New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413285 times)

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #540 on: Mar 06, 2013, 03:46 PM »
For sure
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #541 on: Mar 06, 2013, 05:01 PM »
Been doing my part, fingers all cut up from filleting the little *****s . Took a break from the chatauqua dink factory and hit some smaller waters and came home with a fish fry or two and didn't need a 55 gallon drum full to make the meals. Gonna try and hit the eyes while the ice is still there and at it's best conditions this weekend. It really shouldn't be hard to find where they are hitting, predictable areas  this time of year, and there is usually a shanty city set up. Good luck. Been hearing lots of people hooking up with musky, I have a question about that, if I tie into a big one can I take a quick pic? or do I have to release without removing it from the water?   I have absolutely no interest in taking any home just wondering if it is legal to gently remove it and take a pic?

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #542 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I have been calling the DEC office on questions, they have been very friendly and can give the right info too...
Like the 1 or 3 points on Mepps or spinners in Lake Erie tribs
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline beemer0032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #543 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:54 PM »
What will you catch next year if you kill all the small perch? I think most perch aren't born 9" or bigger. Pretty much common sense.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #544 on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:50 AM »
I thought maybe it was overfishing, but now I think over population. With my aqua vue I saw at least a dozen perch on my lure every time I dropped it down. The north side of the lake has 13 inches of ice between maple springs, and mission meadows. I was not expecting that.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #545 on: Mar 07, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Anyone have any info on Belltower area,haven't seen any reports in that area ,anyone fishing there?

Offline icefishingfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #546 on: Mar 07, 2013, 03:22 PM »
need info on the miller bell tower waters ASAP , thanks !

Offline ice junkies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you wana catch more fish, go more often
« Reply #547 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:35 PM »
The days i have fished the north end this year i have only seen a handfull of people, or nobody out at the bell tower.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #548 on: Mar 07, 2013, 05:11 PM »
On saturday last week there was a shanty town set up off the bell tower I cannot give a fishing report as I have not launched there this year, but everywhere I have been has had between 8-14" lots of it white ice, but still pretty solid. You will be fine there this weekend after the 60 degrees they are predicting sunday watch the shoreline until it gets cold again monday night-tuesday. Beemer the numbers are ridiculous if there are 1000 5-7" for every good one out there, which size  group gets the food? Constant competition for the resources and the numbers are winning over quality.
I am not a biologist by any stretch, but there seem to be far too many perch in this lake.

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #549 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Southtown walleye org shld donate to hachery to stock more walleye ;D. I pay my yearly dues. Might have to go to a meeting and bring it up. More predators needed. Wish it was a better fishery. I drive to oneida every weekend for walters n lale erie jumbos.

Everytime I see someone say they caught a 12 in perch outa chaut I have to laugh. Out of the 1000s me n friends caight ive never seen a perch that big or close to it

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #550 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I have seen a few at or above 12" and they look like monsters on that lake. I have caught thousands easily and my biggest out there is still 11 1/2 , but I have seen others with some true jumbos...very few and far between though

Offline seanile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #551 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I caught a 12 1/2 "perch last weekend at Chautauqua.I've been fishing their for over 10years and this is the largest that I've see in that lake.I took a picture of it with a yardstick next to it with my cell phone.I'm not good at posting pictures but I can email it if someone would like to see it.

Offline beemer0032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #552 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:56 PM »
I hear ya but those small perch are feeding the big walleyes u guys are starting to pull out of there. Also next year and the year after those perch will much bigger. Its all a cycle.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #553 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:18 PM »
. Also next year and the year after those perch will much bigger. Its all a cycle.

Yeah, that's what I used to say ,but it never rings true.
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #554 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:26 PM »
my largest perch came from Bemus 2 yrs ago. Wardens were out on the ice that day, and they used their ruler to measure it at 13.25 inches. I'm sure it was just a freak catch, because I have never heard of anybody getting more than 1 or 2 of these at a time. it is now on my wall, and it looks nice!

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #555 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:21 AM »
There were people fishing out of bell tower on wednesday not sure of ice thickness that side though. After years of perch fishing chautuauqua I don`t think I have even got an 11" fish. I think there needs to be more predator fish. The lake definitely regressed this year. I catch bigger perch out of my pond. I`m sure some people catch the occasional big one, but there should be a lot more.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #556 on: Mar 08, 2013, 04:52 AM »
I hear ya but those small perch are feeding the big walleyes u guys are starting to pull out of there. Also next year and the year after those perch will much bigger. Its all a cycle.
IMO, a healthy lake would have a balance of small, medium and large sized Perch. Chautauqua is way out of balance. I was at the sportsman show yesterday and wanted to to with the fish biologist, he was right next to the DEC officer, but I didn't get the chance to do so. I'm sure there will be lots of Chautauqua fisherman at the show this weekend, maybe someone could stop and talk with him.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #557 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Yea, problem with this lake is the eye population is horrible. Use to be easy to find these critters... can find them now, it just takes ALOT more effort with little results in comparison to other lakes in the area.

