New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413515 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1620 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Nice catch Big Fish!  We've been going to Chautauqua.  Perch aren't as big there, but still decent sized.  We're up to 980 (three weekends, a group of us).  All 8-9 inches.

Everyone that I have talked to that knows this lake, and has fished it as their main lake, have caught that many or more perch.  Keep on catching those perch, we need to reduce the population so they grow bigger.  But you know, it has been this way for quite some time and the size of perch haven't increased much in the last few years, so it will probably be the same next year.

Offline Stryder444

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a man and his ice rod (& hut, aug, vex, quad)
« Reply #1621 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:38 AM »
I agree with you that even with the large numbers of perch people are taking from the lake, it is actually helping because there are so many perch in it.  I find it very possible that the shear amount of perch in the lake is the reason we aren't seeing some of the other species as much.  The millions of perch have to feed on something, so fish eggs and small fry would seem to be one of their targets.

On the other hand, it seems to me that the huge population explosion started 4 or 5 years ago.  I remember going anywhere in the lake and catching 4-5 inch perch.  Then it seemed 5-6.  This year seemed 7-8 with a lot leaning toward 8.  I, for one, am looking forward to the next few years of perch fishing here.  I'm hoping next year will be a majority of 9 inchers and maybe 10's the year after that.  By that time the fisherman will be pulling them out in huge numbers until the population gets under control.  It would have happened already but they were to small to fillet.  Then I'm hoping the cycle continues and another species becomes the main fish caught.  (Come on Crappie!) I truly miss the days of limiting out on slabs all the time.  But so did everyone else, that's why the lake isn't packed with them like the perch.  But as soon as the perch are "Jack" sized, you can bet everyone and their brother will be coming.

Especially after reading the reports from other lakes in Western NY, we seemed to have hit the jackpot here at Chautauqua this year (in comparison).  Although they aren't Erie sized Jack Perch, I for one, can't wait till next year.  Come to think of it, I have a boat and probably won't!  Between the perch, the hopeful spring crappie, and the now burning desire to have my picture taken with a monster Musky, I plan on spending some quality time here this year.

Just my 2 cents.

If my advice sounds good, you probably need more practice.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1622 on: Mar 19, 2015, 04:50 PM »
perch aint changed much in length in the last 5 years...jmo
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #1623 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:45 PM »
perch aint changed much in length in the last 5 years...jmo
Or the last 20 that I can remember maybe even 30 years. seemed to always be that length.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline 1952

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heck it's only money keep going!
« Reply #1624 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I am 62 years old ,and when I was 16 the perch are still the same Today as then!
If it smells like fish what do You think it is???

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1625 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I understand what u vets r saying but I'm only 26 and I can honestly say the fish I think overall r getting bigger average size last year was 6 inches or less this year 7-8 with some close to 10-11 but this year I cuaght nothing under 6 inches like the past few years. We have been hitting limits of 7-10 inches in half days it used to take all day to weed thru the dinks. Maybe just a good year but I hope they keep getting bigger that's for sure. I love fishing the big Lake Erie pulling up 14+ inches but if I can keep filling buckets I'll take a limit of nice keepers over walking and draging 2+ miles for a handful of jumbos.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1626 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I caught three 12" perch this year at Chautauqua and a couple 11" but mainly 8-10" fish in this lake this year. I was out over a dozen times.  If you really need the 10 TO 12" perch in quantity Chautauqua is the wrong lake for you.   Try Oneida it is still safe or Erie but Erie may not be safe anymore.
Now keep in mind this was 20 years or so ago so I was young but I remember my Grandpa taking me across the bridge to bemus and going up one of the side roads.... it was somewhere between S Ralph St. and S Clifford St. He stopped at the end of the road and we went out on a dock and he told me to let the line down with a minnow on it. I had one of those wire fish baskets and 2 hrs later when he came back it was full.... I swear they were in the 10-12" range cause they were huge but I was like 12 or so so who knows....... He has a camp on hadley bay

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1627 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:31 PM »

He caught it on a tip up trying for Walleye or big perch.  He had used a 6" auger to drill the holes and had to get a bigger one to lengthen the hole to get it out.  Even then managing to get it out of the hole was a feat.  This was after fighting him by hand for at least 1/2 and hour, maybe longer.  He definitely "earned" that fish.  I hope he gets a replica to mount on the wall next to his picture of it.

My friend a week ago caught one on a jigging rapala of Dewitville Bay that he says was 48 inches and a foot across the back.  He didn't have a camera (or phone) to take a picture, though.  Most guys I wouldn't believe but he actually doesn't even have a cell phone and fishes all the time. 

