New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE ERIE 2014/2015  (Read 105979 times)

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE ERIE 2014/2015
« Reply #750 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:41 PM »
Yes on the cleats, mostly smooth ice some softer spots. The past couple days have been cold enough for the top to freeze up real good. Not a bad walk in my opinion. Hope that helps.
Perfect. Thanks again

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #751 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:46 PM »

OK.
You gave a thumbs down to my suggestions.
So where would you suggest this guy take his family ice fishing that's safe and he could put something in the freezer?

Guys I'm talking about non ice fishing guys Vikings would def be where I'd go if I wanted to get them on the ice my wife and I actually went there last week limited in a half day 7-9 with a couple 10s. Thanks though 😄

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #752 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Squaw Island north end below the Black Rock Lock has perch in the slam water areas there. The foot of Ontario Street Park is also a good shore fishing spot.

Thank you I know the foot of Ontario where is squaw island though. I've also herd cranberry pond in Rochester but that's a little far. But to go back to my original question now that it's clear I'm not speaking about ice fishing has anyone ever fished niagara Rez in spring or summer herd there's some jumbos but hard to catch with the rocky shore

Offline gonzo67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #753 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:05 PM »
20-30 mph winds ? hell that's a good walleye chop

Offline tava14226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #754 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Hi

How reliable is Jeromes bait shop for small minnows?  He is right there next to the catt on alleghany rd
Does he keep a good stock or should i buy beore leaving buffalo?

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #755 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Thank you I know the foot of Ontario where is squaw island though. I've also herd cranberry pond in Rochester but that's a little far. But to go back to my original question now that it's clear I'm not speaking about ice fishing has anyone ever fished niagara Rez in spring or summer herd there's some jumbos but hard to catch with the rocky shore
you are right about the rocky shore you have to reel in as fast as you possibly can or your hung up it can be good fishing but limited parking do to the easiest acsess is on the rez side and they sometimes screw with cars or you have one hell of a walk up the monster hill

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #756 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:05 PM »
cranberry and long pond are good right after ice out or try beaver island or holiday on grand island or if you have a boat theres several other options

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #757 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:54 PM »
To reach Squaw Island you drive over the International RR Bridge and follow the road to the north end. Just figure it out and look for the entrance sign.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline gonzo67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #758 on: Mar 20, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Not much on catch today, friend of mine out today said very slow . Oh well I'm gonna battle the winds tomorrow for 1 more trip . I see Sunday on the breezy side but 20°  colder so tomorrow it is.   :)

Offline tcbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #759 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Walked out of Catt today, slippery but easy walk in AM. Missed the early bite first thing and only managed a few but all big. Seems like you gotta be out there ready to fish at first light for numbers, then it dwindles significantly after 9AM. One here one there. Walk in at 2PM was easier than walk out. A little slush but nothing bad. Still a foot or more out there. Good luck.

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #760 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Fished for about an hour and a half tonight, top getting spongy but ifine for the walkers. Supposed to stay warm tonight so I don't see it hardening up. Witnessed two different wheelers get stuck at the shoves and went in to my knee at one of them myself. Solid 10 inches of clear ice everywhere we were but ice seems soft which made for easy drilling. Bite for us was non existent but guys were telling us that first light is best. Good luck and stay safe.
C'mon, share some info. I do.

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #761 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Hi

How reliable is Jeromes bait shop for small minnows?  He is right there next to the catt on alleghany rd
Does he keep a good stock or should i buy beore leaving buffalo?
Millers minnows are pretty big. Even his "small" minnows. But he has em and they're hardy.

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #762 on: Mar 21, 2015, 12:09 PM »
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FISH OUT OF THE CATTARAUGUS/SUNSET BAY. A buddy got off the ice an hour ago and said one of the shoves opened up around 8ft wide. You have people that depend on you and so do the responders that may have to respond. Time to get the boats ready and we'll get em again in a month and a half. Stay safe and enjoy you fish fries!

Offline gonzo67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #763 on: Mar 21, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Yeah my dumb ass was out there today, ice started to shove real bad & we were on the wrong side of cracking ice. Big time mad dash to get on the right side. Everyone helped each other out  to safety. . 1 hut still another mile out hope the fireman got them in . Pretty safe to say the ice on Erie done for this yr .

Offline ratfink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #764 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Well I guess that answers my question for tomorrow. Never made it out on Erie this year, better get the boat ready.

Was this off the Catt or Silver Creek?

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #765 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Hello just got off erie at the catt also had to go wipe my ass I never seen any thing like that before we also were on the wrong side of the crack  thank god we made it  hated to leave fish showed again on the vex. Took my girl friend first time this year  she caught some nice perch says she probably won't go again.    Ever!     See ya  next  year  hope every body aok.   Roger?

