New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 414042 times)

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1080 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Seen some guys on the Burtis bay camera,any reports please?

FN

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1081 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Heading to Mayville sat am to take my brother inlaw icein for the first time.was there a couple weeks ago and got all dinks!(went in by park with tennis courts).really don't want a repeat if im gonna get him hooked.any suggestions would b awsome.how deep,how far out,where to pull out from,etc.i am not really familiar with the area as i normally hit prendergast or the belltower.(he wants to go there to meet up with family for ice festival)thanks to my fellow shantyites in advance for the help!! Tight lines  ;D

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1082 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:34 AM »
It's still been mostly dinks anywhere I have gone in Mayville lately, but there are occaisional gills with some size.  Just gotta catch about 20 before you get one keeper.  Still fun though, especially for a novice.  I think catching those will be fun for him rather than catching nothing.  Have fun!
-Chris

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1083 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:29 AM »
It's still been mostly dinks anywhere I have gone in Mayville lately, but there are occaisional gills with some size.  Just gotta catch about 20 before you get one keeper.  Still fun though, especially for a novice.  I think catching those will be fun for him rather than catching nothing.  Have fun!
thanks .maybe he'll get into it, he's from there. they live in Lakewood.I have lots of family down that way and some of them just don't think ice fishing is very fun. they think I'm crazy for traveling two hours down that way just a fish all day and not visiting them lol

Offline Fishlip off the hook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1084 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Was there Tuesday and it was dinkville. The drag was just that a DRAG!!! Fun day though caught a ton of fish. Good luck to all this weekend. Heading to Honeoye tomorrow. Cant wait

Offline paleofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1085 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:27 AM »
I'd love to get some feedback on the walleye fishing this year. 

I'll summarize my year so far, and give you all my theory... for whatever it's worth..Whenever.

I'm out There 4-5 evenings a week since we've had ice, around Jan 1st?  I was out there on 2 inches or less spudding my way out...

I have been all over the upper end of the lake, from long point, to point Chautauqua, and everywhere in between (Victorias, preferfast , warner bar, Bell tower)  been venturing out on the ATV to areas where we have had success jigging and trolling deep water in the fall too.  Depth ranges from being on weed edges (13fow), to edges of deep holes 40fow or more)

Anywhere we drill a hole...perch, and more perch, and so many perch it's hard to see our lures on the flasher!  Swarms of them.... every depth, 4-5 inch little dinks that just about drive you insane.  That last hour of daylight or so, the perch activity seems to slow as walleye become more "active".  They just will not hit!! We mark them, good size walleye, ( those who use flashers I'm sure can tell the difference marking a 5 inch perch vs.  a 22 inch walleye...)  they come right up to the lure, and go back down. Come up, back down, then gone.  I've thrown ever lure and bait at them you could imagine, same thing.  They just don't appear to be aggressive. 

So my theory.... there is just SO much bait fish down there, do the walleye really have to go around searching for food?  Couldn't they pick off a meal wherever  and whenever they want?  When they come up to check out our lures, why would they hit a questionable piece of lead when they know the sure thing is available anytime. 

I remember the days, as I'm sure many others of you do, the limit of walleye was 5 fish and 15 inches, and there were very few times we'd come off the ice without a few keepers.  And also I don't remember the constant perch!! Now it seems a great day is being able to bring one keeper home.

Ok, so maybe I've just lost my touch, but I grew up on this lake and have fished it my whole 29 years of life, and the last few years of hard water walleyes have been frustrating to say the least....

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1086 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:55 AM »
 I agree you can definatly tell the difference on the flasher they come up but will not hit. Very frustrating. I try the biggest jigs I have to keep the dinks off but that doesnt work either. I swear I have caught perch smaller than the lure I use.

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1087 on: Feb 15, 2014, 03:14 PM »
I'm renting a house
 on Hartfield bay....was wondering if anyone has caught crappies out in front of the canal....any advice would be helpful

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1088 on: Feb 15, 2014, 03:47 PM »
How bad is the slush under the snow? I have a hole in mypac boots found the hard way so if its slushy ill wear my rubbers

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1089 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Not much for slush but def plenty of snow to make the drag suck

Offline Dereko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1090 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:13 PM »
How much ice is out there now

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1091 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:15 PM »
to much ice!!!!!!!  over a foot...

