Author Topic: Setting the hook  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
Setting the hook
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I just wanted to ask everyone's experience and suggestions on setting the hook while tip up fishing for Pike. There have been many times when my reel was ripping and when I went to set hook I got my minnow back, does anyone have a suggestion how I can land more fish or am I doing something wrong ??

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Setting the hook
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:52 PM »
 Ill tell ya right now your gonna get 5 different answers lol...  Me i think hook placement on the bait plays a factor depending on what kind of bait your using, and also the kind of rig you are using..

I use a size 6 single treble and hook all my live bait in the meat of the tail...

I dont waste anytime setting the hook.. If line is coming off the spool , im setting the hook.. Have i missed fish ? Of course.. This is one of those topics where you will go back and forth with yourself.. Whenever i miss a fish, i even debate myself,saying. EHHH maybe i should have waited...Its like a damed if you do or dont type thing...lol
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:31 PM »
This subject has kept me awake many nights wondering what if, what if, what if. Its also most likely taken a couple years off my life from added stress.
Bait size and the size of the fish in which has your bait, which you never know, plays a huge roll. I've found for me, the best outcome is to set the hook sooner than later. If the fish is really taking line, set it right away.
What size of bait are you using? Are you hooking the bait to deep? Are you not pulling the hook free of the bait?
Personally, I set the hook hard. Especially with suckers. They have a tough skin.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I should state when a fish is running hard I don't set the hook hard. I more less put a bit of pressure on the line and let the fish do the rest.
If the fish is not moving, that's when I set it hard.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I use a large J hook I think maybe a #2. Hook jumbo shiner under back fin, hooked all the way thru. I don't think it has anything to do with m hook set, I think the fish may not have the bait fully in its mouth.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2015, 08:26 PM »
With a 5" bait, I would try something more in the range of 1/0 or 2/0. Try a kahle hook, or if you are more conservation minded a circle hook. When a pike is running fast it is most likely heading for cover while waiting for the bait to die. It is a poor time to set the hook. I gave much more info in the post you put in the general forum, but you will miss a lot less fish with good technique, and practice. The worst days is when they take the bait just a few yards and stop. I still have not figured out those kinds of days, but if they are running with the bait, they are catchable.
-Tom

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:40 PM »
With a 5" bait, I would try something more in the range of 1/0 or 2/0. Try a kahle hook, or if you are more conservation minded a circle hook. When a pike is running fast it is most likely heading for cover while waiting for the bait to die. It is a poor time to set the hook. I gave much more info in the post you put in the general forum, but you will miss a lot less fish with good technique, and practice. The worst days is when they take the bait just a few yards and stop. I still have not figured out those kinds of days, but if they are running with the bait, they are catchable.

Ive experimented with ought hooks... My experience is the bait seems to free itself of the hook ..... Countless timess i go to the trap for a bait check on ought circle hooks and the bait is gone, it just weasels its way off to easily... it just seems like trebles pin themselves to the bait...

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:00 AM »
I have had fish swallow treble hooks and these fish are strictly catch and release so I would rather stay away from trebles. I know they would be the way to go for a sure catch but just don't want the risk of the fish dying. I feel like I need to wait for the right moment to hookset, usually after they run , stop for s minute, and start the run again is when I have had success landing fish. Patience is something I definately need to practice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:26 AM »
I hate to tell you this, but whether the fish swallowed one hook, or three it doesn't matter, it will die. If you are setting the hook at the proper time, the fish will never swallow the hook. I would not use a single treble, and on a 5" bait, I feel a quick strike would not be the best choice. A single hook like you are using is the best. Where you place the hook will make all the difference in the world. The best spot in my opinion is just in front of the dorsal fin. It is pretty close to where the bait balances, maybe a little head up. I hook in the back, above the back bone. The best time to set the hook is as soon as possible. If you get to the trap right away, often they are really cruising fast. It's best to wait for them to slow down. The "second run" is waiting for the fish to stop and swallow the bait. All you are doing is pulling the hook out of their gut. Even when they aren't gut hooked, this is very bad news for a fish. Trust me, and others will agree. What you think is a hook not in the mouth, is often ripping the hook right out of a pikes mouth.
-Tom

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:29 AM »
I have had fish swallow treble hooks and these fish are strictly catch and release so I would rather stay away from trebles. I know they would be the way to go for a sure catch but just don't want the risk of the fish dying. I feel like I need to wait for the right moment to hookset, usually after they run , stop for s minute, and start the run again is when I have had success landing fish. Patience is something I definately need to practice.

I like quickstrike rigs with big baits. You take it immediately, moving or not. Usually hook up, dont usually have one swallow it. Im starting to really like the gordy pyzer inline quickstrike rig. One hook right behind the head, one hook under the dorsal. If its running ijust stop the line and start pulling. If its not moving ill give it a medium hookset (if i feel the weight)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:47 PM »

I catch and release also, heres my advice, switch to trebles.. Start hooking your bait in the tail, and by tail i mean the last half inch of the meaty section of the tail.. Pike swallow baitfish head 1st, if the hook is in the tail its that much closer to the corner of the jaw.. I can tell you this, 99.99999999% of my hooksets are corner of the jaw using this method.. It doesnt effect how the bait swims around whatsoever , infact, i think it gives them a little more pep in their step so to speak...

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Im starting to really like the gordy pyzer inline quickstrike rig.

I use the same setup when using quick strikes.  I'm a fan.

Offline essox hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2015, 01:09 PM »
I catch and release also, heres my advice, switch to trebles.. Start hooking your bait in the tail, and by tail i mean the last half inch of the meaty section of the tail.. Pike swallow baitfish head 1st, if the hook is in the tail its that much closer to the corner of the jaw.. I can tell you this, 99.99999999% of my hooksets are corner of the jaw using this method.. It doesnt effect how the bait swims around whatsoever , infact, i think it gives them a little more pep in their step so to speak...
I hook my minnows further back then most people I know between back of dorsal and tail.I don't do it for hook ups or to keep them from swallowing it.I do it because I think it makes it look more like the bait is struggling,set it like this over a good weedbed and it gives the illusion the minnow is trying to swim down toward weeds.just my theory,but with quickstrikes I usually hook pike in corner of mouth and rarely have 1 swallow bait.my

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I hook my minnows further back then most people I know between back of dorsal and tail.I don't do it for hook ups or to keep them from swallowing it.I do it because I think it makes it look more like the bait is struggling,set it like this over a good weedbed and it gives the illusion the minnow is trying to swim down toward weeds.just my theory,but with quickstrikes I usually hook pike in corner of mouth and rarely have 1 swallow bait.my

Absolutely, kinda gives it the tailing feeding look..

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:29 PM »
What really gets bait going is hooking them right in the butt. They struggle like mad to try and get up right. Its how I hook crappie minnows.
-Tom

Offline 7.62x39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I target Muskie .... I use suckers for bait hooked with a gamakatsu 2/0 octopus hook with an offset point between the dorsal fin and tail. I try to set the hook while the spool is turning.... I also use 80lb seaguar fluro leader... This has worked real well for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.