Author Topic: FLX 30 BROADBAND  (Read 10516 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
FLX 30 BROADBAND
« on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but Vexilars coming out with a new flasher.

Here's the pod cast announcing it:

https://omny.fm/shows/gone-outdoors/electronics-guru-matt-waldron-of-vexilar-shares-ex

They will also be offering a Lithium battery coming in under 2 pounds for the 28 and 30 Ultra-packs.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FLX 30 BROADBAND
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:09 AM »
Might be in tune for an upgrade from my 12 Ultra.
The battery will come with the FLX28 and 30 Ultra but can be bought for all units.
I will be watching for them.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Depending on price I probably will have one.thinking about selling my flx28 and upgrading.ive had a few issues fishing in auto mode in deep water and id like a manual setting for 60+ feet.anything over 60ft and you have to use auto mode on the flx28 and in auto mode it sometimes gets confused and switches depth settings back and forth sometimes.also smelt fishing if they are in real thick it will read the fish as bottom and switch depths as shallower in auto.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2020, 08:38 AM »
vexilar broadband = chirp thats been out for quite a few years now

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2020, 09:09 AM »
vexilar broadband = chirp thats been out for quite a few years now

Good to know..maybe some deals on the 28 can be had

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Nothing special by the sounds of it. 12 volt 9 amp lithium-ion (Based on what the battery says, it uses LiFePO4 technology which leads me to believe that it is not in fact a LiFePO4 battery)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2020, 11:47 AM »

News Feed from FB

Vexilar Inc

HOT off the press! The NEW FLX-30BB!! More to come this fall but here's enough to get you excited!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer so far!!

Vexilar Expands into Broad Band Sonar Ice Technology

Minneapolis MN; Vexilar, world leaders in ice fishing sonar technology, has expanded their product line-up with the FLX-30 Broad Band sonar system. The legendary FLX sonar platform incorporates an exclusive brush-less data transfer technology for the best sunlight readable display in the industry. Now Vexilar’s new Broad Band technology, made possible with a patent pending composite digital IceDucer, offers seven sonar frequencies to optimize performance. From a powerful 150 kHz to a high definition 300 kHz, the beam signal size variates from 20 degrees to 7 degrees.

The 525 lines of display resolution makes the Vexilar flasher sonars unbeatable in target ID and brightness. The FLX-30 eliminates interference, allowing the angler to select the proper frequency to remove suspended particles and insects from view to deliver the cleanest, sharpest and highest resolution display on the market today.

Additionally, ice anglers will love the five color palettes, three power output levels, 6-foot zoom ranges (6, 12 & 18), and a max depth performance of 300 feet. A giant leap in sonar signal display, the FLX-30 Broad Band system will only be available on the popular Vexilar Ultra Pack Carry Case which now hosts a long-lasting, lightweight 9-amp hour Lithium Ion battery.

For over 60 years Vexilar has been an innovator in sonar technology, from the first straight-line paper graph, the first LCD sonar to the newest WIFI based SonarPhone technology, Vexilar sonar performance and quality is legendary.

More to come this fall on the FLX-30. If you would like to learn more about any of Vexilar other great sonar products, please visit the web site
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2020, 01:14 PM »
I read the flx30bb user manual the other day online somewhere..im on the fence as it sounds like a bunch of fiddling with modes and settings.im a vexilar fanboy but its because of the simplicity/ reliability and basically turn it on/set depth settings and fish .we will see tho.The flx28 in auto mode has frustrated me a few times with depth jumping.if had manual up to 100ft wouldnt be a problem.its only a problem smelt fishing when the fish are thick it reads the backs of the fish as true depth and then jumps around.drives me nuts.i may get a flx20 thats has manual depths for deep unless the flx30bb is affordable and somewhat simplistic.makes me wish i kept the fl18 and 20.my fl22 and flx28 are the only vexilars i kept.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2020, 06:23 AM »
I read the flx30bb user manual the other day online somewhere..im on the fence as it sounds like a bunch of fiddling with modes and settings.im a vexilar fanboy but its because of the simplicity/ reliability and basically turn it on/set depth settings and fish .we will see tho.The flx28 in auto mode has frustrated me a few times with depth jumping.if had manual up to 100ft wouldnt be a problem.its only a problem smelt fishing when the fish are thick it reads the backs of the fish as true depth and then jumps around.drives me nuts.i may get a flx20 thats has manual depths for deep unless the flx30bb is affordable and somewhat simplistic.makes me wish i kept the fl18 and 20.my fl22 and flx28 are the only vexilars i kept.
Exactly why when the 28 first came out. took a look an decided that my 18 was just what I needed.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2020, 07:41 AM »
I loved my old old old 18 too but got such a good deal on a 28 I had to take it and sold my 18.  28 did about the same as the 18 in my book except for a couple features I came to like. The big difference was how quiet the 28 was. I bought my 18 back last winter as a spare and used it a day last winter. All those things that were small differences to me at that time became clear as to being big differences when going back! The 18 seemed like an old clunker car with a bad muffler. Now I’m with the side that says the 28 was a huge upgrade. I’m not sure the 30 is going to be as big a change as the 18 to 28 was though. The 30’s battery is not a big deal to me as a hard house guy.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Well im seeing prices on the new vexilar flx30bb..about $800.no way would i pay that amount for a vexilar.they work great but theres no ground breaking tech for that amount of money.i will stick with my flx28 .all my cheaper vexilars work just fine at locating fish under the ice.might look at a flx20 to add to my fleet.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2020, 10:25 AM »
I agree, but there’s a lot of people out there think you and are crazy for spending what a 28 costs too. 🤷‍♂️

