New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 416954 times)

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1950 on: Mar 04, 2016, 02:23 PM »
Talked to Skip at the hut today said areas are fishable. Any one fish today? If someone fished at Bell Tower how was the bite?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1951 on: Mar 04, 2016, 04:29 PM »
To all the fishermen that will be going out and crossing bare lawns to get to the shore.  It would be a benefit to all of us if you and your partner would pick-up your hut instead of dragging marks across the lawns.  This would help us retain the launch sites for the future.

Offline trouts

• IceShanty Rookie
  • crappibass crappibass where are you?
« Reply #1952 on: Mar 04, 2016, 06:39 PM »
I'm shocked that the institute hasn't posted it up yet. They usually do when guys start falling in. May be closed tomorrow? The parking and trash are disgusting down there. So much private access lost in the last 10 yrs. If it's not public access or your own yard you might want to keep it to yourself.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1953 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:27 PM »
I'm shocked that the institute hasn't posted it up yet. They usually do when guys start falling in. May be closed tomorrow? The parking and trash are disgusting down there. So much private access lost in the last 10 yrs. If it's not public access or your own yard you might want to keep it to yourself.

You're right but it's ok.  In a perfect world every Lakawanian, Hamburgian, Tonowanian, Clevelander, AND Local would clean up after themselves. There are pigs and good people who fish the lake.  The state launches are the state's problem in terms of cleaning and maintaining.  People get paid to do it and from what I see they do a great job....Let's hear it for the pigs keeping dozens of people in the DEC working! 
The Chautauqua Institution/ The Bell Tower is private (gated) property.  In the summer past memorial day you can't drive in there unless you're a resident or have a pass.  During the season more than half the property owners leave and its not economical for them to staff the gate. If the cost to clean up the ice fishing "mess" exceeds what they can pay some kid to sit at the gate all day (about $9/hr) they will LOCK IT DOWN.
If you like fishing there I would consider making a trip down in the next month to do what you can to clean up. Same goes for any other place accessed on the lake...The state probably wouldn't mind some help either.
After you're done there may even be a good bite off the dock or in the canals....Unless the amish got ALL the crappie!
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1954 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Last time we where at the Bell Tower I took a half of bag of garbage with me I definitely didn't bring with me. Its a shame that a few pigs give everyone a bad name. It would definitely be a good idea for everyone to take a trip down and help clean up.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1955 on: Mar 05, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Who's moving over to MY FISH FINDER.COM. The soft water sight?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1956 on: Mar 05, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Last time we where at the Bell Tower I took a half of bag of garbage with me I definitely didn't bring with me. Its a shame that a few pigs give everyone a bad name. It would definitely be a good idea for everyone to take a trip down and help clean up.

Today I did not see any garbage on the ice or in the parking lot or along the drives at the Bell Tower.   Thanks guys for keeping this access clean.  One thing I do want to mention is you should not park on the beach.  They don't allow it in the Summer and I know they don't want you to park there in the Winter.  You run the risk of getting a ticket from the Institute police.  Please park respectfully.

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1957 on: Mar 06, 2016, 11:02 AM »
What's everyone's guess for first chance to be out in the boats? Gonna happen soon!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1958 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:50 PM »
What's everyone's guess for first chance to be out in the boats? Gonna happen soon!

Go to MFF, they may be talking soft water already.

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1959 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:03 AM »
The bay's might be open by the weekend. The main lake has 8" of solid ice still

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #1960 on: Mar 07, 2016, 02:05 PM »
I was off bell tower yesterday furthest ones outband only measured 3 1/2
ice fishing for life

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1961 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:09 PM »
With the rescue at the Bell Tower today, I am glad I called it quits on Sat.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1962 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Anyone starting to get excited with the long term forecast?

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1963 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Absolutely Jake. Had to make a new account Can't remember my other one haha. Can't wait to get on the ice. You're on fishing nerds right? I recognize your name. Anyways the long term forecast looks really good. Let's hope it holds up.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1964 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:39 PM »
I had to make a new account too lol, and yeah, I'm on the nerds page, just gotta hope this ice season is longer than the last.

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1965 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Can't really get much worse than last year. Hoping to be on Chautauqua maybe a week after new years? Hopefully sooner we will see.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1966 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:12 AM »
Anyone have any idea of the currant lake temp. Thanks.   Mark :tipup:

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1967 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I believe I jut saw it was 46 degrees still

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1968 on: Dec 11, 2016, 10:14 AM »
From the webcam it looks like Burtus locked up last night.  I may have to take a drive by on my way out to the deer stand.  The forecast looks great for makin ice!
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1969 on: Dec 11, 2016, 10:49 AM »
I saw that as well, if the weather stays like this we could have a long ice season.

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1970 on: Dec 11, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Depends on future snow fall as well. Good news is some small lakes near me are 90% locked up, with what appears to be just a few inches of snow on the ice. We got about 2.5-3ft in Amish country.

Offline BigEarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1971 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:12 AM »
Glad to see this pop up, i see it looks locked up on the cam(Burris) I'm hoping for new years weekend or that first week of 2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1972 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Anyone know how much open water is still on the lake?

Offline zebj25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1973 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I think most of it is still open water and the earliest I remember going on (pendergrast or mayville) for me was dec 27...but I could probably have gotten out sooner if that whole work thing didnt get in the way....

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1974 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Any local reports on how much ice or snow is on the ice. I'm hearing over 2 feet but Burris bay cam looks like there's some clean ice out there or open water/slush

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #1975 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:16 AM »
My buddy Joshua is going for a ride around the lake today and going to check the usual spots.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline SteelieWheelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1976 on: Dec 14, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Shouldn't be very long before we can walk out there.  Temps in the single digits the next couple days.  I have a feeling it's going to be a long season!

Offline RyanG716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1977 on: Dec 14, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Just remember it's supposed to snow 12-18" down there and forecasted temps towards the end of next week are climbing into the mid to high 30's with rain. But the forecast can change within a few days. Smaller lakes around Chautauqua only have 2" crap Ice at best. I still think we won't be on Chautauqua until after new years. But I'm hoping I'm wrong. Still can't complain too much. We were in the 60's this time last year! 

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1978 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:20 PM »
just wondering...if anybody has any info on the weeds at Burtis this summer. I know last year there were not many during ice season, and the fishing wasn't very good?  Any thoughts?

Offline wombatlips1966

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1979 on: Dec 17, 2016, 04:16 PM »
 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.