Offline Dereko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1092 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Ok thanks

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1093 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:54 PM »
fished out of prendergast in 30 fow 14" ice measured almost all clear . snow wasnt too bad hardly any slush. I brought home 14 perch all about 8" threw back a bunch. quite a few guys out there.

Offline WINTERKILLER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1094 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:01 PM »
fished out of ms, 48 ft , .3 of a mile out,  plenty of ice & snow no slush. non stop action @1-5, limited out of 8-11 inchers mosty 8-9. drag was much better this week with my new smitty sled, dont think id of made it without it.
silver pimple w/eye

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1095 on: Feb 16, 2014, 08:36 AM »
I've been out 20-30 times in the evening for walleye and it really is  frustrating when they don't hit. Try jigging with a buckshot or rattling flyer and have a dead stick or tip up close by with a medium shinner. All my fish have come on the dead stick this year.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #1096 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:06 PM »
to much ice!!!!!!!  over a foot...
No such thing... get a power auger :) lol

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1097 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Got a couple big 11inch white bass or white perch or silver bass whatever the heck they are I kept the are they any good eating?   How big do they get

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1098 on: Feb 16, 2014, 05:28 PM »
similar in length to yellow perch they will get to 16" or so, I think .They are good eating have to eat them fresh though they dont freeze well.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1099 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:15 AM »
They do not come up to your lure, they come from the outside of your flasher cone and appear to come up but they are just getting closer to the center of the cone.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline pikeHunter10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1100 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Fished out of long point yesterday for the last few evening hours, kept about a dozen perch, threw back about as many, and iced two rock bass. Little slushy in some spots but nothing horrible. Ice was at least 12", best I've seen in a while. Not bad for only fishing for about 2 1/2 hours.

Offline ngernatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1101 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Does anyone know where there's parking to get to Dewittville bay

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1102 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Does anyone know where there's parking to get to Dewittville bay

Meadows Road. 

Anyone fish Mayville at night over the weekend? How did you do?  I am looking to go tonight, but if it has still been slow I am not going to waste my time.
-Chris

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1103 on: Feb 17, 2014, 02:45 PM »
There was a big group to the north this am. Anyone on here in that group ?

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1104 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Meadows Road. 

Anyone fish Mayville at night over the weekend? How did you do?  I am looking to go tonight, but if it has still been slow I am not going to waste my time.
fished mayville during the day today and was a lot slower than it has been and not one crappie

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #1105 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:59 PM »
fished mayville during the day today and was a lot slower than it has been and not one crappie
I was there too, bite was super slow.. had my boy and brother in law with me, there was a group fairly close to us with a bunch of kids, using tip downs, they were catching fish, but didnt appear to be getting alot... i think we may have caught 30 fish between the 4 of us... shouldve stayed where we were in the a.m.!!!

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1106 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Got about 15 white perch on Erie Saturday 1 14 inch tank that was like 5 inches from belly to back fried Em up today along with about 8 nice yellows taste is about the same maybe a little gamey just eat fresh don't freeze

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1107 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I was there too, bite was super slow.. had my boy and brother in law with me, there was a group fairly close to us with a bunch of kids, using tip downs, they were catching fish, but didnt appear to be getting alot... i think we may have caught 30 fish between the 4 of us... shouldve stayed where we were in the a.m.!!!
ya they came and set up next to us..it slowed down shortly after that but was good to see that all the kids did catch some and they def seemed to be having fun...I walked out about 100yds and started catching them again

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1108 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Yes I was there also I hope they didn't bother you'll they were boy scout on there first time out and yes they had a great time.

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1109 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:13 AM »
I figured it had to be something like that..and no they didn't bother us..suprised u didn't hear my dad and I laughing in our hut about how good a time the boys were having..we def have no problems seeing a group o youngsters gettin into any outdoor activity..especially fishin or huntin..like I was saying, once it seemed to slow down I just ventured out about 100yds and started catching again..don't ever feel bad about getting anyone out there for their first time..if anyone gets bothered they can move..love to see anyone gettin into fishin..keep up the good work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.