New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413185 times)

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1920 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:02 AM »
All done. Radio show is gone too..
That's too bad.  he was fun to listen to when I was down in radio range..

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1921 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:03 AM »
Having Doctari back in our iceshanty forum lives is like having a heat rash and jogging in thermals from 1973 on a humid 90 degree day.
Awww...  You say the most uplifting things!  Hey, at least its memorable :)

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1922 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:05 AM »
Watching and waiting. Still covered as of this am.

Keep eyes on it.  DTrain is thinking of heading down Fri or Sat to see if Sunday will be a go...

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1923 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Keep eyes on it.  DTrain is thinking of heading down Fri or Sat to see if Sunday will be a go...
If he doesn't make it down Friday I will be heading that way sat so I will keep you posted

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1924 on: Mar 02, 2016, 01:05 PM »
If he doesn't make it down Friday I will be heading that way sat so I will keep you posted
Thanks D!  Would love one more run at them pigs...

Offline 85champ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1925 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Heard at the bell tower shore ice is getting bad people were breaking threw very shallow water. Hope it locks up for the morning looking to make a last trip down

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1926 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:38 PM »
d-balm, how've a been ? i met you many years ago at the case lake tournement. it was great meeting/talking to you. i hope all is going well.

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1927 on: Mar 03, 2016, 06:19 AM »
hey dbalm I see u r from franklinville is bob love still arond

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1928 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:56 AM »
hey dbalm I see u r from franklinville is bob love still arond
YUP. Him and my father r good friends and my little bro golfs with him

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1929 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:12 AM »
d-balm, how've a been ? i met you many years ago at the case lake tournement. it was great meeting/talking to you. i hope all is going well.
Im doing well. How about you? That nasty 4 letter word called WORK is getting in the way of my fishing ;D

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1930 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:32 AM »
how far of a walk of mld way to get eyes

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1931 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:38 AM »
how far of a walk of mld way to get eyes
short walk. 33 FOW. Watch out for the creek

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1932 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:03 AM »
how is walk and ice at dewitville creek

Offline Lilmike2684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1933 on: Mar 03, 2016, 10:44 AM »
How's the ice around mayville mo son wants to get out with me for my last trip of the season he's 9

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1934 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:47 PM »
How's the ice around mayville mo son wants to get out with me for my last trip of the season he's 9
Not a good idea...

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1935 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Is there not any safe ice at all? BELL Tower?

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1936 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:37 PM »
Dbaker call Hogan's Hut and ask them

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1937 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Don I did Skip was gone and the person on the phone said they didn't really know conditions

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1938 on: Mar 03, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Lots of other good lakes to fish that have current ice conditions you can try if you can't get any good reports on Chautauqua if you had your location on your profile it would be easier to point some of the out

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1939 on: Mar 03, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Thanks Don i have it in there now. I am new to this site and this is myfirst year ice fishing so I am new to figuring out where to fish and when ice is unsafe. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1940 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Not a good afternoon for the Maniac.  Drove from the bridge to prendergast on 394.  From the road it didn't look good.  BIG wet spots all over the south end.  Open water under the bridge and WAY out from Ball Creek in Hadley.  Bemus creek and the shore acres ditch had done the same thing on the other side of the bridge.  Saw a few guys out in Whitney that must have walked on from their own private property between 394.  I didn't want to piss them off because they may have yanked the board they must have had to get out there on me.  I went to the prendergast boat launch and it was impossible without a LONG plank, raft, or floating bridge. 
By this time it's 5pm.  Race back to the bridge and over to LP.  See another group of 6 or so across the lake in Wells.  Not sure where they got on but there were no tracks at the boat launch.  At least there was ice in the launch and around shore BUT it was not thick enough to hold me out to the good ice.  In hindsight maybe toward the point from the launch may have been better to try.  I went WELL over my muck boots pushing my luck around the launch and headed home a bit less than half wet.
The south end of the Lake from 17 looks very bad.  Open water up almost to the upper end of rock island and the yacht club.
I live and work close so no big loss in travel time/gas.
Its going to be 20s-30s the next too days which is poor-mediocre ice making weather
This weekend you MAY be able to get to the fishable ice that's left but it could well be sketchy at best or disaster at worst getting off shore.  I certainly wouldn't bring the wife and kids if they've never walked 12' of floating 2x4s tied together with bailing twine.
If you come out be careful and bring some safety equipment.
There's some good ice left out in the
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1941 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:45 PM »
From this post the fat lady has sung loud and clear to me. THAT"S IT FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sad to say will retire all my stuff Sat :'(