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #558 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Oh my, you fellas are not going to believe this.

how very intuitive of you.

I will gladly be outfished by those that are swayed by the brilliance of maurice and monique. though I am very curious- what is a "concrete form stripper"? ???

ice fishing;  I'm cold just thinking about it! lol

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #559 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:41 AM »
i believe it as much as i believe the story about jumbos..  maybe one here and one there but ne1 who says they consistently catch "jumbos" on chautauqua has never seen a true jumbo or is telling fish stories.

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #560 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Oh my, you fellas are not going to believe this. This very subject of these big perch came up just yesterday while fishing with my charming friend Maurice, on the southerly most lower west quadrant of the lake, in what seemed to be a wallowing channel just below us. We spoke in depth of this very subject. Maurice always seems to have the most logical graphic approach to describing his vigilant manner in which he pursues his perch fishing. Often he will speak candidly of the large perch, as if they actually had an impact, in direct conjunction with the walleye population, and the respective size, or even the density of the fishes flesh, which will increase it's weight per inch ratio. His vast knowledge, precipitates an unknown, yet influencing phenomenon, that bears relevance to the various duty points of the lake. Meaning the where's, whys, and how comes are most likely best left to the higher powers, and to focus more on the things in life, and fishing techniques we have the ability to manage ourselves. That Maurice always shares the best kept secrets, and I've been listening to him for years. He's learned most of this from his "Sister" Monique, a concrete form stripper of all things, about the science, and math of picking apart a known given, and modifying it to have the least direct impact, in conjunction with all the various variables that might, and can modify a balancing biological system such as the Chautauqua Lake Eco system. He said, she said, that on any given day, a diligent fisherman should be prepared for the worst case scenario, and then to hope for the best. Hence, for this weeks fishing outing, he says. "Go to Walgreen's before this weekend, and buy the three pack of Banana Raspberry Chapstick", because they are having a wonderful sale as we speak. Believe it or not, it's 10 cents off right now. That's right fellas, that's a 10 cent savings. Then he says, to take this Chapstick, and to rub it all over a number 12 Gamagutzu style stainless steel treble hook, using it sparingly on the tips of course, and your minds will be blown by this product, and it's powerful unknown secret ingredient that interacts with the stainless steel, (almost like the WD40 theory of fishing), and as it culminates with this select Gama steel, it resonates almost as a tuning fork of sorts, to attract "only" the biggest fish. I personally have not tried this shared phenomenon myself, but if Monique shared this with her brother Maurice, my friend, it has to be true.   I just wanted to take this moment to "Let The Cat Out Of The Bag" per say, and unravel some of the secrets to catching those bigger perch in this lake.
When does the second edition come out!  Sounds like a best seller!  Very entertaining!

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #561 on: Mar 08, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Oh my, you fellas are not going to believe this. This very subject of these big perch came up just yesterday while fishing with my charming friend Maurice, on the southerly most lower west quadrant of the lake, in what seemed to be a wallowing channel just below us. We spoke in depth of this very subject. Maurice always seems to have the most logical graphic approach to describing his vigilant manner in which he pursues his perch fishing. Often he will speak candidly of the large perch, as if they actually had an impact, in direct conjunction with the walleye population, and the respective size, or even the density of the fishes flesh, which will increase it's weight per inch ratio. His vast knowledge, precipitates an unknown, yet influencing phenomenon, that bears relevance to the various duty points of the lake. Meaning the where's, whys, and how comes are most likely best left to the higher powers, and to focus more on the things in life, and fishing techniques we have the ability to manage ourselves. That Maurice always shares the best kept secrets, and I've been listening to him for years. He's learned most of this from his "Sister" Monique, a concrete form stripper of all things, about the science, and math of picking apart a known given, and modifying it to have the least direct impact, in conjunction with all the various variables that might, and can modify a balancing biological system such as the Chautauqua Lake Eco system. He said, she said, that on any given day, a diligent fisherman should be prepared for the worst case scenario, and then to hope for the best. Hence, for this weeks fishing outing, he says. "Go to Walgreen's before this weekend, and buy the three pack of Banana Raspberry Chapstick", because they are having a wonderful sale as we speak. Believe it or not, it's 10 cents off right now. That's right fellas, that's a 10 cent savings. Then he says, to take this Chapstick, and to rub it all over a number 12 Gamagutzu style stainless steel treble hook, using it sparingly on the tips of course, and your minds will be blown by this product, and it's powerful unknown secret ingredient that interacts with the stainless steel, (almost like the WD40 theory of fishing), and as it culminates with this select Gama steel, it resonates almost as a tuning fork of sorts, to attract "only" the biggest fish. I personally have not tried this shared phenomenon myself, but if Monique shared this with her brother Maurice, my friend, it has to be true.   I just wanted to take this moment to "Let The Cat Out Of The Bag" per say, and unravel some of the secrets to catching those bigger perch in this lake.

