The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island report 1/29/19  (Read 936 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island report 1/29/19
« on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Finally, the long awaited much anticipated...

Who said a bad day fishing is still better than a good day working?  He never fished a day like today!

19 degrees and no wind in South Burlington made me anticipate a good day on the ice despite the word from lots of others that the fishing was pretty slow at Tabor Point but, alas...

The bait lady at Hog Island Market told me when I asked if anyone was catching fish that, "Not around here" but I'd already spent an hour getting there.  When I walked out of the store with my fatheads, the wind came up just like in a biblical movie, I think nearly 30 mph sustained!

Anyway, the ice is clear, no snow hardly at all so you'll need your creepers.  There's a good 18 inches of solid ice so I could have driven out.  Somebody plowed the access but it was very icy.  I didn't bother getting any big bait so I didn't put out my tip-ups at all; would have been a nightmare anyway.  When I pulled my big silver spoon up out of the hole the wind took it straight out parallel to the ice!  It took nearly an hour for the first bite and that's all it was, just a bite so I moved.  The next hole was just as dead but I did bring up two little dinks that I would have put on my tip-ups had I brought them out.

I started to see guys coming off the ice from those shanties you see in the distance.  Then an old fellow came down from Highgate Springs, said he'd given up there long ago and had just come from Lake Carmi where the snow was really coming down and so came down here.  He'd heard the bite was slow and he was right.  He set up near me so I moved again, which I never do, and then I got another little dinky perch that I threw right back where he came from.

And that was it.  Two hours and three put-back perch... bummer.

But, at least I got out and now I know I can drive out if need be.  Looks like next Monday maybe???

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Hog Island report 1/29/19
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Thanks for the report, thats too bad it was slow for you.
What I hear its been real slow.
Hopefully turns on soon.
Always enjoy your reports.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Neksportsman850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Well today on the 5th floor was windy and brutal, I sill think I would rather be fishing! Did that fellow mention how much snow was on the ice at carmi?

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Thanks all.  They closed the ferries yesterday... 42mph winds!  No word on Lake Carmi snow but we got another 4 inches down here last night so I imagine it's at least that up there.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Thanks for the report. Too bad for the wind on your first day out. Tabors sucks with that relentless wind.

Better luck next time.

Wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Went out yesterday and the same thing for me. Marked fish at every hole but they wanted NOTHING. I imagine they filled up before the storm. Maybe this artic hell will kick them into gear. 
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.