New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 416245 times)

Offline bufficeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • leave no trace
Re: Chautaqua Lake
« Reply #420 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:41 AM »
2 more posts and you can access reports and conditions board and then you can post this there. Just reply to this twice and you're good to go. Thanks for the report and word of caution, yeah the ice sure has been busy making more ice the past cpl days

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #421 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 AM »
    ??? ??? >:( >:( >:( ???to the weekend warrior fisherman in the black f250 with the silver rack that was parked in the far lot at.prendergast this morning  i have the garbage that you dropped  out b4 u left       had to b u only other truck besides ours parked there  its the little.things like that cause real sportsman to lose more and more access each season  thumbs down for that kind of behavior :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline brian318

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over Ill fish there too
« Reply #422 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Going out tommorrow AM to Long Point, going to see how everything is off the ramp straight out. Thursday may either go There (Long Point) or Midway super early and ride the bucket before setting up the ice cube (Gonna Jig for old Walleye) . To be honest Ive never caught a walleye before (Actually iced a Steelhead once, not here obviously)on Chautauqua. Two questions- one how are they about parking down at Midway (down by the water /lower area), and two for walleye where do you get the best hits on the walleye in the deep holes or closer to shore where the small feeder fish can get wedged between the land and the ice? I was gonna jig with a Jigging rap, a swedish pimple or a rattlespoon, tipped with a shiner head. Ive seen fellas sittin on the buckets with a lantern , I assume going for walleye. Ive done well here on perch, gills , crappies, but never caught that illustrious marble eye. hate to sound like such a novice, Ive got good gear, have fished the Big E for Slobs, but just havent gotten the W on the Big C. Any comments would be soley appreciated, I have gotten quite a education from so many of you, and I am very thankful for it. have a nice day- Brian

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #423 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Brian be willing to change up the lure/bait combo, I usually have a couple goto lures for eyes but this morning I had to go outside the box and caught a healthy one at 21" I have had no issues since midway became a state park parking is not too bad.

Offline btabz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chautaqua Lake
« Reply #424 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice...Just havin fun fishin but would like to be able to help others too....Gonna post twice so I can share my news...
Jiggin' Chick :)

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #425 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:16 PM »
 fished midway vikings was only able to get dinks small perch between 5 and 7 inch ice was like 7 inches white then  finished the day at mayville same story small perch  there was other guys getting some bluegills and lots of small perch too  ice was about 4 or 5 inches of good ice  lake is making some serious ice loud noises  on the ice

Offline burtbomberz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:34 AM »
Went out of bell tower yesterday...what everybody else is saying...dinks...but lots of them.  Ice seemed pretty good out to.fifty feet..    staying at webbs resort and was hopin to fish all day while wife and.kids hung at pool at webbs but water is disgusting and cold so I'm gonna entertain wife and kids during day and get out tonight around 5 and fish till whenever. Was gonna go out of mayville for crappie. Appreciate any advice or tips. Anyone lookin to go nitefishing send me a message.    Thanks

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #427 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:39 AM »
We have stayed at Webbs man many times and not once did we find the pool dirty.Did you let someone know about the problem? Mary Ann is a very nice person and I am sure if someone knew about it they would try and remedy the problem.Glad you had a great time otherwise.

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #428 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Whats the scoop?   Why we on lock down?      I heard a rumor that their bringing  back the 15 " limit on Walleye on the lake, but dropping it to (2) anyone else hear that?  We need to bump the perch quaota up to Unlimited,  maybe put a bounty on those 5 inchers. 
Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Member N.E.W.C  Northeastern Walleye Circuit
Member of NAIFC "North American Ice Fishing Circuit" 2002 Pro-AM Qualifier                      
Member of W.I.F.L.  Wisconsin Ice Fishing League
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #429 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Oh my goodness! What a weekend, especially Sunday. The wind was dynamic, and really made for some difficult times, but we pounded the snot out of the eyes that morning, and filled another bucket with larger perch. Finally got into the perch after some trial and error. Error being we were using too small of bait, trial meaning it took a few hours to get them honed in. I'm not sure how many more fish fries my friends and I can have. I swear Karl and Robert's ice armour suits are going to pop! LMAO! That evening we shared a few bottles of Wicked Wench Stout, battered the eyes in bluemoon/breadcrumbs and dipped them in some homemade horseradish and dill sauce. The night ended by the fireplace with Karl playing his 1967 stratocaster to Pink Floyd and we dozed off into a slumber. Had to work today.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline trouts

• IceShanty Rookie
  • crappibass crappibass where are you?
« Reply #430 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:51 PM »
At ms now was greeted with seeing a gentleman relieving himself 30 yards from the road facing the houses and folk walking their dogs. Dont think i want to play with the 4 inch perch will head to the deep water. Keep it up boys

Offline shantymaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Fished Mayville today on 4 inches of loud crackling ice.Caught around 20 dinks.It was great just getting out and fishing..

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #432 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Hi guys -

Looking at my 1st ice trip to Chautauqua on Wednesday.  Planning on Long Point as access seems pretty straight forward and ice reports good.  Is there a weedline at somepoint out from shore there and is there a way to get on near the bathhouse (if I decide to go to that side instead) or do you need to work your way out and around the point?  I understand from reading many past posts that the perch are running small in most cases, but would love to have a shot at a walleye and I'm sure my 8 year old son is more than willing to pick through the small perch just for fun.  Any tips appreciated.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline Brett63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #433 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:46 PM »
What is the lastest to stay out fishing?  Is it worth staying out past dark?

