The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooney Reservoir  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooney Reservoir
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:21 PM »
Has anyone heard any fishing reports from Cooney Resivoir.  I heard the ice is around 10".  I was planning on going this weekend.  

bschlauch

Re:Cooney Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 12:57 PM »
Where is Cooney Reservior???

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Cooney is about 40-50 miles southwest of Billings, or about 20 miles north of Red Lodge.  Last year they stocked about 250,000 trout and about 50,000 walleye.  

I think it gets hit pretty hard in the summer from anglers though.  

bschlauch

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 01:27 PM »
Im with you now. That area of the state is beautiful. Sorry...cant help you with you original question though, its a little too far of a jaunt from Helena to Red Lodge!  Good luck...let me know how you do if you make it down. The good thing is that you probably wont have near the fishing "traffic" like you would in the summer!

FISHCAT

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:54 PM »
A couple of friends of mine went fishing there (cooney) on sunday   real cold and didnt catch s##t  :-X does any body out there spear fish if so where?

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:19 AM »
I was under the impression that spear fishing was done for mostly pike.  I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Deadman's reservoir has a heck of a salmon spawn somewhere around the beginning of Dec. and maybe into Jan.  Usually catch them in 3-6 feet of water. Seems like it would be great opportunity to spear some fish,  that is, if it is legal.

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:17 AM »
Fished cooney saturday.  People are driving on the ice, I would guess it was close to 18" thick.  Fishing was slow, only one small walleye for three of us.  Only saw two other fish caught all day.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.