New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413088 times)

Offline ibassman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: chautauqua ice fishing
« Reply #90 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Headin down sat night around midnight going to fish mayville if u want to meet up will have a frabill 2 man and a  red eskimo hut stop by and say high going to try and target papermouths. pm me if u want to meet up the more the better

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:16 AM »
A couple of questions guys. making plans fr the weekend. How much snow is on the ice? here in olean we have maybe 2inches.Also what time does the happy hooker open on weekends? thanks guys

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Just got off the ice.  Prendergast has 6" of snow on 4" of black ice.  Happy Hooker opens at 7am.

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:53 AM »
any keepers offpendergras

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:20 PM »
For those of you that fish in Dewittville Bay.. where can you park and walk out? Looks like it is all private in that area.

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:45 PM »
This is killing me!!  I'm seeing lots of shanties over by the Bell Tower, even a couple set up more South towards me at Chautauqua Shores, but I can't get past the shore ice! The creek just did to much damage after all that rain and I can't get on.  Grrrrrr  :'(  I know if I could get past the first 5 ft I would be good to go. Might have to find and drag a plank down.

Enjoy it out there w/o me........

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:19 PM »
what's wrong Dawg? the ice is good down at the institute just get on there ?

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #97 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:21 PM »
marcus, did you mark any wllys?

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:36 PM »
I have never seen so many huts at the Bell Tower, There has to be 30+. Lot's of people down by Pendergast too.  Hope everyone is doing well. I'm still stuck on shore, but might make it out tomorrow, Monday for sure.
Marcus, I don't have any wheels right now. Chautauqua Shores park is in my backyard, so I like to fish here.  A bit of a walk w/ gear to get over to Bell Tower for me.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The ice man cometh.....
« Reply #99 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Just got  a report from a friend out by Bell Tower. 12 perch all keepers, minnows on hali jigs out 30 F.O.W.....
had to split for a party. going down there next sunday...tight lines..Greg

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #100 on: Jan 08, 2011, 03:14 PM »
What size does he consider a keeper ? Everyone has their own definition. Thanks.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The ice man cometh.....
« Reply #101 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Over 8" is my def. and he has fished with us before. Won't keep a dink. Sent me one pic of about 10". said by the time he left total was 16 n the bucket. Tried to convince him to drop them off at my house if he was to busy going to that party.....mmmmm, fish fry daddy.......Greg

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #102 on: Jan 08, 2011, 04:38 PM »
Thanks Greg

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:57 PM »
No chatter? Hmmm....Don't know what that means...secrets? I can tell you the ice is setting up almost exactly like last year (about a week off on the timing).  East side is getting deep snow/slush as of sunday. Some areas had decent main paths. The action seemed slow overall 1st half of the day in deep water.  A little better on the other side in the evening.  We are getting dumped on right now.  Could be a tough drag after this one. 
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:27 AM »
I was out on Monday, tried dewittville, SLUSH and dangerous ice so we got out of there.  Headed to Long Point, got some nice sized perch with steady action.  Ice was about 7" with a bit of slush but not too bad.  This snow storm we are getting now is gunna be hell for dragging and slush.  Anyone finding and crappie? I dont need details just maybe a general whereabouts?
-Chris

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Haven't been out since monday (before the last dumping). Crappie were not active where I was.  Some nice night gill action and random nocturnal perch.  The gills I've got after dark quite a bit but sizable perch in an area where you get mostly dinks during the day was an odd surprise.  May try to his some deeper water on the east side at dusk tomorrow.  See if the pressure drop turned the wallys on.  Make sure to eat your wheaties if you plan on dragging anywhere this weekend.

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:30 PM »
We need a good, deep low pressure storm with 50 kt. winds to blow that stuff off the lake.  Its crazy how much snow is out there, no fun pulling any distance.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Or some warm weather and/or rain.  Otherwise it just piles up on the east side of the lake

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:08 PM »
How bad would a guy get bashed if he brought a snowblower to make a trail, seriously thinking about it.

Offline NY_BLUES

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:17 PM »
take the snowblower, Ill be right behind you with my gear!!! ;D

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Not to sure how much the snowmobilers would like it, lol!

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #111 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:25 PM »
How bad would a guy get bashed if he brought a snowblower to make a trail, seriously thinking about it.

… years back (80’s) when we fished Lake George / Champlain, or any of the Adirondack lakes  – we’d plow the ice with whatever it took to get out there to the shanty (permanents) …  4WD’s, plow on wheelers – Snow Blowers … anything it took … those where the days when “mobile” Frabill, and Clams weren’t the standard … the shacks were there for the season ...

… we just might be lookin’ at one of those kind’a years … I’d say --- do it .. !

** BUILD IT --- and they will come !!! **
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:39 PM »
We gonna vote on where to blow a trail seeing as there is a million possibilities?

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:57 AM »
I think CB is right...one of those years.  Last year got pretty tough too.  I always wondered why there aren't hardly any permanent shanties on Chautauqua.  When I was in the upper peninsula of MI they were all over any inland lake that was worth fishing.  People would drag those things out miles from the public access with whatever they had.  Once they're set they're set so the key was finding a productive spot.  Me and couple buddies had one for a year.  We didn't pick the best spot but we also ran a bunch of tipups in the neighborhood.  It was just nice to have a spot to get in and warm up then go out and explore if the weather wasn't horrible.  Ours was pretty solid with a good lock on the door so we could leave some gear in there and not have to haul it out every time. 
Someone had one out on Mayville last year and it stayed out there most of the season.  As far as I know its legal just nobody does it...yet. 
I say whatever you have to make it easier on yourself to get out and fish.  Go for it, the snowmobilers can slow down and go around.

Offline Allen66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Made up my mind i'm going to try it. Can't make it down till sunday or monday. Might not work well with the slush and crap but it's worth a shot. What do u guys think about drilling some holes off to the side to flood the trail after its cleaned off so the ice builds up some?

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:27 PM »
  Go for it, the snowmobilers can slow down and go around.
i agree, just had an arguement with another person about the snowmobiles, he tried telling me we are all in the way,   ..  umm, its a lake last i checked, so if i anchored my boat, would i have to move for a jet ski? i dont think so ;D.....    (i may have just started a rant, :whistle:   oops)......    anyways, go for it with the snowblower  :thumbsup: , worth a try
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Anyone been at mayville today?  Wonder if ice is a little thicker or did the slush at least freeze up.  Not worried to much about the snow depth

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #117 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:23 PM »
we don't normally drill holes in the middle of their trails. They have a 20 mile long lake to ride on . At mayville, just show some respect and when they come on the ice with their snmbles, drive around the main pack, with a minimum of , say 150 feet, before they speed up to get to the next watering hole.Eventually, somebody will get hurt when they drive through the pack, especially at night. Not asking for much, just a safe distance so nobody gets hurt.

Offline papatim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Fished Mayville today, fish were very nice to me. Ice was about 5" every were i drilled. slush that's another story. not to bad in A.M. some spots over 8" deep going out in the afternoon.

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #119 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:58 PM »
I'm on the snow thrower thing.  Really.  I'll go out of prendergast straight and come back on the same path.  I figure if I tow the gas can behind me I wont run out in the middle.  D-vill might see my rath path maker also.  It'll take me till next monday to get back out that way but it'll get done.  I figure this idea will work better than the Nitro Pill Dispenser at every access point.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.