New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413087 times)

Offline JJex

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chautauqua/Chautauqua
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Nelson is my cousin, He and I fished Maple Springs last season, caught lots of fish about 50 fow. several huts around us so I assume we were fishing the aquarium.   Thanks

Offline chris steel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:13 PM »
that is right. We talking about nelson that lives in lockport?

Offline JJex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Yep, were cousins

Offline JJex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Nelson

Offline chris steel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:50 PM »
that would be him. Heading out tm. Which means we will be hooking up next week to fish. You up for a night time crappie trip? More than welcome to tag along next week. Looking like a Thursday night right now unless my schedule changes
?

Offline JJex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:57 AM »
Friday night would be better for me, Ill see what nelsons up to and get back to you

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: chautauqua ice fishing
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Is this an online dating site where people don't know how to use the private message function??  Ice in mayville was fine last nite as long as you walked out on the snowmobile trail.  Perch were annoyingly active till dark.  Water was muddy on the south side of the trail.  Very slow and lite nite bite.  the ice should be awsome in a couple days if not too much snow.  Strap on the hockey skates.
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Anyone heading to the lake tomorrow? I have the day off of work, and was hoping to get in some fishing time if the ice is still in decent shape.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #68 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Where's the pictures of the Chautauqua lake JUMBO's??? I have read on the reports page of 11"-13" perch this year...
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline hibey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:40 AM »
 i am trying to download a couple of pictures of 5 11-13" perch i caught at long point yesterday. they are definately out there this year. biggest for me last year was around 11" but that was rare. this year my brother and i (mostly him) have been getting alot more 10 " and above. good luck.

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Not to say your not telling the truth but everytime i hear someone on chautauque say they got a "Jumbo" they all look the same which is about 9 inches.   Are these 11-13 inch fish really that length and hows the girth(fat guys)?  When i hear jumbo i'm thinking of the quality and size of perch caught through the ice on lake erie which are like little walleye.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Anyone picking up any walleye at the bell tower?

Offline hibey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:56 PM »
these are definately not lake erie perch but i wouldnt eat anything out of that cesspool anyways. they are not overly wide but  chautauqua has alot of smaller perch so getting some over 11" is a treat. like i said before, if i can figure out how to download with this  darn camera, i will post pictures. i would love to see some huge perch be pulled out of chautauqua like we used to catch at lake simco in canada but it is still great fishing.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Nothing in Chautauqua is ever going to compare to great lakes perch.  Its like trying to compare the sand traps at Moon Brook CC with the dunes in the Gobi desert.  Ever notice how a goldfish in a small fish bowl will stay small and one in a 50 gallon aquarium will get twice the size of the same species in the small bowl?  There definitely are some "big" perch in Chautauqua. 12-13"...absolutely.  Just have to find them.  Will they ever stack up with Great Lakes perch?? NOpE!  But as far as good eating fish that won't make you glow or your kids come out with webbed feet, come on down and fill a bucket up with 10 inchers from chuatauqua. There's plenty.  Bring the wife and kids. Get your bait from the Happy Hooker, have a beer at Southern Tier Brewing Company, and have lunch at Tom's Tavern or Guppies.  Just pick up your trash, tip your servers and/or bartenders, be safe and have fun.

Offline newiceking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Nothing in Chautauqua is ever going to compare to great lakes perch.  Its like trying to compare the sand traps at Moon Brook CC with the dunes in the Gobi desert.  Ever notice how a goldfish in a small fish bowl will stay small and one in a 50 gallon aquarium will get twice the size of the same species in the small bowl?  There definitely are some "big" perch in Chautauqua. 12-13"...absolutely.  Just have to find them.  Will they ever stack up with Great Lakes perch?? NOpE!  But as far as good eating fish that won't make you glow or your kids come out with webbed feet, come on down and fill a bucket up with 10 inchers from chuatauqua. There's plenty.  Bring the wife and kids. Get your bait from the Happy Hooker, have a beer at Southern Tier Brewing Company, and have lunch at Tom's Tavern or Guppies.  Just pick up your trash, tip your servers and/or bartenders, be safe and have fun.
:thumbsup: Amen! Hats off to you Panamanica!!! :clap:
[img]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/MeatHuter737/l_2daa0c58421d4e89949b42784be7c9c7.jpg/img]

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:30 PM »

Right On!          :thumbsup:   Tom's Tavern is great......love the popcorn and wings..   

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I hear ya. Trust me no offense to chautauqua at all.   Looking forward to hitting up the hardwater all weekend. Has anyone been out today?  Wondering how the ice is looking toward longpoint way.  And could anyone give any pointers on how to catch a crappie through the ice?  I've been up and down that lake all last year... day and night and have never got a nibble.  Not sure if they don't like minnows in the winter or what.

Guppies is a solid place for some grub and a beer at lunch time..ha

Offline waltergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'To fish or not to fish' What a stupid question.
« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Not to say your not telling the truth but everytime i hear someone on chautauque say they got a "Jumbo" they all look the same which is about 9 inches.   Are these 11-13 inch fish really that length and hows the girth(fat guys)?  When i hear jumbo i'm thinking of the quality and size of perch caught through the ice on lake erie which are like little walleye.
Sorry but when i went to lake erie I only caught perch the size of my middle finger I dont waste my time with that Lake We usually do 100 times better at Chautauqua...Which I have brought home Nice Walleyes from   ;D where on Lake erie do you fish maybe its the spots we choose
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Every fisherman or woman  has a story. Only a select few have proof.

