Author Topic: Catch more fish , attention to details  (Read 1641 times)

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
Catch more fish , attention to details
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:07 AM »
Fishing is a way a life for some.. others its a weekend hobby.
watching hours of fishing shows , you tube fishing video's and countless hours of playing around and prepping your tackle and equipment .. 
calling in sick to work to fish
begging your other half to head out to the lake
driving back country gravel roads

the blood sweat and tears that come's with OUR fishing trips

so my point is... , we do all this hard work to get out fishing to try and catch that fish of a life time

so my theory is the small details ,, 

check and sharpening your hooks

google map your lake of choice , also do your best to get the depth chart ,   

making sure lure is tied and positioned right on the line

fresh bait
,really  pay attention to the flasher , if you see a light bloop on the screen , be serious that's a potential fish

believe in your lure ,  if not .. retie , find one your confident in ..

eat your food during the slow part of the day , not during  the prime time hours . starve if you have too , eat later ,  FOCUS....

"that fish just swam by when you grab that bag of chips..   where are the fish..   
 ... dude you just missed it .. hope those chips tasted good.. not a good as your reel screaming and that rod bent over

proper winter gear ... good boots ,gloves , jackets and bips ...    u go all that way to fish  , then freeze ,,  who's going home early ,,
 the dude who is freezing

gas-- if you touched a greasy smelly auger .. have a extra pair to run the beast of an auger ..   HUGE believer in "if you touched the gas stuff and then bait ..your percentage to catch has drastically lowered ..

Matching your line to the lure ..... cant use 80lbs test line with a 1/4oz jig head ,   . it just doesn't match..  match it up . light with light ,
 heavy with heavy

do you keep some of your catch..  k when fillet them .. do you check the stomach of the fish... this helps you to tell what there feeding and where they may be when you cant find them ,,, 

FOCUS.....

OH i just caught  a fish ,,   . nice fish.....    did you check that knot for cuts and knicks..   oh set the hook on the next fish ..... oh it snap my line...must of been a pike cut off ,,,, maybe not.... didn't check your line after that last fish...   small details and not being lazy helps you catch

wide gap hooks are the way to go ,,  missed that last fish , missed that second fish and the third ...  maybe that hook just not hooking ,,  GO WIDE

COLOR... being lazy not changing colors of lures ,  can be a huge mistake of the day ...  low light , bright sunny days ,  it affects your chance of mr fish  seeing your lure or matching the hatch ... find the hot color ,      ever fish next to buddy and he's catching cause he was using green. but your using pink and not catching .. CHANGE TO GREEN.. also ask people what color there were catching on .

LUCK we all need it sometime ,  just hit the right day and spot ,,  on those days everyone catches , and that awesome when tho days come..
everyone has there day  .....

there's a ton more tips  to pay attention to ..   if your thinking about something go with your first thought..

ask most people,,,
 their doing good on there fishing trips ,
cause they did the small things

i did back to back fishing trip ... i focused and had so many laughs good time and pay attention to whats going on around me..

few pictures of the two trips ,  i had to work hard to catch these fish   

im just trying to help others , and love sharing my moments with people who care

few pictures of the two trips ,  me and my friend work hard to catch these fish 

[URL=http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/Mikey_Smith1/media/IMG_01081_zps80638f1f.jpg.html]

share your stories.. tips and thoughts about fishing ,,

Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Catch more fish , attention to details
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:32 AM »
"But c'mon Mikey why would I do that when I can ask for freebies on forums and Facebook that's so much easier." Says the lazy people. Hard work has and always will pay off in the end it's what built this world into what it is today no one ever got ahead by asking for a handout put the work in and the work will put out easy as that. That's my rant for the day!! Great job Mikey consistently putting big fish on the ice. Glad to have been there!
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:39 AM »
All great tips Mikey BUT…...

eat your food during the slow part of the day , not during  the prime time hours . starve if you have too , eat later ,  FOCUS....
Am I guilty of that ????
gas-- if you touched a greasy smelly auger .. have a extra pair to run the beast of an auger ..   HUGE believer in "if you touched the gas stuff and then bait ..your percentage to catch has drastically lowered ..
so that's why you let me make the holes ????

These 18 hours days are hard for an old man like me……..today I'm sick. So with that I'll add another tip…….to make those trips……..do it while you're young while you can  ;D

More photos to come later…..when I'm feeling better……..back to bed now for me  :P

Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Bar Fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:04 PM »
I've caught walleyes in a hole that had at least a teaspoon of gas in it!

Offline ribbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2014, 01:30 PM »
All great tips Mikey BUT…...

Am I guilty of that ????
so that's why you let me make the holes ????

These 18 hours days are hard for an old man like me……..today I'm sick. So with that I'll add another tip…….to make those trips……..do it while you're young while you can  ;D

More photos to come later…..when I'm feeling better……..back to bed now for me  :P

Blue Igloo  :tipup:
interesting comment about the auger blue! thanks for sharing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.