Author Topic: Do you go out alone?  (Read 18764 times)

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do you go out alone?
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:46 PM »
If you would or do what do you take and how do you go about things? Would you ride on the ice(atv or snowmobile)?

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do you go out alone?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:19 PM »
99% of the time I go out solo. I rarely go out fishing unless the ice is at least 6 inches thick. Almost always walk out there too. I take my shack, auger, poles, chair, heater, food, drink, and other normal ice fishing things.

Matt

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:34 PM »
I fish alone most of the time. I also walk until we get 8-9 inches then I take my utv until I can drive my truck on.  I take my shack, heater, food, auger, vex and the rest of the basic stuff.  Most days I feel like I am taking the kitchen sink too.

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Ok but walking in 6 in. Of ice what happens when you find a soft spot and fall through?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:39 PM »
Use a spud bar. As you walk out hit the ice with it every couple of steps. This should help you out on seeing if you have good or bad ice.

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Do you have any of the cables that are worn around your neck have the spikes on the end?

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:52 AM »
I will admit that I rarely carry any safety items with me. One thing I do to help increase my odds of making it back on shore safely is to make sure I know the lake very well as far as springs or underwater current paths. Plus knowing my luck if I carried those spike things is when I would happen to break through, the spikes would go flying and land just out of reach...lol. I do wear spikes on my boots and if I would ever fall in, I would at least have those to assist me.

Matt

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:02 AM »
i did alot until new years eve of this year and i went throught where there was a spring.  Now, im really aprehensive about going out alone.  if it wernt for a stranger that spotted me and came with a rope and hauled me out who knows where i would be. 

Offline DadDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:10 AM »
 I go alone about half the time. Most of the time its on lakes I know well and am aware of ice conditions. If on a new body of water, I take my time checking the ice with a chisel. I've never gone through ice fishing, but have gone through while trapping and its no fun when you are a mile or more from a vehicle or help! I do carry extra clothes in my vehicle just in case.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:27 AM »
I'm usually going it solo and I'm not to worried about.  99% of the time I'm going for brook trout so If I fall through it'd be 5' or less.  My feet will hit bottom.   and my head a food and a half above the water.  I'll be good. 

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:43 AM »
More then half my time on the ice is solo.  I am wearing floation suit or PFD,  carry and use chisel, Have picks handy and family  know right where I am going. If I change plan I call. I also am not going out on thin ice. My "thin ice" is far thicker then most.  You go solo you are adding to the risk factor, Plan ahead and THINK. Would never encourage anyone to go solo but if you do take your time check the ice as you go and be prepared. Its not always the other guy. Good luck stay safe

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:50 AM »
I am 50% 50% on fishing alone. I like fishing alone, so I try to slip away when I can.

It is important to know the body of water and to have plenty of general knowledge about ice. Noobies should not go alone!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:22 AM »
I fish alone quite often, when I'm out at first ice, I chip holes in the ice in front of me as I walk out to make sure there's at least 2" of clear ice. I keep ice picks around my neck, wear a floater suit, and have a throw rope sitting on top of my fish trap, just in case. Once ice hits about 8", then i switch to the snowmobile for the rest of the season. If I'm on an unfamiliar lake, i keep the picks around my neck, and might stop every now and then on the ride out to keep checking ice thickness.

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Solo and at times other than the crowds show. Not much into first ice, leave it to the newbies and fanatics to catch the easy fish. Usually wait for 5"-6" and go after the leftover bigger/better fish. In a "Normal(ish)" winter I usually am still after Deer, 'yotes and small game in December and start hitting the ice in January, This year.......? Will latch up with some of the other oldtimers I'll come across and loosely work together to figure it out. Known some of these guys 40yrs, not sure of their names but on ice we know each other on sight and discuss/trust each other. Not anti-social, do help numerous newbies every winter, just a comfortable/highly effective approach on waters I've fished since the 60s

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:54 PM »
I fish alone nearly 100 % of the time.. And I love it !!
I'm in no hurry to get out on 2 inches of ice..  anything less then 4 and I'm fishing close to shore in the shallow water..
I do carry picks early season and If I'm not certain.. I don't go  ...

Offline khuy123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Never!! Drinking beer alone is boring!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Never!! Drinking beer alone is boring!
I'm probably the minority on this, But I never drink on the ice or in the boat.. Afterwards I don't mind a few.. I've killed enough brain cells over the years, I need whats left to be operating to their full potential when I'm on the water.. hard or soft.. 

