Author Topic: Got a free sled and have no idea what I'm doing  (Read 2863 times)

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got a free sled and have no idea what I'm doing
« on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Subject says it all. I live in Indiana and with our inconsistent ice season I have never even considered a quad or snowmobile, it's just not worth it. A friend of mine found a free snowmobile through Craigslist or Facebook and went and picked it up. He ended up not wanting to deal with it bc he was looking for a good trail rider and offered it to me. After buying some parts, a little maintenance, and some cosmetic fixes I got it running. My problem is that I am at the point where I can dump it now and easily get back what I put into it or finish the job and have myself an ice fishing snowmobile. My problem is I have no idea what makes a snowmobile good for ice fishing or not. Ive driven a snowmobile twice but never owned one before. I've done some research and it appears doable but figured I would ask on here.

It's a 1994 Yamaha Vmax 500
- liquid cooled (from what I hear not good on bare ice)
- need wear bars or carbides and ski skins (heard carbides are a must on ice but like the cost of wear bars over carbides)
- no reverse (unless I'm an idiot but can't find one which makes loading difficult)
- the track seems in decent shape but is not studded but not sure it needs to be

The other problem I have is I don't own a trailer but can borrow one. A trailer purchase could be justified if I just bought a decent utility trailer that could be used for multiple things besides ice fishing. My other problem is I am due for a new shanty in the very near future (end of season deal this year or early purchase next year) so if I have a snowmobile it would dramatically change what I would purchase. I do make ice fishing trips to MI and WI but go with a buddy who has a quad. I would like to be able to have my own setup.

Sorry for the long rant but I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I'm wasting my time trying to make this happen just let me know. If you have additional questions let me know.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Got a free sled and have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2017, 06:52 PM »
We can wade through this.   Is there a transmission ?  Does the drive belt from the engine pulley go only to the track driven pulley?

The trailer could be one of those swivel bed types with a 'drop front', so you drive right off without reverse.

You can avoid the local shady dealer by going online for parts.     ;)2

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:39 PM »
keep it your already learning about it       it runs   

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:05 PM »
We can wade through this.   Is there a transmission ?  Does the drive belt from the engine pulley go only to the track driven pulley?

The trailer could be one of those swivel bed types with a 'drop front', so you drive right off without reverse.

You can avoid the local shady dealer by going online for parts.     ;)2

Yes the belt only goes from engine pulley to track pulley. The engine clutch expands to get the belt spinning.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Yes the belt only goes from engine pulley to track pulley. The engine clutch expands to get the belt spinning.
So, that means it's a "pull it back".     No reverse.     But, it'll save yer back hauling that new big heavy shanty out and to a greater distance.     :thumbsup: ;)2

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Wonder if anyone can answer some of my other questions.

1. Are carbides a must or can I get by with regular wear bars?
2. Will it even move on bare ice (no slush) without a studded track?
3. Since it is liquid cooled what speed am I able to run without overheating it if it is bare ice?
4. I have a spare belt and spark plugs. Anything else that I should have extra of?

Thanks

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Wonder if anyone can answer some of my other questions.

1. Are carbides a must or can I get by with regular wear bars?
2. Will it even move on bare ice (no slush) without a studded track?
3. Since it is liquid cooled what speed am I able to run without overheating it if it is bare ice?
4. I have a spare belt and spark plugs. Anything else that I should have extra of?

