Author Topic: Catfish Success Stories  (Read 7992 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Catfish Success Stories
« on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:19 PM »
I love catching catfish through the ice, and if  you get into them you usually get a lot. I would like to here some success stories from anyone who reads this.

I've caught up to about 15 in a day, they usually average about three lbs/each
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

grumpymoe

Re:Catfish Success Stories
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2004, 01:46 PM »
i would love to catch a channel cat thru the ice. i've never seen one caught up here. its not like the anglers disappear. our best summer day was 43 cats (the two smallest at 12 and 18lbs-most in the 25lb and up. our last 12 fish were all over 30lbs with 36lb the largest)  :P :P :P--will be posting pics on (wanna see some pics) as soon as i can. grump

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re: Catfish Success Stories
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2004, 06:18 AM »
Hey Grumpymoe, I caught one last year through the ice and it was the biggest thing I have ever seen come through the ice. It looked like the ice was giving birth ;D I caught it in Miss. Bay. It weighed in over 25 pounds cause the digital scale went off at that!I was screaming for help cause I had a hell of a time hauling that thing in and sqeezing it through a 10in hole. My friends thought that I was crying wolf because they sent me out to that lonliest tipup thinking it was a bait trip, thinking that they thought I was messing with them. Too their surprise 8) I would like to try for more of those guys or just catch him again ;)
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2004, 05:20 PM »
I think I need to fish with you! ;D
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:10 PM »
A guy from work showed me the picture of his 14 lb. plus cat he caught his panfish jigging rod on 2 lb. line. I asked him if he entered it as a master angler (he said he did) and he said he tried to submit it as a world record on 2 lb. line. He was turned down flat because they told him he was using too SHORT of a rod to qualify even though that made the catch much more difficult.
Sometimes things like this just blow me away !!!
 ???

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:58 PM »
Man that is BS. How could they not give him the record. Just because he's using a shorter rod. That makes the fish harder to land, not easier. I mean what the hell? ??? ??? ???

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Catfish through the ice are a blast ! I've found they tend to suspend and after hitting go for the bottom. They fight as hard as anything and what a sight to see it coming thru the hole. Here's one that gave a tussle :

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:42 PM »
LoneWolf,  Nice cat!  When I was in MN my brother & I would jig for eye's-n-cats on the Mississippi near Bass Camp, the old norskis on the ice would call it "yerkin"  :D

-Grizz

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:19 PM »

Thanks Grizz. This one was suspended about 10 foot off bottom in 38 fow ... right below a feeding school of wipers. After catching several wipers I wondered what was below them. It was a nice surprise and he faught harder than the wipers !
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2005, 05:27 AM »

Nice one, we got em here also. but difficult to find and catch.  :tipup:

All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:06 PM »
A guy from work showed me the picture of his 14 lb. plus cat he caught his panfish jigging rod on 2 lb. line. I asked him if he entered it as a master angler (he said he did) and he said he tried to submit it as a world record on 2 lb. line. He was turned down flat because they told him he was using too SHORT of a rod to qualify even though that made the catch much more difficult.
Sometimes things like this just blow me away !!!
 ???

IGFA has a ton of rules and i noticed the rod length rule and new it would be a bummer if i catch a world record burbot in the winter for the IGFA...anyhow in my opinion the IGFA dosen't hold genuine world records it just holds club records

Offline IH8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Cats are a great time on the ice. I'm waiting for the current chanel to get some ice to fish. Last year the best day was just under 70 fish, with the biggest at 10 lbs. Most of them are about 2 to 3 lbs but a great time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.