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Lol thanks for the replys I like the input.

Offline Tee Tee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 PM »
I'm probably the minority on this, But I never drink on the ice or in the boat.. Afterwards I don't mind a few.. I've killed enough brain cells over the years, I need whats left to be operating to their full potential when I'm on the water.. hard or soft..

I guess I'm with you. Things can go sideways in a hurry and I think a clear head is best. Most people think about themselves when it comes to emergencies but what about the unprepared newbie or anyone that is in need of assistance? You may not be saving your own a$$ is my point.

I do go out most times by myself but I always have a plan, tell my wife and a friend or two. I don't go to uncharted water only places I know. Fishing is a lot of fun with friends but my work schedule allows lots of alone time.

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Most of the time I want to go out, I don't have some one to go with. That's why my question came up. When I go with my dad he likes to go to te same stop and that drives me nuts. I like to switch it up but by doing that I go alone and wanted to know the gear and precaution you take when you guys go alone so that I can practice them also because I like going home at the end of the day!  Thanks for the reply

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:31 AM »
I go alone 100% of the time. There are a number of things you want to keep in mind. Is there snow on the ice? If not, you can "read" the ice by looking at the cracks. The cracks will give you some idea of the ice thickness.....not in inches.....but if it's just an inch or many inches. Clear black ice is the ultimate risk, unless you spud it to find out how thick it is.....and you'll typically find out it isn't very thick!! Like the guys said, learn your body of water. Talk with others and ask about potential danger spots or characteristics.....th ey'll tell ya.....they don't want to be hauling your *** out later. Following other's tracks isn't fool proof, but if someone just passed that way, you'll likely be OK. If you the first one out and you're alone, you had better have an escape plan.......not just a theoretical one, but one you have tested or proven will work. Hand spikes are a great idea, but once you body has been submerged in that ice cold water, you won't have the strength of a baby! If you doubt me, the next time your town has a "polar plunge" do it and see just how long you can stand being in there, and pay attention how difficult it is to walk out, and imagine trying to pull yourself UP ONTO the ice surface wearing fully soaked carhartts or other coveralls!!! I always go by, "if I think it could be too dangerous, I pass on it so I can go fishing again tomorrow".

ed

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:32 AM »
What's the difference between black and clear ice

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 AM »
What's the difference between black and clear ice
"Black" and "clear" ice are the same.  It has few or no air bubbles in it, and is very transparent.  The more air that is in the ice, the weaker it gets. 

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I'm probably the minority on this, But I never drink on the ice or in the boat.. Afterwards I don't mind a few...

You're not alone. 
Chris Raymond

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Black.....or clear ice is the scariest for me because there is nothing to give you any indication how thick it is.....visually. After a bit, ice usually gets some cracks in it, or perhaps some trapped bubbles percolating up from the bottom, Until that happens, 1/2" looks the same as 6". Course if the ice is covered with snow.......you're really flying blind and much more care is required venturing forth.

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I go out alone sometimes. I only fish a couple bodies of water and know the areas well. I usually don't venture too far off course on the 4 wheeler if there's under 10" of ice or so going back and forth to the shacks.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:57 PM »
I go out 99% of the time alone as well :tipup:

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2012, 05:39 PM »
alone over 85% of the time. next door neighbor, wife (HA), kids (HA HA) and grandkids (HA HA HA) the rest of the time.
can't pull myself out of the pool with ice picks in the summer time, not much use in the winter.
last ice, not ashamed to wear a float coat and waders. the waders are to get to the ice and back to shore.
first ice, usually wait for 3-4'' before taking the quad out.  it floats, have pictures to prove it. 
depends on how bad you want to go fishing and what it's worth to you. yes, it could be your life if you mess up. 
the bottom line is there's no such thing as ''safe ice'', just ice that you are willing to risk your life and equipment on.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2012, 06:59 PM »
I go out probably 90 percent of the time, I can't tell you how or why experiance has taught me pretty much what I can trust. fortunatly I have never been in, and if I did I have hopefully thought and planned on how it would go.
:icefish:

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2012, 07:31 PM »
i did alot until new years eve of this year and i went throught where there was a spring.  Now, im really aprehensive about going out alone.  if it wernt for a stranger that spotted me and came with a rope and hauled me out who knows where i would be.

It took me a couple of seasons for my on ice apprehension to completely go away after my experience with an under ice spring. That particular time I happened to be fishing with someone else. For the most part I fish alone, and I'm good with that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.