New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413952 times)

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1230 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Anyone know shore ice conditions at Mayville. Thanks

Offline green hornet09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1231 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Was at Mayville last night. Shore ice was OK. Lil soft spots but nothing major.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1232 on: Mar 26, 2014, 03:33 PM »
A simple philosophy to follow is to treat your fishing grounds like it's your front yard. An example - I fished Burtis Bay with Skip from Hogan's Hut yesterday.  The lid blew off his waxies and he chased it down to retrieve it.  My hat is off to guys who police up areas where others trash.

Maybe not-I've seen some pretty messed up front yards.  But I get your point-unfortunately there are those that just don't care..

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1233 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:02 PM »
We would like to get one last day in sat or sun.  I was just looking at the radar and it looks like u guys are getting a pretty good shot of rain. Any ice reports will be appreciated we are 2/1/2 hours away.       Thanks

Offline hunterdeneugene

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1234 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Has anyone heard from Doctari lately?

Offline theperchdraggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1235 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:04 AM »
 my auger blades r done. can anybody recommend good place to get em sharpened? many thx!!!

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1236 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:47 AM »
my auger blades r done. can anybody recommend good place to get em sharpened? many thx!!!
   "Dull Blades Suck"
                Scotia, New York
They have a web site.  Check it out.  They did two sets of laser blades for me, Better than new.  Price is right.

Offline Tuna716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1237 on: Mar 31, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Ice condition 3/31/2014 9:00am (midway state park) , near shore very thin! Had to find an area with more snow build up to walk on.  Main ice thickness is 12+ inches, dragging was a breeze since the warmth have packed the snow down.  Perch bite was kind of slow due to the water clarity condition.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1238 on: Apr 01, 2014, 01:04 AM »
   "Dull Blades Suck"
                Scotia, New York
They have a web site.  Check it out.  They did two sets of laser blades for me, Better than new.  Price is right.
http://www.iceaugersharpening.com/

I found it, for any one having difficulties looking for it
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1239 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:07 AM »
This is definitely going to be the last few days on the ice.  Last night was probably my last trip and it ended pretty well.  Ended up with only 8 crappie, missed a bunch of light biters and had to toss back a lot of shorts.  Prior to dark, I was pulling in gills on every drop with a jighead and a waxworm, some had some nice size to them.  All in all, it was a great ice season with its ups and downs for me.  Thank you to everyone for the posts and reports.  You guys on here are always very helpful and I hope I have been helpful for others as well.  Anyone that is still venturing out this week, good luck and please use caution!   See you on the open water! 
-Chris

Online Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1240 on: Apr 01, 2014, 10:32 AM »
This is definitely going to be the last few days on the ice.  Last night was probably my last trip and it ended pretty well.  Ended up with only 8 crappie, missed a bunch of light biters and had to toss back a lot of shorts.  Prior to dark, I was pulling in gills on every drop with a jighead and a waxworm, some had some nice size to them.  All in all, it was a great ice season with its ups and downs for me.  Thank you to everyone for the posts and reports.  You guys on here are always very helpful and I hope I have been helpful for others as well.  Anyone that is still venturing out this week, good luck and please use caution!   See you on the open water!
It was nice meeting you yesterday. Weather was perfect and the bite was consistant enough to stay out there all night. Unfortunately I had an 1 1/2 hr drive home.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1241 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Same to you! Yeah it was a beautiful night out there.  The bite shut off at 930 or so for us, so we took off.
-Chris

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1242 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:55 AM »
http://www.iceaugersharpening.com/

I found it, for any one having difficulties looking for it
just type in    Dull blades suck,  hit search, you'll be taken right to the site.

Offline icenut_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1243 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:30 AM »
do you think the perch this year will be mostly dinks?would be my guess. if we ever get on the ice.i think it will be mid to late jan.before we get enough ice. :tipup:

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1244 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:40 PM »
My guess is the weekend after x-mas for Burtis and weekend after new years for rest of the lake. As for perch it's a guessing game where the decent perch are but enough searching will pay off.

