Author Topic: "universal" tip up leader  (Read 1728 times)

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
"universal" tip up leader
« on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Anyone use just one leader always on their tip ups?  I use my tipups for jumbo perch and walleyes set up with a 4# Ice mono leader, and take them all apart to go for pike and pickerel and put on a wire leader.  I hear a lot of people using heavy Fluorocarbon leaders for pike.  I am not hunting HUGE pike areas.  If all I was usually getting into were pickerel and 20" range pike, a 20 or 30# floro leader would likely be ok for them but would it be a deterant for perch and walleyes?  I only have 4 traps, and some days I could leave from the same spot and go deep for eyes and perch and could decide to go shallow for pike and pickerel.  Could I just use the 20 or 30# leader for both and not have to worry about retying all of them?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: "universal" tip up leader
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:59 AM »
On the end of all my tip-up line  tie a small ball bearing snap swivel..  Then I always have pre made leaders made up with a loop tied on the end...  That way I can change them out easy...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2011, 04:27 PM »
On the end of all my tip-up line  tie a small ball bearing snap swivel..  Then I always have pre made leaders made up with a loop tied on the end...  That way I can change them out easy...
when i go for perch or pickeral or bass i use 11.5 frog hair fluoro line. i lose some good pickeral but when i swith 2 15-17lb flouro i catch the same number of fish and nothing changes except i pull in bigger fish when called for.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I use snap swivels. Nothing fancy I'm not trolling. For pike I use about a 12" steal leader, eye's I use about a 3' of 8# f-carbon leader. I have pulled up pike over 20" on the 8# f-carbon but the leader neads replacing for that matter eye's will nick it up alot of the time. My buddy retired the 40# f-carbon leaders this yr after trying them for 2 yrs. for the same reason. He always had a few nicked up after a day of pike fishing.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2011, 06:48 PM »
I use snap swivels. Nothing fancy I'm not trolling. For pike I use about a 12" steal leader, eye's I use about a 3' of 8# f-carbon leader. I have pulled up pike over 20" on the 8# f-carbon but the leader neads replacing for that matter eye's will nick it up alot of the time. My buddy retired the 40# f-carbon leaders this yr after trying them for 2 yrs. for the same reason. He always had a few nicked up after a day of pike fishing.
i love fluoro for warmwater species especially in clear water

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Run your leaders through your fingers. You might find them nicked up. I do like how low vis the stuff is that wy I use it for eyes. If I'm targetting pike the 7stand goes on. most my leaders are 3yrs old and in my neck of the woods the greedy pigs will nail anything.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.