The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Barton's Cove  (Read 5090 times)

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Barton's Cove
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Thanks all!  They are pricey.  This starts me in the right direction and been reading up on old posts on the Hali's and the hook mods.
I am headed out to Comet Pond in Hubbardston to try some stuff out this weekend...
See some of you on the 2nd at Barton.  Beerme, I'll even bring you a beer even though your a troll...
Good luck at comet. I personally have had next to zero luck there through the ice but I know people can do okay there. 

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:58 PM »
Good luck at comet. I personally have had next to zero luck there through the ice but I know people can do okay there.

I’ve caught nice Brookies and tigers there. Lack of baitfish means only bugs to feed on - and those trout seem to do better in that environment. Set up shallow - 6 feet or less

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:06 PM »
I’ve caught nice Brookies and tigers there. Lack of baitfish means only bugs to feed on - and those trout seem to do better in that environment. Set up shallow - 6 feet or less
I do a number on them in there open water. 20 fish days are not uncommon. Now ice is a different story. My favorite pond for tigers.

Offline Fishskins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:13 AM »
I do a number on them in there open water. 20 fish days are not uncommon. Now ice is a different story. My favorite pond for tigers.

Interesting.  Two of the guys im going with have been to comet before. 
I was reading an old article from ice shanty from 2013 where the guy took the chain off a heli sukkula and added his own 6" floro leader with a #14 scud fly... I am putting one together to try it out... 

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2019, 10:58 AM »
There are trout in the river caught one years ago shad fishing. Have also seen salmon.

So have I. Not surprising considering the CT is fed by hundreds of tributaries that hold/ are stocked with trout.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Interesting.  Two of the guys im going with have been to comet before. 
I was reading an old article from ice shanty from 2013 where the guy took the chain off a heli sukkula and added his own 6" floro leader with a #14 scud fly... I am putting one together to try it out...

I've done this with some success on perch but not trout. Granted I don't fish specifically for trout much but my favorite method is drilling 2 holes 2 feet apart and dropping a small tungsten jig down one hole and sending a larger bait with some flash and vibration (slender spoon usually) down the other to draw them in. When I see some marks on the sonar if they aren't smashing the spoon I'll pull it up and start working the tungsten. I usually tip it with a tiny plastic minnow or grub with some kind of tail on it. Seems to work well, turned a 25 trout day at Crystal Lake in CT doing this last year. Just keep in mind that "counts" as two lines in the water. If I already had 4 traps in I'd pull the hook off the spoon to comply with the letter of the law.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.