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #434 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:04 PM »
depends on what u want to catch crappies and eyes will somtimes bite at night

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #435 on: Feb 18, 2013, 04:29 PM »
What is the lastest to stay out fishing?  Is it worth staying out past dark?
Hour after dark  for eyes.  Bring a light and make sure you know your way in, be safe.
Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Member N.E.W.C  Northeastern Walleye Circuit
Member of NAIFC "North American Ice Fishing Circuit" 2002 Pro-AM Qualifier                      
Member of W.I.F.L.  Wisconsin Ice Fishing League
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline fishing in the hut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #436 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:35 PM »
My self and the wife were out a mayville today
iced over 40 perch between 8 - 4
kept 11-6" got home went to town with the knife added a little butter onion salt & pepper couldn't ask for a better taste to end the day
nothing left to do but wait till next weekend -planning to go out of long point
 one more thing " thank you Chautauqua lake" your awesome !

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #437 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:40 PM »
… fished the West Side today, 36’ – 42’ of water, major small perch issue again, never kept a one, caught an easy 100+ … ice is 5”, less than half black, smooth patchy crust, slick top, but stable (for now) –  partner nabbed an eye right off  (couldn’t get it to crack the line) … sunny high 20’s on the ice, +/- 10mph winds out of the south today.
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline brian318

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over Ill fish there too
« Reply #438 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Fished Off Prendagrast today, bite was so so there on wax worms, caught fish, just none worth keeping( sorry 4-5 inchers dont cut it) I was there till 130, was the only one left in the parking lot. Everyone else seemed pretty discouraged due to the small perch program. I think im heading back to Mayville Thursday AM for Gills, figure at least they are good size. ICE was making noise all day, only bad thing was a monster crack on the one side of the launch ramp, there was standing water all along the crack that headed across the Lake going towards Midway Park area. When I got back to the ramp there was about 4-5 inches of water and a shelf near the ramp entrance. I had best luck with mimic minnows with a treble, and buckshot rattle spoon, all baited chandalier style. Sometimes the bites were so light they just robbed the bait. Hopefully ice holds up and doesnt get to sloppy after tommorrow. was thinking about jiggin for eyes on thursday am at midway before going to mayville. what time do you guys tend to like better for the eyes, like 4-6am or like 6-8pm? Anyways have a nice day.

Offline dukman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #439 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:36 PM »
My self and the wife were out a mayville today
iced over 40 perch between 8 - 4
kept 11-6" got home went to town with the knife added a little butter onion salt & pepper couldn't ask for a better taste to end the day
nothing left to do but wait till next weekend -planning to go out of long point
 one more thing " thank you Chautauqua lake" your awesome !

It doesn't get any better than that.

Offline ejk

• IceShanty Rookie
how the ice chautauqua lake
« Reply #440 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:38 PM »
how the ice chautauqua lake ?

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #441 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Fished off MS/Midway today away from the pack and had a great day. The weather was nice, the bite was consistent, and I was able to sort out 25 or so 8"+ from the few hundred that bit. The ice was 8" where I was, with 4 of that being clear, white on top...although with the temps the last few days, the white is decently hard.  Walking out from MS, there was a pressure crack going acros the lake, which I crossed on my way out this morning, and it was about a 1 inch crack. The lake was really booming and popping today, a few times everything moved underneath.  On my way off the ice today, it was 2-4 feet wide and open water...

I was buzzed by a snowmobiler by about 50 yards who was doing 60mph...that guy sure had some guts to be out on the lake.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #442 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:27 PM »
 fished chatauqua lake again today mayville lots of small perch  was able to get a few 8 and one 10 and caught my first gill on a jig and wax worm ended up with 3 gills  fished by the same two guys they ended up with some nice big gills and two guys coming off the ice when i was getting on  did good on the big gills in the am  about 5 ices of ice and about 30 or so guys fishing today @at mayville good luck fishing &  catch some fish heard that there was about 100 guys at burtis today

Offline jigman 069

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Fished vikings sat pm & sun till 2:00pm dinks to many to count sat was great sun not so

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #444 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:56 PM »
fished vikings monday dink city   all small fish a few 7 maybe one or two 8

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #445 on: Feb 19, 2013, 01:47 AM »
Big Dynamite yes there is a road to the bathhouse side. Have not fished this year, but usually a good time with a lot of fish caught though small. Not sure there is any weedline. From reports the perch are getting smaller this year, and can`t really understand it. Over population, or over fishing???? Food for thought. Remember my friends getting some big perch on jigging rapala`s for walleye, when we were using small jigs with spikes for perch.

Offline Lightman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #446 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:29 AM »
I too wonder if the lake has been overfished, and we've culled out a lot of the big ones. Who knows..I'm not a marine biologist..but there are LOT of dinks!

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #447 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Thanks Dave -

Weather may encourage me to go somewhere to the east to avoid snow.  Will have to see what they are calling for.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #448 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:15 AM »
No snow as of yet. Lake is going to be slick. Bring your cleats.

Offline buffaloice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Well planning my trip down too Long Point on Friday afternoon to Saturday morning, unfortunately looks too be the only one to Chautauqua  this short season.  I will try to thin out the perch as best I can and hopefully a walleye or two. What I was going to try was a little nite time crappy fishing and was looking for any tips as to locations around LP for crappy. I usually fish off the peninsula, if I remember right the water is about 40 feet deep or so but I havent been down that way since the year before last so my memory might be fuzzy. This will be my first time trying for crappy on Chautauqua but a few years ago some old timers told me off the point was a good place to find crappy, is this still the case?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.