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2020, 03:35 PM »
Saw this today over my lunch break. I hope it's easier to set up and use than it looks like on the video though I am sure most won't need to adjust the settings all that much once it's dialed in on their home waters.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:13 PM »
I looked hard at 28 and settled on a 20 happy I did.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:23 PM »
I watched a video on it the other day. I got a 28 a few years ago and have been extremely happy with it, I don’t see any huge advantage to the 30, I am not a fan of the ultra packs anyway and i have fished from sun up to sundown and i have yet to drain the standard battery. The next ice sonar i buy will have to be more of an upgrade than the 30.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2020, 06:35 AM »
Looks nice but too many settings for me. I'm very happy with my FLX-20, going on my 3rd year with it. It has enough setting options to fine tune it, but it is not overwhelming.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Im a hardcover vexilar fan but the price and all the fancy uneeded features have swayed me away from the flx30bb.i was going to sell my flx28 to get one but i dint like fiddling thru options to fish.i like vexilar for the simplicity of turning it on,adjust gain and fish.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:19 AM »
Looks nice but too many settings for me. I'm very happy with my FLX-20, going on my 3rd year with it. It has enough setting options to fine tune it, but it is not overwhelming.

I'm with you. I think the FLX20 would be perfect for me too, but at the time I was shopping, it was a brand new model, and I was able to get a reconditioned FLX28 for the same price. I do like the auto range on a few places I fish the depth changes quite a bit when hole hopping, its nice not to have to touch any settings, just drop it in and fish. Otherwise the 20 would do everything I need it to.

I kinda think Vexilar would be further ahead to develop a true, add on, multibeam transducer. A Tribeam 2.0, or maybe a Quad beam, whatever... give it a digital display and a nice knob or switch to go between beams, something you could add on to any model. I'm sure this 30bb is awesome, but at the price point, a lot of the new features are, I think, a hard sell to anyone who isn't a pro tournament angler or something. I guess they are banking on local "hotdogs" snatching enough of these up, but I think they'd sell a lot of multibeam transducers.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:31 AM »
The more I read and watch the more I believe that Vexilar is stretching the simplicity of the circular flasher screen - way too many modes and settings for a simple dial display and multifunction buttons/knobs. Also note, broadband is not chirp in this case - it's just a wider range of frequencies that are statically pinged by the unit - not a chirp sweep of multiple frequencies. If you want chirp on the ice you're still looking at Humminbird, Lowrance, and Garmin

Catchin' Fish

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:38 AM »
I'm with you. I think the FLX20 would be perfect for me too, but at the time I was shopping, it was a brand new model, and I was able to get a reconditioned FLX28 for the same price. I do like the auto range on a few places I fish the depth changes quite a bit when hole hopping, its nice not to have to touch any settings, just drop it in and fish. Otherwise the 20 would do everything I need it to.

I kinda think Vexilar would be further ahead to develop a true, add on, multibeam transducer. A Tribeam 2.0, or maybe a Quad beam, whatever... give it a digital display and a nice knob or switch to go between beams, something you could add on to any model. I'm sure this 30bb is awesome, but at the price point, a lot of the new features are, I think, a hard sell to anyone who isn't a pro tournament angler or something. I guess they are banking on local "hotdogs" snatching enough of these up, but I think they'd sell a lot of multibeam transducers.