Thanks

1. Yes, you want carbides.  You can't steer without them!!  Actual skis are good to have too.  See if you can convert to dual carbide runner carbide skis for better performance.
2. Yes, it will move on ice, but not as well as if the track had studs.  The bigger issue is that it won't really stop on the ice!!  That is bare ice, and icy trails that get packed down and iced up.  When you have nice snow, it will be great.  Some get along without studs, but here on the east coast it's suicide.  My brothers friend got into sledding last year and bought a brand new sled and didn't stud the track.  We couldn't go up many steep trails due to his lack of studs, while every other sled with studs had no issues going up icy trails up steep hills. 
3. If there is snow on the ice, you're all set.  If not, you will want to watch the temp gauge, hopefully it has one.  Studs would come in handy here and toss at least some ice chips onto the coolers, but still not enough.  It depends on the sled but you can usually tow stuff a decent ways at a moderate speed before the motor starts to heat up.  Then you stop, thats where you're fishing hopefully, let it cool, and you'll be good to head back in a half hour or so, or less if it's really cold out.  Fan cooled sleds have a huge advantage here, but hey, free is free.  Liquid cooled sleds make way more power than fan sleds and so they go much faster.
4. Make sure you have plenty of gas and oil in the thing.  My second ride of the year, just on the trails behind my house, I ran out of gas because I didn't fill up.....at midnight, 10 degrees out, mile down hill from my house, all alone.  It sucked, I recommend against forgetting to gas up.

Good luck, sleds are lots of fun!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:17 PM »
1. Yes, you want carbides.  You can't steer without them!!  Actual skis are good to have too.  See if you can convert to dual carbide runner carbide skis for better performance.
2. Yes, it will move on ice, but not as well as if the track had studs.  The bigger issue is that it won't really stop on the ice!!  That is bare ice, and icy trails that get packed down and iced up.  When you have nice snow, it will be great.  Some get along without studs, but here on the east coast it's suicide.  My brothers friend got into sledding last year and bought a brand new sled and didn't stud the track.  We couldn't go up many steep trails due to his lack of studs, while every other sled with studs had no issues going up icy trails up steep hills. 
3. If there is snow on the ice, you're all set.  If not, you will want to watch the temp gauge, hopefully it has one.  Studs would come in handy here and toss at least some ice chips onto the coolers, but still not enough.  It depends on the sled but you can usually tow stuff a decent ways at a moderate speed before the motor starts to heat up.  Then you stop, thats where you're fishing hopefully, let it cool, and you'll be good to head back in a half hour or so, or less if it's really cold out.  Fan cooled sleds have a huge advantage here, but hey, free is free.  Liquid cooled sleds make way more power than fan sleds and so they go much faster.
4. Make sure you have plenty of gas and oil in the thing.  My second ride of the year, just on the trails behind my house, I ran out of gas because I didn't fill up.....at midnight, 10 degrees out, mile down hill from my house, all alone.  It sucked, I recommend against forgetting to gas up.

Good luck, sleds are lots of fun!

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:16 AM »
 I have a spare belt and spark plugs. Anything else that I should have extra of?

Tow rope. always good to have for whatever reason. Some put "scratchers" on their liquid cooled sleds for use when running on bare ice. here's a link to some.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ice+scratchers&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7939115025&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18251182621779483719&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017154&hvtargid=aud-274086953673:kwd-1978021762&ref=pd_sl_8fi2d23tey_e

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:17 AM »
I recommend slide glides for sleds without reverse.  They aren't that expensive and they work great.  My 89 Phazer slides off the the tilt trailer with very little effort. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:33 AM »
SeaFoam ..extra plugs,belt/oil....a gas siphon w/primer. Ice scratchers and carbides are great with the seasons we have been having with limited snowfall...good tow hitch for your shelter

I recommend slide glides for sleds without reverse.  They aren't that expensive and they work great.  My 89 Phazer slides off the the tilt trailer with very little effort. 

That would save a lot of work .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:32 PM »
I have a spare belt and spark plugs. Anything else that I should have extra of?

Tow rope. always good to have for whatever reason. Some put "scratchers" on their liquid cooled sleds for use when running on bare ice. here's a link to some.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ice+scratchers&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7939115025&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18251182621779483719&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017154&hvtargid=aud-274086953673:kwd-1978021762&ref=pd_sl_8fi2d23tey_e

spare belt and plugs goes without saying, as well as something to be able to change the plugs!! 

scratchers are more for lubing the hyfax then they are for cooling.  they can help a tad, but they are no substitute for snow!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.