When Musky season opens, I'm going to have to give it a try here.  I'm sure my wife won't mind me spending even more money on the poles and lures for another kind of fishing.  Especially when she finds out we won't be eating it, and could be paying more to mount it!

That muskie is most likely DEAD!  If that dude fought it in cold water for more than a half hour and then held it out of the water for god knows how long just so you could take a picture it got very stress out and probably died.
In fact it is illegal to remove them from the water out of season. I hope your buddy gets tracked down by the DEC and ticketed (not likely).  If you truly have respect for the fish and hook them through the ice you should break them off imediately unless you are SURE you can remove the hook/lure without taking them out of the water (also not likely).
If you want to target them during the season that's great and I encourage it. Winter is a rough time for muskie and they don't recover well from long fights and being out of the water in cold air. Even in open water a long (15 min+) fight and handling will kill a lunge long term.
Any real musky angler will tell you the quicker they're in the net, released, and back in the water the better.
Please don't target them through the ice and if you hook one don't play with it and try to ice it. Please. 
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1628 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Out yesterday off long point from 2-7 with my girlfriend. Got 80 between 8 and 11, but only one 11

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1629 on: Mar 20, 2015, 01:16 PM »
i have to agree with panamaniac on not trying to fight a muskie on light tackle. 

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1630 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Planning on trying out of the Vikings club for the first time tomorrow, and usually grab a bite for dinner someplace (Mayville usually) when I finish fishing.  I've read that the club lets non-members in during the off season.  Is this still the case?  if so, how's the food? Prices?  Cash only?

Thanks

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1631 on: Mar 20, 2015, 07:49 PM »
That muskie is most likely DEAD!  If that dude fought it in cold water for more than a half hour and then held it out of the water for god knows how long just so you could take a picture it got very stress out and probably died.
In fact it is illegal to remove them from the water out of season. I hope your buddy gets tracked down by the DEC and ticketed (not likely).  If you truly have respect for the fish and hook them through the ice you should break them off imediately unless you are SURE you can remove the hook/lure without taking them out of the water (also not likely).
If you want to target them during the season that's great and I encourage it. Winter is a rough time for muskie and they don't recover well from long fights and being out of the water in cold air. Even in open water a long (15 min+) fight and handling will kill a lunge long term.
Any real musky angler will tell you the quicker they're in the net, released, and back in the water the better.
Please don't target them through the ice and if you hook one don't play with it and try to ice it. Please.
GOOD! All those stinky, slimy, good for nothing fish do is devour the bass and walleyes. Kill em all as far as I'm concerned. JMO.
C'mon, share some info. I do.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1632 on: Mar 20, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Last Saturday I noticed a large 3" wide pressure crack about 50 yds off shore at the Bell Tower.  It crossed in front of the Bell Tower and went out across the lake towards Midway Park.  It was froze across last Sat.   Does anyone know if this crack has opened up with the warm weather?

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1633 on: Mar 21, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Went to long point yesterday. Perch bite was awesome. Still good ice. Great day out. Since this was my first time on chautauqua lake I was very impressed. Will def be back next year!
Empire State Fishing

Offline trout-killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1634 on: Mar 21, 2015, 11:01 AM »

well said!

i wish the DEC had more of a presence on this lake. The Chautauqua lake musky is a unique sub-species of the muskelunge. Native primarily to this lake and to a lesser extent the upper ohio river. Due mostly to a good breeding program here on Chautauqua this sub-species is doing pretty well here. if you hook one through the ice, just break it off. Save your trophy pic until they are in season.

Offline ratfink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1635 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:04 PM »
any update on conditions today?

Offline rando3369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1636 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:09 PM »
any update on conditions today?

Wet!  In Mayville ice is still ok at about 12" but mostly white.  Starting to soften up a bit on top in places.  Edges are still good as of late this morning.  Caught a bunch of sunnies, a couple bass, and one crappie.  Most of the fish I caught were small.  Probably about 25 guys out this morning.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1637 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Tomorrow I want to try long point for perch it will be my first time there any pointers other then 30+ fow thanks for the help

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1638 on: Mar 21, 2015, 04:59 PM »
The bite is so good at long point it does not matter what you put on they will hit it a buddy of mine and me did 84 in 4 hours last weekend they where hiting  minnows waxies spikes bare jig it did not matter what we put on could have limited out many times over only kept 9.5 to 10 inchers

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1639 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:33 PM »
It's been awhile since I've been to Chautauqua. Isn't there a boat lanch on east side of lake near where the ferry use to cross.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1640 on: Mar 21, 2015, 08:51 PM »
It's been awhile since I've been to Chautauqua. Isn't there a boat launch on east side of lake near where the ferry use to cross.