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1942 on: Mar 03, 2016, 07:58 PM »
It really sucks I wanted to get one more trip in. Definitely not the best season to take up ice fishing but if I enjoyed this much this year. It will be great when I get a good season. I am stuck on the fence weather to go to Bell Tower tomorrow or put my stuff away.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1943 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:00 PM »
good to see ya Doc on here! what happened to grizzly garys  hunting and fishing?

Gary let the site go. there are no plans of getting it back up.. Sucks as if we all had time we could have let everyone know of the other forums that we are on....

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1944 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:54 AM »
Gary let the site go. there are no plans of getting it back up.. Sucks as if we all had time we could have let everyone know of the other forums that we are on....
No doubt...  I'll have to get a hold of Gary and break his you know whats...

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1945 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Not a good afternoon for the Maniac.  Drove from the bridge to prendergast on 394.  From the road it didn't look good.  BIG wet spots all over the south end.  Open water under the bridge and WAY out from Ball Creek in Hadley.  Bemus creek and the shore acres ditch had done the same thing on the other side of the bridge.  Saw a few guys out in Whitney that must have walked on from their own private property between 394.  I didn't want to piss them off because they may have yanked the board they must have had to get out there on me.  I went to the prendergast boat launch and it was impossible without a LONG plank, raft, or floating bridge. 
By this time it's 5pm.  Race back to the bridge and over to LP.  See another group of 6 or so across the lake in Wells.  Not sure where they got on but there were no tracks at the boat launch.  At least there was ice in the launch and around shore BUT it was not thick enough to hold me out to the good ice.  In hindsight maybe toward the point from the launch may have been better to try.  I went WELL over my muck boots pushing my luck around the launch and headed home a bit less than half wet.
The south end of the Lake from 17 looks very bad.  Open water up almost to the upper end of rock island and the yacht club.
I live and work close so no big loss in travel time/gas.
Its going to be 20s-30s the next too days which is poor-mediocre ice making weather
This weekend you MAY be able to get to the fishable ice that's left but it could well be sketchy at best or disaster at worst getting off shore.  I certainly wouldn't bring the wife and kids if they've never walked 12' of floating 2x4s tied together with bailing twine.
If you come out be careful and bring some safety equipment.
There's some good ice left out in the
Excellent report!  Yes, I was also down there yesterday, as I had to take a couple new video servers down to Jamestown High and get them installed.  Afterwards, after 4PM, I headed over to MS to see what was up.  Shore is locked, but thin.  Apparently the entire shore opened up from the creek south to past the old steamship pier.  I could see the thickness was pitiful at best.  Certainly some shifting occurred as some shove was piled up on the shore. 

Didn't bother to grab the spud and check, don't think I would have gotten too far.  As I pulled up, to the lake, saw my Dad heading out from the lake house.  Spoke with him, he was down there for a couple days, and he indicated the open water the day before was pretty big.  Also indicated that on Wednesday it was near 50 degrees down there.  With the past two weekends ending in a thaw and standing water on the ice, I suspect some significant honeycombing went on. 

Hate to say it, but I believe the fat lady is in full throat aria right now.  Next week temps will be hitting the low 60's.  Open water will be here before we know it.

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1946 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Of course, there also exists an outside chance to get out there one last time.  Depends on where on the lake, and if the main plates didn't get too broken up, maybe....  But.....  Most likely will be better to hold off and enjoy spring, summer, the hunt and a new ice season next year...

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1947 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Doc's right! It's done

Offline adkmountainman1

• IceShanty Rookie
Chautauqua lake
« Reply #1948 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:52 AM »
is it worth going Chautauqua, does anyone know how safe the ice is?
Timbo

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chautauqua lake
« Reply #1949 on: Mar 04, 2016, 12:32 PM »
is it worth going Chautauqua, does anyone know how safe the ice is?

There is already a thread for Chautauqua Lake on this Ice Fishing NY page.  Check it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.