Author Topic: Short bed truck  (Read 3505 times)

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
Short bed truck
« on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Hey guys,

Looking for a 2 man flip over that fits in a 5 1/2 foot truck bed. What makes/models should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Harry

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Short bed truck
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Frabill Aegis ....comes in many options....full thermal...top only thermal ...bench ...boat and stadium seating choices.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Otter cabin model would squeak in, it's 64" long.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2017, 04:25 PM »
If you raise the front of the shelter some while loading you can squeak out a couple inches...ramp.. blocks etc. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2017, 06:26 PM »
I 2nd the otter cabin I can get it in my 2010 ford escape its tight but works
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

CowDawg

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Hey guys,

Looking for a 2 man flip over that fits in a 5 1/2 foot truck bed. What makes/models should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Harry

I have a Shappell fx-150 that fits in my 2017 Ram short bed.  Technically it's not considered a 2 man but it's wide enough for 1 1/2 

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2017, 08:27 PM »
I had the same concern when I got my short box Ford.  I also had to worry about the height with the hard tonneau cover I have and went with the Jason Mitchell Thermal X.  Not a lot of room left but everything is covered and locked in so it is secure even if left unattended for a time.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Clam Yukon, it will fit in the back of my Honda CRV

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2017, 10:02 PM »
buy a trailer and go hog wild!!! 

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2017, 02:28 PM »
I have an older F150 (2010) and my clam guide fits fine, just have to put stuff on the sides.

Also forgot I had a Toyota matrix that the guide fit in also, not much left for room but it fit.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2017, 08:51 PM »
I have an older F150 (2010) and my clam guide fits fine, just have to put stuff on the sides.

Also forgot I had a Toyota matrix that the guide fit in also, not much left for room but it fit.

LOL! "older"....2010!

I drive an '01!

Would a Frabill Trekker fit?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Clam Yukon Thermal fits in the back of my F150 with the tailgate closed. Put the seats down in the tub, and it fits under the tonneau cover. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2017, 07:15 AM »
Eskimo Quikflip 2 fit in my 02 f150 short box. Had some room left.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:49 AM »

I own the same shelter and was able to fit it in my 2004 Explorer. Sled size is only 60" and plenty of room for 2 people.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2017, 06:40 PM »

Thats the one I am looking at.....

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Not to be a smart *$$ but measure the length of the box of your truck to make sure you have the right box length to use to check and see if the shelter will fit.  I ran into a problem when I bought my '04 F150 and the salesman told me it was the short box, I never double checked the length of it before I went and ordered a cap, and told the cap dealer that it had the short box.  Well when the cap came in I found out that the cap dealer ordered a 5 1/2 foot cap instead of the 6 1/2 cap which was the length of the box on the truck.  When I found that out I called the car dealer and told them what happened and ended up getting real lucky because the dealer ended up buying the cap because of the screw up.   So I was looking for new truck this year I made sure to tell the salesman that it had to have a 6 1/2 foot box and when he asked me why I told him so my ice fishing sled would fit in.  Another thing to keep in mind is most of the sites will give you the dimensions of the sled so it might save you some time figuring out what shelter or brand you like first then seeing if it'll fit.  At least that way you'll have your list of possibilities lowered some. 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:47 PM »
Not to be a smart *$$ but measure the length of the box of your truck to make sure you have the right box length to use to check and see if the shelter will fit.  I ran into a problem when I bought my '04 F150 and the salesman told me it was the short box, I never double checked the length of it before I went and ordered a cap, and told the cap dealer that it had the short box.  Well when the cap came in I found out that the cap dealer ordered a 5 1/2 foot cap instead of the 6 1/2 cap which was the length of the box on the truck.  When I found that out I called the car dealer and told them what happened and ended up getting real lucky because the dealer ended up buying the cap because of the screw up.   So I was looking for new truck this year I made sure to tell the salesman that it had to have a 6 1/2 foot box and when he asked me why I told him so my ice fishing sled would fit in.  Another thing to keep in mind is most of the sites will give you the dimensions of the sled so it might save you some time figuring out what shelter or brand you like first then seeing if it'll fit.  At least that way you'll have your list of possibilities lowered some.

with Ford's it is easy to tell which box you have. the 5 1/2' box is on the super crews the 6 1/2' is on the super cabs and the 8' box is on the regular cabs unless Ford offers the 6 1/2' on a regular cab too but I don't think they do but I could be wrong. I just bought a 2011 Super Crew at the end of August and it has the 5 1/2' box. I figure if nothing else I can fit my Kenai Pro Stealth in back and also should be able have my Nanook fit in the box too when I don't have the Kenai in there. as for when I plan to bring out my Voyager I will be putting that on a cargo carrier on the back of the truck since that wouldn't fit in the box unless I left the tail gate down.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:56 PM »
I bought a HT flip over that did fit my 6 1/2' box too good. I just turned on to I-80 and got up to speed and a strong cross wind took it off like that sail Tom Hanks used to escape the island in "Castaway" No kidding. It slid down the interstate a good 50 yards taking some of my gear and thermos along with it.  Glad the traffic got over in the other lane while I collected my stuff.  Every since I tie stuff down with cords. That little longer box let some of the wind get in where a tighter fit may help.   Boy did I feel stupid.  Sometimes we lie............No honey, just another day fishing.
Thread killer

Offline adieatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Ford also offers the 5.5 in the extended cab versions so be careful. Its always best to double check with a tape and then look online at the measurements that most retailers offer with their sleds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.