Yes, the boat launch on the East side is Long Point state launch.  Very easy to find from the main road, signs show the way.  I have fished Long Point, Midway, Pendergast and Bell Tower many times this year, let me report the actual perch size being caught this year.  7"- 9" are common with most being 8"-8.5" and throw in a few 9.5"-10", but only a few.  And yes an occasional 11" or 12" may be caught for the entire season.  Any reports that say perch size 9.5" and above are common may be stretching the fish a little.  Anyone fishing this lake  this year knows this to be true.  Ice today at the Bell Tower and Long Point was 15" thick (6" white and 9" black).   The rain did not hurt the ice today.  Shore ice is good.  It was 30 degrees when I left at 7pm.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1641 on: Mar 22, 2015, 02:32 AM »
It's been awhile sence I've been to Chautauqua. I'snt there a boat lanch on east side of lake near where the ferry use to cross.

Yes its on Springbrook Ave

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1642 on: Mar 22, 2015, 04:31 AM »
Thanks PC,we3. Was thinking LP was one of the others.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1643 on: Mar 22, 2015, 10:21 AM »
GOOD! All those stinky, slimy, good for nothing fish that  do is devour the bass and walleyes. Kill em all as far as I'm concerned. JMO.

Stickbow, spoken like a true sportsman.....NOT!!!! Chautauqua has historically been a MUSKIE lake, with an active stocking and rearing lake with a hatchery that supplies stocked muskies for many bodies of water throughout NY, PA,and OH. Your statement is ignorant and is indicative of the type of person you really are. Chautauqua as a whole as been flourishing as a fishery for the last several years,for ALL species. So you and your ignorant post hold no weight.

Muskies....all other fish are just bait!!!
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1644 on: Mar 22, 2015, 12:08 PM »
I plan in making one last trip tomorrow afternoon, let's hope the perch will cooperate!

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1645 on: Mar 22, 2015, 01:04 PM »
fished yesterday and had best day of the season.  Only kept 8 1/2" or bigger, still had 44 between 2 of us, and saw 20 feet of fish on the sonar all day long.  Caught hundreds of perch, 7-9 inches, and one musky grabbed a #11 jig with a small minnow, got a good look at him through the hole - 40 - 45 inches, I'd guess.  He broke the hook shaft. 

sonar shot below, was like that all day  The solid orange are fish stacked on each other.  Never went more than a minute without a bite and hook up.  Not as many on the bottom, we'd jig a minnow at ~ 25 feet and caught consistently.  With each catch, a dozen or more perch would follow it right to the hole.

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1646 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:05 PM »
a very slow day at Long Point today...lots of marks, but very picky..minnows took the bigger perch..also one 12" calico

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1647 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Stickbow, spoken like a true sportsman.....NOT!!!! Chautauqua has historically been a MUSKIE lake, with an active stocking and rearing lake with a hatchery that supplies stocked muskies for many bodies of water throughout NY, PA,and OH. Your statement is ignorant and is indicative of the type of person you really are. Chautauqua as a whole as been flourishing as a fishery for the last several years,for ALL species. So you and your ignorant post hold no weight.

Muskies....all other fish are just bait!!!
I'm glad you like em, follow me, you can take all my dead ones. I'll take all your walleyes and bass. Deal? 
C'mon, share some info. I do.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1648 on: Mar 22, 2015, 09:02 PM »
trebblehook
  I think I was in front of you today in the camo blind. I heard you talking to a guy when you were leaving. You said you had 25 and it was slow. Hard to believe I was getting them all day. Never left that spot all day. limited out and threw back just as many. I told the guy you were talking to when you were leaving to come over and fish my holes. Best day for me this year. Probably my last. Ice was getting thin around the boat launch at Long Point.

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1649 on: Mar 23, 2015, 04:33 AM »
I was in the green bibs, and was with the guy in the white hut...I had fish on the screen everywhere I went, and caught around 45 fish. Did some wandering around looking for "the spot"! I'm sure if I would have stayed in my original holes, I would have gotten a few more keepers, but I wasn't really into cleaning perch when I got home any way!  Gave them to my buddy. he had 25, I had 14. Lots of 7.5 inchers were thrown back. Just kept the 8.5 and up, with one 11 incher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.