Holy Post!!!!! What was that????? BROKE BACK FISHING TEAM????
Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Member N.E.W.C  Northeastern Walleye Circuit
Member of NAIFC "North American Ice Fishing Circuit" 2002 Pro-AM Qualifier                      
Member of W.I.F.L.  Wisconsin Ice Fishing League
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #562 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:15 PM »
i've been reading some of these comments about the lack of perch size in the lake. only once did i do really good with sizes and that was 2 and a half years ago pre-ice in month of november. caught my limit of 9-11" in 2 hours on my little 12foot dingy boat 200 yards off shore. i was shocked and happy. didnt have a 12" in the batch but closest i had was 11.5". Any other time i was there, i get tons of 7-8" all day but never really did push in size. that being said, i really have a hard time believing consistant catches of 12"+ perch. It needs more walleye's. that's the bottom line IMO. If you're catching dinks ALL DAY, then i believe its overpopulated.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #563 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:31 PM »
The evening, prior to today, had some remarkable happenings. My good close friend Silvio amongst others were out last evening for the miraculous walleye. We came across a good school and put a solid beating on 9 of them. It was a pleasure chatting and laughing out on the lake with space32, walleyehanger, eeriedeerie, jackie bushman and the conklin brothers.
We decided to play a game. Kind of like, toss the credit card in and whoever gets picked, picks up the bill. Thus, my good close friends always choose the most extravagant establishments because the odds are better but that's neither here nor there.
The game consisted of a bottle of cherry brandy, a baseball bat and close to 30 tip ups. Whenever a flag would hit, a shot of brandy was poured, a quick 30 second spin around the bat with forehead attached and off you went to the tip-up.
Oh the comical evening we had together. My dear friend spaco32 took a horrific tumble on to an auger and split his chin open, ronny conklin ran so far past his flag that we had to utilize gps to get him back, Hanger fell face first into his Rhino side by side and had one nasty shiner, and I chose just to sit back and sip the finest brandy while being entertained by my good friends. Silvio does not fish, but was there purely for the "man" aspect of the evening.
The memories we made last night and the entire season will live on forever. The 9 walleyes we did catch, we let go. It was the only ethical thing to do since none of us could, or would, be able to masterfully handle a filet knife with confidence.

On a side note - bbq out there this weekend. More food than we know what to do with. Come one, come all.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #564 on: Mar 08, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Holy Post!!!!! What was that????? BROKE BACK FISHING TEAM????
.  Sounds like broke back every evening on Chautauqua.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #565 on: Mar 08, 2013, 03:39 PM »
where hijinks I will bring beer I am down for the BBQ? I got venison I could bring if need be? Im not sure how to take your posts , but  if you are fooling then I will just have to do my normal fishing thing no big deal, if you are being serious I bet you guys are a fun crew to fish with. I am personally hitting my local honey hole for crappies tonight with my boy. Good luck

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #566 on: Mar 08, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Got a crew going tomorrow. 20 plus guys. Bringing a beer pong table and propane smoker. Be out there from 6am till ? See you out there.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #567 on: Mar 08, 2013, 05:36 PM »
BsR n full of it. Dudes a joke

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #568 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:11 PM »
BsR maybe, but I enjoy the posts honestly. I have been around here for  a while and I get as tired of the same old lazy people not willing to do the leg work and are hoping to be put on a spot to catch fish without doing the work some of these guys have done over the years. This is not an attack on anyone at all, and I have no issue with asking a question here and there, but sometimes people expect to be given GPS coordinates and just sit down and catch fish. I have to work in the morning so good luck to anyone who makes it out, I am thinking the afternoon...anyone have GPS numbers for 6 lb+ walleye? I dont want to have to walk too far so I only want the best spots ::)

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #569 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Southtown walleye org shld donate to hachery to stock more walleye ;D. I pay my yearly dues. Might have to go to a meeting and bring it up. More predators needed. Wish it was a better fishery. I drive to oneida every weekend for walters n lale erie jumbos.

Everytime I see someone say they caught a 12 in perch outa chaut I have to laugh. Out of the 1000s me n friends caight ive never seen a perch that big or close to it

You have never been to a meeting, comon nah.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.