I was going to get the FLX-12 but ended up getting the FLX-20 for 35% off two years ago. Gander had a coupon out and the cashier honored it for the vexilar, even though they weren't supposed to so I couldn't pass it up. The big reason I wanted the flx-20 was for the 10' screen instead of the standard 20' screen. I fish less than 10 fow 90% of the time so it's worth it to have this option.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:39 AM »
My FL18 does me just fine ..Since 2003 added the Ultra pack and the TriBeam several seasons ago along with the DD-100 . Not seeing me jump to the 28 or 30 anytime soon . The 30 transducer is just for the 30 ...??? .Not enough bells and whistle or too many bells and whistles ..either or just not feeling it. I could probably get a FL20 head unit if I decided to upgrade and be very happy.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I guess they are banking on local "hotdogs" snatching enough of these up, but I think they'd sell a lot of multibeam transducers.

That's how I feel about most of the high end flasher/sonar systems nowadays. The average guy that can get out once or twice a weekend for the 6-12 weekends(depending on where you live) probably won't need most of the features of the newest systems. $800 for the flx30 and $2800 for the top end Garmin panoptix system is crazy for most folks. I know there are some people out there that fish 5 days a week during ice season and then transfer the system to their boats, so it would be worth it at that point, but damn. That's crazy expensive.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2020, 11:20 AM »
I was going to get the FLX-12 but ended up getting the FLX-20 for 35% off two years ago. Gander had a coupon out and the cashier honored it for the vexilar, even though they weren't supposed to so I couldn't pass it up. The big reason I wanted the flx-20 was for the 10' screen instead of the standard 20' screen. I fish less than 10 fow 90% of the time so it's worth it to have this option.

Yeah, I use the 10ft and 15ft range a lot, one of the reasons I was shopping for a new flasher in the first place. That, and it seems like a lot of places I go are like 24ft or so, with my old one I had to jump up to 40ft and then use just a little more than half the screen. Now I can always use nearly the whole screen.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Yes some great deals on the Flx20 bought new at 475. No need to upgrade

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2020, 09:33 PM »
I just picked up an FLX-30BB.  I needed another Vexilar for friends to use when they come out fishing so I’m going to donate my FLX-28 for that.  Played with it a little.  The price is extreme IMO as it only comes on the Ultra Case at this point in time.  My guess is that will change in the future.  It is a bit lighter with the lithium battery which is nice.  Took about 2 seconds to navigate and figure out the new features so if you’re thinking about picking one up don’t let that scare you.  If you know how to use any of the FLX series Vexilars this isn’t much of a jump.  We’ll see if the new features are worth it.. My initial reaction is that its a very nice unit and if you’re looking to upgrade from one of the older Vexilar units I’d spend the extra and get this one over the FLX-28 if that is an option for you.  If you’re currently running an FLX-28 I don’t think I’d upgrade.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2020, 09:35 AM »
While I won't be getting one, it sounds interesting and fills a niche for certain people.

If you want to learn more about it, or just listen to some great ice fishing talk, here's a podcast featuring a vexilar employee and well known tournament angler here in MN.  Matt knows his stuff.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7Fa6bkcPToT6qI4ZDyqZZr?si=ttOpTaEnTPWRJ_KiLzepDQ

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2020, 11:46 PM »
Was a vex fan.... Once they dropped the dual / tri beam and pushed the POS pro view they have been going down hill.

The 30BB is a perfect example of the absolute crap they push now trying to act like a vexilar is some new high cutting tech...which it isn't.

What was nice about vexilar was the simplicity of the units. You could take a 12 yr old or a 65yr old and show them how to run the unit and explain beam coverage with the cone and switches.....and how to clean up the screen....in a short time they could run it perfectly. The 28 started to add stuff that was nice, but started to add stuff you really never used much or needed....The 30BB is a hey we need a new version for people to buy.....morons come out with a new transducer AGAIN and can't make a flipping dual or tri beam for the other units when every flipping other company does....vexilar can suck it.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Was a vex fan.... Once they dropped the dual / tri beam and pushed the POS pro view they have been going down hill.

The 30BB is a perfect example of the absolute crap they push now trying to act like a vexilar is some new high cutting tech...which it isn't.

What was nice about vexilar was the simplicity of the units. You could take a 12 yr old or a 65yr old and show them how to run the unit and explain beam coverage with the cone and switches.....and how to clean up the screen....in a short time they could run it perfectly. The 28 started to add stuff that was nice, but started to add stuff you really never used much or needed....The 30BB is a hey we need a new version for people to buy.....morons come out with a new transducer AGAIN and can't make a flipping dual or tri beam for the other units when every flipping other company does....vexilar can suck it.
Do you have a headache this morning?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2020, 09:50 AM »

:clap: :clap: someone had to say it.  Nothing truly groundbreaking when compared to the field and still telling the customer what's best for them instead of listening to criticism. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.