Offline tava14226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #766 on: Mar 21, 2015, 03:27 PM »
 Yeh. pretty scary stuff.  glad to see everyone helping each other out today.  i am glad to be home on my couch with beer in hand

Offline davile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #767 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Yesterday I got to watch a guy name Hollywood fight a fish for one  hour while the bit was nothing.He complained about the guys partying ! I personaly think he was drounding his sorrows with these guys cause he realed in a rock 2to 3 pound rock no b.s.I think he was as numb as they where.

Offline JohnnyOnTheSpot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #768 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Dumb? Stupid? No common sense? Morons........  think these situations will have and impact on future fishing?... like access.. No love lost. you are all fools to have headed out. Obviously you know nothing of fishing responsibly.  Know the ice.... know the weather.. and apparently you did neither!!! 

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #769 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:33 PM »
Dumb? Stupid? No common sense? Morons........  think these situations will have and impact on future fishing?... like access.. No love lost. you are all fools to have headed out. Obviously you know nothing of fishing responsibly.  Know the ice.... know the weather.. and apparently you did neither!!!
                 the fact here is they all got off the ice safe and   for you to call all  these guys   DUMB STUPID  AND MORONS  you just call a lot of guys names and these people will remember  JOHNNYONTHESPOT  so when you ask for advice next year to where there catching fish or ice conditions remember you called all these guys DUMB STUPID AND MORONS   don't expect any info from me or the DUMB STUPID AND MORONS THAT FISH AROUND HERE THATS MY 2CENTS       BIGFISH :flex: :flex: :flex:    one thing you been shanty a little a month   ived been fishing lake erie for over forty years like aquaman  said no one can predict wind gusts on lake erie    MORON  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sharps45-90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #770 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:42 PM »
I went yesterday . The ice was good, with a good group of people. . . Ask the coast guard they will tell you there is no safe ice to go out on. . . . It can turn to crap almost any day you head out. Same as the summer , how many fishing stories on Erie start out , the weather was great the lake was smooth as glass then the weather changed and it was holly hell getting back in. They went out and back home to their families. Good day in my book. If things turned to crap yesterday you would have called me the moron.

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #771 on: Mar 21, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Oh no ....J.O.S...you got the triple stink eye from bigfish, that aint good. Take up water polo cuz you just got the "aint catchin no fish on erie" curse. Nobody can predict wind gusts that break up good ice on big water.
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline JohnnyOnTheSpot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #772 on: Mar 21, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Yah well when they stop allowing people to ice fish on the open lake we will see who's b***hin.. don't think it's possible? I laugh at you. And look at the sat images.... then define a person who would go with a better term...

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #773 on: Mar 21, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Know the ice, know the weather,  and if mother nature throws you a curve.. Know that the guys you went out with... have your back.
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #774 on: Mar 21, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Yah well when they stop allowing people to ice fish on the open lake we will see who's b***hin.. don't think it's possible? I laugh at you. And look at the sat images.... then define a person who would go with a better term...
Ya know what J.O.S.. I agree with you, KINDA.. I agree that this late in the year it seems silly to me that guys are going out on erie.. HOWEVER, those guys are truly ERIE DIEHARDS!!!!! Just like some of the Oneida diehards...  I think you guys are nuts for going out there, but, honestly,  I'm really just jealous that I don't have the balls to do the same thing.... it's good to know everybody out there was helping each other get back to safe ice!!!!! And I can't wait to hear more ice stories and reports from all of you!
I took my first erie ice trip this year for Ohio eyes.. Best ice trip EVER, and will become a erie junkie once ice gets good just like the rest of you!!!

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #775 on: Mar 21, 2015, 06:06 PM »

Johnny - if you want to fish tomorrow, let us know where you'd like to go and we'll chauffeur you around and put you on fish .. You can pick the lake .. There's plenty of ice out there all over western NY. If you're unavailable, watch the board tomorrow for the score !
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #776 on: Mar 21, 2015, 06:18 PM »
 :clap: :clap:

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #777 on: Mar 21, 2015, 06:53 PM »
fishnjon,  You GET IT,....This is what we do and this is when we do it... we run the season as long as we can, just as our brothers on onieda do. its big water and weather can screw u in an instant. WE LIVE in the moment and if mother nature throws the curve..we have each other .......ps I have some great numbers for u off port Clinton for huge eyes,,.... J.O.S none for you

Offline perch28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #778 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:24 PM »
hey johnny on the spot come to angola so I can drop a ducer on your head how can u even post something like that bushman and big fish makn trail out of hamb tomorrow let me know in the am

Offline mjw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #779 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:36 PM »
Jackie bushman pm sent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.