New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 417383 times)

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #330 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Do any of you local guys think we have a chance of fishing it this weekend ??? ( on ice that is )

Offline Magellan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Magellan took a Chance!!
« Reply #331 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:31 PM »
 :)Fished Maple Springs and Burtis over the weekend.  Maple provided a limit of 8-11 perch on Sunday in three hours.  Ice was very iffy.  2 inches with a later of slushy water and then another 2 inches below that.  The perch were in numbers with a mix of sizes.  Their guts were filled with smelt of all sizes.  Could only see 2 other fishermen in the distance off the point of Maple Springs.  Good evening bite in Burtis on the gills during the last 45 minutes of light on Saturday.  However, the bite was very very light and nearly nonexistent earlier in the day.  Ended up with 21 keepers.

Offline Magellan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #332 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:45 PM »
 >:( Might need chest waders to get to the "iffy" ice this weekend.  This weather makes me sick!

Offline Magellan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #333 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Hey floatafly.   Would you out to check the ice for me on Friday to see if I can get on Saturday??

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #334 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 PM »
  Sorry Megellan I have to work.

Offline widg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #335 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Whats the ice looking like?

Offline buffaolobunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #336 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Anyone have an update on mayville at all?

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #337 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Burtis was 100% open water yesterday. Today there is slush floating around, but no ice to be found. 

Offline steelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:59 PM »
should be water depth and wave height conditions !  :(
You Don't Know, If You Don't Go !!!!

Offline 1goldenhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #339 on: Feb 02, 2013, 03:46 PM »
new to ice shanty ! enjoy the site, bummin over no ice to drill

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline AJSCH123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #341 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:20 PM »
anyone else on here fishing the pro am at chautauqua?  i havent fished it to long and dont foresee there being enough ice by the 16th.  what do you think?

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #342 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Hope there is good ice by then...
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:52 PM »
I drove around most of the lake.  Didn't go out too far anywhere but all of it had SOME ice.  An inch or two of decent ice near shore on Burt, may, and LP.  Snow was not too bad on the south.  looked worst at LP for snow.  I realize it has been a scary couple of weeks.  I'm somewhere on that fine line between anxiously cautious and a big $#* hurry to get back out.  What a tease this winter has been!  I may go poke around somewhere in the next couple days.  I'll keep you posted (maybe).
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #344 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Definitely keep us posted on the ice situation down there! We need a solid 4" to go forward with the tournament - fingers crossed!! @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Magellan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #345 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:53 PM »
 >:(  Can't wait for the ice to come back on Chautauqua.  I fished Lime Lake and Cuba Lake on Saturday.  2-3 inches on Lime in some areas, but the key bluegill/perch areas were too thin and even some open water.  Cuba had  4 inches of black ice at the breast end and sketchy ice and open water on most of the lake.  Once again the key panfish spots were not safe.  I probably drilled 100 holes on the day, with very little to write home about.  Beats sitting at home. Both lakes had discolored water from last weeks rain and meltdown.  It's been a cold week, but we are getting later in the season.  Longer days... etc.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Offline richardnoodle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #346 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for the updates

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #347 on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:31 PM »
breaking out the aluminum boat!
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #348 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:10 PM »
The 10 day forecast is looking iffy.  It may just settle the snow down gradually.  I'm hopping with you Timmy.  I wouldn't expect more than 6" by next weekend. It may be tough for the pros and ams to get where they want to go off of mayville safely. Last winter was similar weather and Mayville had the worst ice on the lake.  I'm gona go check a spot on the north side tmrw night.  If it were up to me I would consider moving the starting location for the pro & am divisions to LP or PG.  See what I find tmrw.
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #349 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I'm getting tired of sitting in the garage inside the hut drinking beer and listening to hockey.  wait, nope, not tired of it yet, still would rather be on the ice.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #350 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Why is there reports of lots of guys on 4" of ice,another report of guys out for 3 days now,all on page1,someone has a bent tape measurer or reports are very unreliable on R&C board.I called Happy Hooker Sat. and Lisa said still open in N.central area and no one out.Hogans Hut said some guys came in for bait but doesn't have ice report.I find it very hard to fathom that guys are risking their lives for some stupid fish after the debacle before the last thaw.Be safe and use some common sense,thats something that seems to be lacking these days.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:38 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing, fishn-nik. i saw a post from today on another thread, "ice is good, 4". bring a rope". ummmm, ok. Oh well, guess people will tell us to "check it yourself"  :-\
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #352 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:04 AM »
A seasoned fisherman once said to me you wont know if you dont go  so i would have to say toughen up buttercup and give it a try
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #353 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Tough to judge whether they are foolish when your judging the safety of the ice from your living room and they are on it.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #354 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:32 AM »
2 weeks ago before the last thaw was good ice too and everyone was falling in,just wondering how there is good ice with 6" of snow,aren't we supposed to put accurate reports up,just saying very conflicting reports.

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:45 AM »
only way to tell is to go and see.  people on the another lakes thread were talking about  how 3 inches was lost from the warmup and not safe bla bla bla.  then i go there and its close to 10 inches 1.5 miles or more out, machines everywhere, and hundreds of huts.

Offline Meatball78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #356 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Hi guys. Wondering if I can get a little help here. I haven't fished Chautauqua in almost 20 years. I have to take my 4 wheeler in to Hectors for some recall work some time and was thinking about hitting Burtis for the day while I wait for it to get done. I have been holding off untill there is enough ice but the reports board seem odd with so many conflicting reports. I am looking for info on where I can get bait close, how is the access, what I should use for bait, and what can I expect such as depth, fish species and how the fishing generally is. I know I am new to this board and I don't want to tie up your thread so please feel free to PM me with the info.

Thanks,
Meatball

Offline freezerfiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #357 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:05 AM »
as bad as bait shops need to sell bait, they don't make a habit out of sending people out on bad ice.  If you call Hogan's Hut, they are pretty honest and if they say come on down there is safe ice somewhere and can usually point you in the right direction.  I have traveled there on some of these reports only to see people walking on 2 x 12s from the shore to the ice, open water, huts partially submerged where someone took a bath and left their stuff etc..  It sucks when the weather prevents solid ice, but the most accurate report is your own

Offline sidge69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #358 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Will call Hogans Hut today and let you know

Offline sidge69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #359 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:29 AM »
was told by Hogans Hut the police were telling people to get off the ice this morning

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.