need for a plate either unless you want the added foot print size and weight of 5 pounds plus and possibly wobble like i had and the added hassle to use the drill for other things.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Don’t have a set up yet, but would the HT Enterprise Cordless Auger Drill Adapter from Dicks (20362691) work to eliminate the side handle on the drills that need to be checked periodically when drilling?

I have the HT E-Drill ..complete set up drill unit w/handle ...the side handle spins freely and no other handle needed by your drill..I  don't like that set up over using the drills handle ..but love my Clam Plate .

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=371722.msg4030724#msg4030724
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2019, 12:39 PM »
What do you mean by that? You think 5lbs of weight is going to effect how the drill cuts? I don't discern any difference with or without plate in cutting performance.

I like the plate because my auger is attached with a bolt instead of relying on the chuck, which loosened up on me a few times the first couple of years I was using a drill.

I think what he is talking about is rotating weight. By reducing the rotating weight it is easier on the drill. I’ve built race cars and this is an area we are always trying to focus on. One pound of rotating weight is equal to 10 pounds of stationary weight. In essence the engine doesn’t have to work as hard when it is reduced.

I still have a plate but I don’t use it. If I wanted to run ice anchors in with a drill I’d have two options. 1) fumble around with removing my drill from the plate which wastes time and can be a pain or 2) bring a second drill.  I also want to pack my sled as efficiently as possible and when compared to a Kovacs Ice Master a Clam Plate created too much wasted space in my sled for my liking.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Use this for anchors dont need a drill cranks them fast leave the auger on the drill. I had one laying around and modified the end. They also make them for ice anchors , ice anchor speed wrench

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I use eskimo ice anchors and its so easy to put in by hand.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2019, 09:30 AM »
I think what he is talking about is rotating weight. By reducing the rotating weight it is easier on the drill. I’ve built race cars and this is an area we are always trying to focus on. One pound of rotating weight is equal to 10 pounds of stationary weight. In essence the engine doesn’t have to work as hard when it is reduced.

I still have a plate but I don’t use it. If I wanted to run ice anchors in with a drill I’d have two options. 1) fumble around with removing my drill from the plate which wastes time and can be a pain or 2) bring a second drill.  I also want to pack my sled as efficiently as possible and when compared to a Kovacs Ice Master a Clam Plate created too much wasted space in my sled for my liking.

How does a clam plate add rotating weight? The bearing?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2019, 12:14 AM »
I called Milwaukee repair Monday morning, was on hold for over an hour, then got disconnected, did not bother calling back, as I wondered if they might be shut down for the holidays.  I have yet to see how all of this will play out, would guess they will replace or repair the drill and handle.

i would just take it and a printed receipt to an authorized repair center and leave it with them. that's what i did and my worn out trigger switch has been taken care of for free. didn't take long. this tool was two years old. sure is better than being on hold that long just to get hung up on.

i do the same with my ridgid brand tools the one time i needed to have some things done like getting free battery replacements and a 12vdc smoked motor replaced. dealing with the manufacturer directly is not always the best option and seems they are more strict about what they will do for you.
the switch that was replaced on my tool was denied by milwaukee for the same issue for another is member. they claimed it was normal wear and tear. was glad to see the shop i chose to use step up.

if you bought it from home depot you can return it for up to 90 days hassle free. tell them you want another one at the service desk.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2019, 11:06 AM »
i would just take it and a printed receipt to an authorized repair center and leave it with them. that's what i did and my worn out trigger switch has been taken care of for free. didn't take long. this tool was two years old. sure is better than being on hold that long just to get hung up on.

i do the same with my ridgid brand tools the one time i needed to have some things done like getting free battery replacements and a 12vdc smoked motor replaced. dealing with the manufacturer directly is not always the best option and seems they are more strict about what they will do for you.
the switch that was replaced on my tool was denied by milwaukee for the same issue for another is member. they claimed it was normal wear and tear. was glad to see the shop i chose to use step up.

if you bought it from home depot you can return it for up to 90 days hassle free. tell them you want another one at the service desk.

I live in a part of Canada that from the air looks to have nearly as much water (lakes) as land, good ice that lasts for months, great fishing, but all of this is located hours away from any major population center, or big box stores, so unfortunately walking into a service center, or Home Depot is not possible.  Small price to pay for all the positives of living where I do, but I am afraid it is back to the telephone on Monday to try to reach a Service center.

sunniewally

« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2019, 02:59 PM »
The milwaukee side handle is a lousy design. broke mine as many have. use a clamplate with my nils instead if kdrill. works great!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Use this for anchors dont need a drill cranks them fast leave the auger on the drill. I had one laying around and modified the end. They also make them for ice anchors , ice anchor speed wrench

I just wish I could find one of those.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2020, 12:47 PM »
I just wish I could find one of those.

take a hand auger handle and attach an eskimo ice anchor drill attachment tool to the end of the handle. i prefer using it on a drill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.