Author Topic: Is it good to float if you fall through?  (Read 4209 times)

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Is it good to float if you fall through?
« on: Sep 11, 2009, 08:08 PM »
At the risk of seeming like an idiot here I go.

I have been considering getting an Arctic Armor suit this year mainly due to its floatation abilities.  In looking at as many posts as I could about the Arctic Armor and watching all the videos of the peoiple jumping/falling in with the suit on, floating horizontally, and getting out easily I really thought the AA suit would be great insurance to back up the typical good safety steps.  However, I read one post that got me wondering.  It said that floating could be a danger because if you wind up under the ice away from the hole that you would be pinned against the ice by the floatation force and not be able to get out.  Any thoughts??

Also, would the Arctic Armour suit be better than just wearing a life jacket under/over your  normal gear?  Would you get AA just for the floatation if you already had some really warm quality gear or just use a life jacket? 

Thanks for the input in advance.  I am new to ice fishing and really rely on the great advice and experience on this site.
 ;D

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Re: Is it good to float if you fall through?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Big D:  If you have warm gear already, I wouldn't go out and get this just for the float capability.  Wearing a life jacket will add warmth if you are concerned about going through.  The other option is one of those self inflating models.  They will inflate when they hit the water.  The nice part is you could use those all summer too.  I wouldn't worry about getting under the ice if you go through.  The key is to stay off river ice unless you know it very well.  That ice is nasty as if you go through, the current will most likely pull you under the ice; life jacket, Arctic Armor or not.  The best things you can do to stay safe are:  1.  Understand the ice you are going out on.  2.  Try to fish with someone else whenever possible.  3.  Make sure you have a set of pics around your neck.  4.  Bring a spud bar and test the ice as you go out.  If that spud goes through, turn around in a hurry.  If you do those things and use good common sense, you should be good to go. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I agree with you 100%. I wear a life jacket on the poor ice, and stay off of river ice all together. The buoyancy that a life jacket will give you will aid you in getting out. Finding the hole is usually not the problem, it is getting back on the ice that is the problem. Arctic Armor or not, a life jacket is a good idea if you know you are doing something STUPID. ;D

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Its better to float
i have been thinking of ice armor myself
I dont go on untill theirs 4 or 5 in at least

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:30 PM »
I agree with you 100%. I wear a life jacket on the poor ice, and stay off of river ice all together. The buoyancy that a life jacket will give you will aid you in getting out. Finding the hole is usually not the problem, it is getting back on the ice that is the problem. Arctic Armor or not, a life jacket is a good idea if you know you are doing something STUPID. ;D
HMMMM STUPID lol I thinks we all been there at one point or another  ;) ;) ;)
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2009, 04:13 AM »

I'd rather float than sink.

Mustang Survival work suit. My kids call me "The Great Pumpkin".
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2009, 02:29 AM »
I bought an IDI gear suit at the end of last season. I will let you know when I try it out.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2009, 04:30 AM »
That is a valid question BigDynamite. If you are just walking along the ice you would probably just fall through and float. If you were riding a snowmobile going very fast and hit thin ice you "might" get projected under the ice and be floating under the ice cake. I don't think you would be "pinned" underneath and would retain about the same swimming ability, suit or no suit. If you were not wearing the suit, your clothing will have enough air trapped inside to make you float, to a degree, for a very short time.
Might be better to be floating up top w/ the suit than slowly sinking with a heavy clothing and boots.   

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Not the nicest thing to say and god forbid it happen to anyone....but wouldnt floating make recovery efforts for rescue personel much easier?

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Yes it would.
But your behind is pretty much on your own during the crucial few minutes that you have to get out and get warm.
Ice picks, spud bars, life vests, float suits. Carry em and save yourself. You don't have much time.   

Offline Balbones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I fell in a few years ago and based on that experience I would not worry at all about being trapped under the ice; unless you fish on a river with a good current to pull you under or were on a sled or wheeler and had some velocity when you went in. When I fell in my head never went under. It was like standing on the rung of a pool latter right at the water level and taking a step into the water. It didn't have enough force to take me under and I'm sure I spread my arms and legs out in a panic as I was falling in to slow me down. The biggest thing you need to worry about is getting out to somewhere safe and getting warm.

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Thanks for the continued replies on this.  I'm convinced that staying afloat is the obvious way to go.  Then, like so many of you said, use those ice picks and get out..  Carry some extra dry clothes and head for the truck pronto.  Using the spud bar and an auger hole here and there on the way is waht I plan to do along with using the eyeballs.

Thanks and tight lines.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2009, 10:19 PM »
I'm one of the few people that would sink in water, yes there's no such thing as belly floating for me.  With the added clothing, that's like a anchor on a chain for me.  Any flotation assistance will be beneficial to me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I think it depends on the size of the Ice fisherman that is going to buy one of those floating suits. Larger guys may want to float so they won't get so tired waiting for help. I know a friend of mine that is fairly large could not get himself out of the lake. He had to be pulled out with a truck and a rope. By the time he came out he was exhausted.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2009, 12:11 PM »
I have one of the Mustang survival jackets and feel much safer with it on. Hope I never have to find out how good it works but it keeps my mind at ease.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.