Author Topic: 20° transducer enough??  (Read 889 times)

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
20° transducer enough??
« on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Ok so I had the lx7 and it was a decent flasher. But it was bulky for hole hopping and it seemed like I kept having little issues with it (not going to get into it) so I sold it and now I'm in the market for a new unit. The lx6 and the flx28 are top on my list. Here are my questions...
1. with the pro view ice ducer from vex can you get a thin line or is it always going to be a blob?
2. how do you calculate the width of the cone angle with the proview? At about 40-50 feet how big is your cone angle?
3. If I were to get an lx3 or vx1 would the 20 degree ducers be ok for deep water lake trout fishing? Or does the wide cone really screw things up i.e. casting a shadow on drop off or fishing structure

Thank you to anyone who could help me work this out. Don't want to spend the coin on a duel beam transducer if it isn't really necessary.

Ps do not make this vex vs marcum that's way beat to death.
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: 20° transducer enough??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:21 PM »
the flx 28 and the proview you can get thin lines and not blobby at all.in shallow water under 20ft use low power.starting with gain on 0 the cone angle is 9 degrees half way is prolly around 20  and gain all the way up would be around 40.which I never have it cranked.mostly set at 0 gain or a little over no matter what depth.i had the vx1pro and the lx3tc and both went to the shop with bad motors with a half a season on both but the transducer worked for me but only used them up to 35ft.sold them both and now use a vexilar fl20 and flx28 with proview ducers although I just got a tribeam for the fl20

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:37 PM »

from Vexilar FAQ

What transducer should I use ?

There is no black and white answer to this so it’s hard to give a definite answer. A lot of it is personal preference. In general the shallower water you fish, the wider cone angle is preferred. The deeper water you fish, the narrower cone angle is preferred. The 19º and 12º Iceducers are good down to about 60 feet. If you fish over that you’d want to get a Proview Iceducer. However, a lot of people like using the Proview Iceducer in shallow water as well to more easily see between structure on the bottom. If you are one who fishes all different types of depths you might like the Tri-Beam Iceducer which has 8º/12º/20º cone angles in one.. - See more at: http://www.vexilar.com/pages/ice-ducer#sthash.A5UkECn5.dpuf

I never was able to wrap my head around the Pro View math ....I have the Tri beam ...may be hard to find except on the Vexilar site
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2016, 01:41 PM »
DR.SPECKLER  I would like to hear about your thoughts between the ProView and TriBeam transducers in real world applications....shallo w, deep ,weeds etc 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:11 PM »
DR.SPECKLER  I would like to hear about your thoughts between the ProView and TriBeam transducers in real world applications....shallo w, deep ,weeds etc
when there is safe ice I will fish both ducers for a week each in the same areas on a fl20.and post my finds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.