Offline icenut_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1245 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:00 PM »
I sure hope your right on the ice prediction.

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1246 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I always hit Chautauqua 4 perch or the bluegill sunfish.this year I think I'd like to concentrate my efforts on hooking into some nice crappie! Kind of tired of the dank bite although last year I took my brother in law out of Mayville for his first-ever ice fishing expedition and we hooked into some serious perch all of pretty quality size

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1247 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:42 PM »
I just checked the webcam at Burtis. Is that ice starting to form?
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline jeffmac85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1248 on: Dec 12, 2014, 02:28 PM »
It certainly looks like it to me!!!   Still a little open water but it's great news for sure

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1249 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:31 AM »
bump
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1250 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Is anyone fishing the open water and how's it going?

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1251 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:35 PM »
When me and my Dad went out there to fish it last weekend there was no open water, 1/4" of ice across the whole lake. Is the open water back? Prior to freezing over my Dad said he was catching lots of perch off long-point, If its fishable from shore again we'll try heading out there again this weekend.

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1252 on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:18 PM »
  hey C-ster nice to hear that your dad was catchin some perch down at long point . just wonderin if there was any size to them this year ?  like making the trips to Chautauqua but havnt  the past two years cause of the lack of size . maybe things have changed ?   

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1253 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Went back to longpoint today with my dad, open water was back. We each got some perch, the bight wasn't too hot though. Good news is the few perch we did catch were decent size. My dad said the perch have been on average bigger this year. Hopefully Chautauqua lakes's perch population might finally be consistently keeper size this year. Today just made me even more impatient for ice season.

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1254 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:21 AM »
       Seen some post on this subject last year , After hand drilling thru 3 ft. of ice on Erie last year  guys were adapting there augers with cordless drills ,  Well decided great idea  so made up adapter at work  just need the drill ? any one know what  drills  have the power to  cut thru this amount of ice ? Hoping we seeErie this year ?

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #1255 on: Dec 28, 2014, 11:53 AM »
       Seen some post on this subject last year , After hand drilling thru 3 ft. of ice on Erie last year  guys were adapting there augers with cordless drills ,  Well decided great idea  so made up adapter at work  just need the drill ? any one know what  drills  have the power to  cut thru this amount of ice ? Hoping we seeErie this year ?
lots of good info on this thread link  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=273421.msg2816848#msg2816848

how much do you want to spend? best drills as I can tell at this time for use with a auger---Milwaukee 18V fuel cell hammer drill,  725 in. lbs of torque.  kit comes with 2      4.0Ah batteries and charger $299.00, Milwaukee just came out with an optional 5.0 Ah battery $129.00.   or piece it together and get the drill motor, charger and one 5.0Ah battery and save some money. this drill is brushless.
      Or the Makita 18V hammer drill brushless 1090 in. lbs 4.0 Ah batteries. No 5.0Ah battery at this time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-Fuel-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-XC-Battery-Kit-2604-22/203205419?N=5yc1vZc8wtZygZzvZ12l6

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-XC-5-Ah-Extended-Capacity-Battery-48-11-1850/205620421?keyword=Milwaukee+5.0+Ah+battery

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Driver-Drill-Kit-XPH07M/205492043?N=5yc1vZc8wtZygZ12l6

Offline DNinALLEGANY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1256 on: Dec 29, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Went to Long Point yesterday.  No ice.  If you're in the right spots you can fill your bucket with yellow perch. Almost all in the 7" - 9" range.  A few bigger and the occassional runt.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1257 on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:07 PM »
just curious , we're you out in a boat or on the wall at long point ?

Offline DNinALLEGANY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1258 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:07 AM »
From shore on the wall.  And for the personal messages I received I'm not set up to reply yet but the only thing biting were perch.  There were a couple big splashes next to shore.  Don't know if it was just a dying fish or something grabbing a throw back.

Offline perchhunter66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just keep jigging
« Reply #1259 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Either way look out because Sunday I'll b pressing my luck an I guess I'll b bringing long poles!!
It's not what you do but how you do it!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.