Author Topic: Shop Around Before You Buy  (Read 3316 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Shop Around Before You Buy
« on: Nov 22, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Well yesterday i finally went to the sporting goods store in which someone had seen the Shappell portable ice tents. I was looking for a  DX3000.  I finally spotted one as well as a DX4000 I was pretty excited until i saw the price they set these jems at. I was looking at the DX3000 when the clerk came over and i asked him if this was the best price he could do? ($325)  I told him that there were other places selling them for $279. He said oh really where?  i happily told him cabelas. He said ya but the time you add in shipping it gets up there and i said the shipping is only $20. He didnt say much after that and then i again asked him if this was the best price he could give and he ignored me and walked away. I thought it was pretty rude of him not to even give me an answer. A simple, "thats the lowest we can go" would have satisfied me. I was in no way being rude or anything like that, i was only asking if this was the lowest price they would go. I wont name the name of the store but I guess the moral of the story is -  make sure you shop around if you find something you really want because you probably can find it cheaper.
Anyway thanks for letting me vent
Thankfully it wont be long until we can get out on the ice :'(

Offline salmonoid

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Shop Around Before You Buy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2003, 03:58 PM »
i'm with you smeltshack that does sound kind of rude to me.i'm from maine also and haven't had a chance to get out and look around.thinking about a frabill shelter you seen any out there besides that nice place?good to see some other mainers on here.hope more of us get on also.always use or share stuff around the state don't you think c-ya :'(

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2003, 09:01 PM »
I havent seen any Frabill shelters yet, then again i havent checked out LL.Bean or Kittery trading Post. I have been trying to get through hunting season before i get full swing into fishing mode (not that i am ever out of fishing mode) but you know what i mean. At the place i went to they had Shappell and Eskimo shelters but thats about it. Its kind of funny because i called a place in the midwest today that sells the shelter i want and it was marked at $269.00 plus ship. Last year this same place had all there ice fishing stuff marked at 20% off around the middle of January. I think it was a really bad year for ice fishing sales since we played golf on January 8th there.
So, i may wait to see if they do that again and get an even bigger savings.  
Well as always i am always happy to meet other Mainiacs on here.
We give ice fishing a good name
Tight lines

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2003, 10:56 PM »
If i were you guys I would spend the extra money and time and get a usl clam or a fish trap shelter, I have a frabill ranger and a shappell 2 man shelter(dont remember the model #) and a clam 6800(4 man shelter) and as big as the clam is, it is still twice the shelter for the money as the other 2. I actually bought the clam 6800 so my girlfriend could go ice fishing with me and actually enjoy it, she loves it now. This last year my fishing buddy bought a fish trap voyager(3 man portable) and after fishing with that all last year I definitely want to sell both my frabill and my shappell. the usl products seem like they are made by fishermen for fishermen. they just set up easier and they seem to be very tough . we had to drag his across 200 yards of gravel and rocks one time to get to the lake ,with all our gear(power auger,camera,vexilar,etc) and it didnt damage it one bit,my frabil would have been in pieces. I just think that if you're going to spend the money ,buy a shelter that you can use for years without having to patch it back together every year,just my 2 cents worth. ;)

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:02 AM »
I am for supporting our few local sporting stores,and I know that they have to mark up items enough to make a living.But when I can save $50-$100 on a major purchase-including shipping-I have to go where my budget allows.I will still give my LOCALS my business,yet they could sometimes consider breaking even for  regular customer goodwill and know of some stores that do just that, but sadly from my experience most don't.Let's all face it,the personal contact between the customer and the local businessman is fading away fast and we are becoming a land of Big Box stores and an online world.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

mngonefishing

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:25 PM »
that depends on what you are looking at. I know that the info. I get at my local bait store is worth the extra  cents for the minnows or other bait for that mater. when i bought my frist portable i asked his advice i then shoped around some. (not only for price but also for advice) I did buy the portable from him, it was 27 dollars more the gander mt. or the sportsman store. the next time i go in there and ask where the fishing is hot i know i will get a strait answer.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2003, 10:37 PM »
Whenever I'm treated that way I just take my business elsewhere.  I'll sometimes inconvience myself just to avoid the retailer with the poor customer service.  I've walked out of lots of places I had gone into with the intend to spend good money just because I didn't like the attitude of the guy behind the counter.   I hold good customer service in high regard.  

Ice-Crack

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:25 PM »
Smelt Shack-
I'm not sure if you have a Bass Pro shop near you but some bass pro shops have them for 249.99.  

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2003, 05:39 PM »
No we dont have bass pro shops. At least i have never seen them. I called a store out in Nebraska that i used to go to that carries ice fishing gear and they have the dx3000 for $249.00 as well. They even came down $8 on their shipping charge so i would buy one from them. I like dealing with stores that actually are interested in the customer. So needless to say next week i will most likely be purchasing mine. I am very excited. i have never had a portable shelter. I have been reading up on all the ways to heat them without dying of carbon monoxide  ;D  
Have a great Thanksgiving.
Smelty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.