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Go about 4 to 5 miles out of sturgeon point if you can get past the shove ice... Try to get to 50 to 60 ft.   To bad its about a 5 day window every year and you risk your life everytime.   Just wait with a wheeler for the old guys to go out and follow them.  hahahah. But when your pulling buckets of fish from 13 to 16 inch range it seems worth it.  I do better on chautauqua to but can't keep away from the lake erie jumbos when its safe enough, which didn't happen last year.  Friends of mine tried to get out to the deep waters and almost went down with there bikes.  Actually they got lucky to get um out after the back end broke thru.  But enough lake erie talk

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:21 PM »
I hear ya. Trust me no offense to chautauqua at all.   Looking forward to hitting up the hardwater all weekend. Has anyone been out today?  Wondering how the ice is looking toward longpoint way.  And could anyone give any pointers on how to catch a crappie through the ice?  I've been up and down that lake all last year... day and night and have never got a nibble.  Not sure if they don't like minnows in the winter or what.

Guppies is a solid place for some grub and a beer at lunch time..ha
i've been trying to catch crappie too with no luck. yet i keep hearing people getting near limits.... i think it just may be another best kept secret along with walleye
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline flybuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:43 PM »
I,m heading out tonight, be there around 5:30 anyone going.......or at least a fresh mayville report, pm or post if you want to hook up  "saftey in numbers"

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #81 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Report back if you can. I'll be out that way Friday night.
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Like anything, mostly the combination of specific locations at specific times is what results in limits of anything on the ice for. Figuring out those 2 factors takes individual effort.  Most of this effort is being on the ice and moving around whether its hole to hole in the spot you chose that day or choosing where you go the next day.  For those poor saps who have lots of family and/or employment obligations SOME ice time can be substituted by research or 'book learnin' if you will. "Fishing" for advice on these types of sites is part of that but there are other resources out there. Learn your target species' biology (spawning habits, food preference, seasonal habitat shifts, and native range). Much of this can be found in the publications and research section of you state parallel to the NYS DEC. Besides my awesome family and friends, magazines like the Conservationist (published by NYS DEC) and NY Fur, Fish, and Game helped me evolve into an avid sportsperson.  I like the IShanty community as a general info site.  Ice thickness reports this time of year, snow drift reports later in the year, and general reports on fish activity.  Yeah as far as I know the ice is good at most accesses just stay wide for the creek mouths.  I will never tell you the whole story of what I had on for bait, at what time, off what access, in how many feet of water when I caught a limit of whatever.  And I hope that site never turns in to that.  LEARNING is the fun part about being a sportsperson.  So my little nugget for the budding crappie hunters are go lite on everything, move around, and talk to the folks with coleman lanterns, wool cloths, and hand augers not just the those with all sorts of wires and blinking lights around them.
Cheers     

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:22 PM »
COOOOL!!!! ;D

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:23 PM »
wow! Didn't know ice fishing would be that difficult! ;D

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #85 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Hit the North East side today, with Chi, and Big Tom, sun-up till 3:00’sh … ice looks, and feels fine (3”-6”) all over, most black – might be time for a wheeler this weekend (or sooner) … snow started piling around noon’sh (maybe 2”), and more’s on it’s way --- caught a bunch’a perch (throw backs were real high, 3, 4 out’a 5) - but a couple did push 10”(measured) … generally most of the fish were like Mayville specials … DINK’rs … kept 100 +/-.

Didn’t move a lot, maybe should’a --- guess we got just’a little to comfy with the feet up on the buckets, in Big Tom's Clam Base Camp, with the heat on, watching the flasher, reeling, and sorting fish …

… good stuff !!! … just’a lot’a small perch !
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline waltergirl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 'To fish or not to fish' What a stupid question.
« Reply #86 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:52 AM »
i've been trying to catch crappie too with no luck. yet i keep hearing people getting near limits.... i think it just may be another best kept secret along with walleye
Theres a certain time for crappie we didn't start catching them till around Feb. last year and grubs seem to be a good thing with the fly hooks set up  ..also the spring time last year we paddled kayaks and canoes out and caught our limit Really fun realing them in one after another with tube jigs and bobbers out of a kayak ....Im not saying this year will be the same but i try to remember past years to try and figure these darn fish out  ;) ...I have  nothing for Walleyes cause I thinks its just Luck when I catch one  :thumbsup:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles." Every fisherman or woman  has a story. Only a select few have proof.

Offline bobh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:28 PM »
anybody know of a good color portable,hand held gps unit?

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:02 PM »
anybody know of a good color portable,hand held gps unit?

if you start a new topic in the general page you will get a bigger response and will help you out more............

there are a few threads that are out there already that might help you out..........just use the search function.............. .

Offline eyelikeadeadfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Fishin is like pimpin it aint easy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.