Author Topic: Who fishes out of a car?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who fishes out of a car?
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:06 PM »
How many people out there fish out of their cars? I would love a truck but got dang they are spendy. I don't know how some guys have a new truck pulling a new ice castle. Gotta find a better job I guess.

Anyways, for those that drive a car, what does your equipment look like?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Who fishes out of a car?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:02 PM »
I could easily fish out of my 1989 dodge power ram due to the holes rotted in the floorboards. but ive only been able to drive my truck on the ice 2 times where I'm at in Michigan.not enough ice most years.lol

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:10 PM »
I prefer I don't have to use my hemi Jeep..

Rather take a Pontiac vibe, everything fits, and great mileage..

A car doesn't always work but a lot of times it's all you need..

<°)))>{

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I prefer I don't have to use my hemi Jeep..

Rather take a Pontiac vibe, everything fits, and great mileage..

A car doesn't always work but a lot of times it's all you need..

<°)))>{
Or can afford!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Or can afford!!

Tru dat!!

<°)))>{

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2017, 07:59 PM »
 Sorry to bring up an old thread. I must’ve missed it last year. I fish out of a car most of the time. 1999 Volkswagen Jetta. I have a Eskimo EV0 1 that fits perfectly. I also sometimes take my strike master Franken sled and my Otter xth resort. Works great  and saves a ton of money on gas!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Holy old post bat man!!

My frabill recon fit in my taurus so did my s3000 even could fit the hub and sled in their to and gear.. how I fit it was  fold front seats down..  open trunk and slide sled in almost any thing fit's!! Almost! Any thing   that's not 10 to 20 foot long.. have even took the taurus camping..  had  the power steering line brake well wore a hole threw and was leaking like crazy..  at four hours away a bush fix was in play that trip..  but ya you can almost fit a lot in a mid size car like a taurus.. if the car is smaller like a ford focus.. or  pontiac g5 or chevy cobalt measure inbetween wheel wells in the trunk and see what kind of sled will fit.. then go from there..  I am guessing a little narrower then a taurus?? That taurus I had could fit the small or large soroc sports sleds inside the car trunk.. but it maybe narrower on the other cars like compacts and sub compacts etc.. if you do get new car try to get a hatch back lot easier to get the gear in.. any how they handle snow just fine probably just as good as a truck like a f150 or f150 all vehicles have their limitations like trying to take a f250 4x4 off roading .. like threw a freshly plowed farm field.. you find that f150 up to its floor boards sunk in mud..  that's why they make roads to drive on and snow plows to keep them clear.. same with parking lots.. so find plowed lots to park in and fish .. one year few years ago it was so bad they did not plow lots..  you could not even off road to them snow was so deep.. I think it was the year of the polar vortex lols..

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Hey it’s my old thread. The problem with my car isn’t depth or width but the height. There might be one flipover that is short enough to get in. Taurus and impala probably have a little bigger trunk but the Altima is pretty tough. Also a lot of the lakes around here it’s hard to get close enough to the lake if there is any amount of snow. A wagon would work pretty good.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Check out the EVO 1. My car is as small as it gets from the trunk to the back seat area. Bring on the dirty jokes now! ;D

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2017, 11:29 PM »
Yeah but that’s not where the problem is because I can fold my seats down. It’s the height of the trunk that is the problem for me. I went with a hub style and that works well enough.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:01 AM »
Hey it’s my old thread. The problem with my car isn’t depth or width but the height. There might be one flipover that is short enough to get in. Taurus and impala probably have a little bigger trunk but the Altima is pretty tough. Also a lot of the lakes around here it’s hard to get close enough to the lake if there is any amount of snow. A wagon would work pretty good.

That's how it is around here and amount of snow..  if the parking lots not shoveled some of the bigger truck won't make it to the lot!!  like titans and tundras or even f250 or silverados etc snow gets to deep that's what putts the fishing pressure on a lot of lakes heavily..  you really need a bull dozer to clear the lots some years it gets that bad good to know you went with a hub what about a frabill one man with out a seat like a padded trunk seat that's removable??  I think the 31 inch is the size of the hub width but not sure if it will fit a smaller trunk like the altima cause you got to angle it to get it in.. if you have to see if you can lash a milk crate to store your gear in the olive deer drag sleds they sell for like $30..  I could almost bet that deer drag sled would fit in that trunk .. if you had to walk like we do!! There long enough to get a heater and propane on to.. that's if you can't fit a regular sled.. all and all stick to the car there's no difference between it and a truck cause most of the time trucks can't get back their either .. though about a wagon on the current vehicle that's why I went with a grand Caravan..   lot easier to protect gear over that of a truck to.. form theft.. with just a alarm.. 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Just thought I would show you the Frankensled that I take  in the car. Works great with hub tents and gives me all of the luxuries I am used to in a flip over. Tight lines!

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:45 PM »
i second the mini van.  i went on a trip to clear lake iowa last year from nw missouri and it was a few hour drive and have fold down seats and fit all my crap in it easily.  i kinda flirted with slapping a set of snow tires on up front too but wife said heck no cause then i would be taking it all the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.