Author Topic: Chicago Area Harbor Ice Fishing  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chicago Area Harbor Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 11:14 AM »
I have always wanted to ice fish the Lake Michigan harbors, in the Chicago area, but have never made the trip there.  This year I have decided this is the time.  I would like to ask a favor of those of you that fish the areas.  I am totally out of my element in an urban area and need some help on where to start.

Is there anything special you need to do to get permission to fish in the harbors?  Are there special regulations about fishing around the docks, jetties, etc?  Where do you park?  How do you get onto the ice?  The seawalls seem very high, are there ramps or other walkways?

Any general tips, tackle suggestions, locations, patterns, or “secret bait” would be appreciated.  I have ice fished for several years and in many different areas but never fished these harbors.  It seems a shame that I live about two hours away and never taken the time to travel to these sites. 

Pop

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chicago Area Harbor Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 03:27 PM »
I guess the fishing is so good the Chicago area, the northern Illinois anglers want to keep it a secret. 

I don’t think I have ever asked for help on this site and not gotten an answer before.   

Pop

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:17 PM »
Dont feel bad I would like to know too!!  I have heard in the past that some of the best perch fishing in this area is at Montrose Harbor.  Thats all i know.
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:18 PM »

Is there anything special you need to do to get permission to fish in the harbors?  Technically the park district wants you to buy a pier pass for bout $5 for the season, but its not a law  ;)

Are there special regulations about fishing around the docks, jetties, etc?  If your fishing off the dock daley wants $5 for his pass available at henrys,  you need a lake michigan salmon stamp to fish for trout.

Where do you park? Montrose and belmont have free parking, well belmont might charge on the weekend, I have not checked yet.  At Dusable and burnham harbor you need to buy a 3 month parking pass for about $14.  Call Henrys bait shop on 31st and canal  http://www.henryssports.com/

The seawalls seem very high, are there ramps or other walkways? Yes montrose and belmont have certian gates that are open so you can walk down the ramp.

"Any general tips, tackle suggestions, locations, patterns, or “secret bait” would be appreciated.  I have ice fished for several years and in many different areas but never fished these harbors.  It seems a shame that I live about two hours away and never taken the time to travel to these sites."  Spikes and minnows on ice jigs fished near the bottom for perch,  the schools circle the harbor so the bite will turn on and off.  Tipups with roaches or spawn for trout and salmon,  there a some in there.  Henrys has a free fishing hotline with weekly updates on the harbors,  1 312 225 fish.  As of today there is no safe ice in the harbors, I would say if the weather holds it will be 1 - 2 weeks.   I wait for 6", cause the water is 20 feet deep everywhere and can have a curret in and out under the ice, its not a place I want to fall in.  Stay away from the mouth of the harbor and the "bubblers"  the ice is weak there.  The perch bite can be good on certian days, the harbors get alot of pressure.  If you have any other questions just ask

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Hey Brian - DaFish , glad to see some of you guys are still alive . Keep in touch sometime!

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:52 PM »
Yo Brian, great post with GOOD info.

Don't forget to add a Slammer for those Browns.

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Sure is hard to keep good ice men from looking at ALL area's of hard water to enjoy their sport.  Those harbors do have some great fishing..............b ut the big perch are most likely in the deep open water.  But the smaller harbor perch sure are fun to catch.

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:18 PM »
Shwung79 and DaFish, I really appreciate the feed back from you and the others.  I was beginning to think I needed to take a shower or something.  DaFish that is some great information and exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you, sir.

To all of you if there is ever anything I can do to help, just let me know.  I don’t travel to the north part of the state, to fish, much but I drill the heck out of holes in central Illinois.  If you see a big ole bald guy with a red and black suite, pulling a one man Ranger with more crap than anyone needs it is probably me.  Please wave and say hi.

Pop

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Hey Turkeyhunter, Jackpine and Wsj.   Pop as soon as I fish the harbors this year I will post a report.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Brian,thank you much for the help.  I was going to start calling the ice fishing hot line in a week or so, but now I will wait until I see something from you.

Pop

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Henrys has a free ice fishing derby the first weekend of Febuary, call them for details.  Its usually at Belmont,  It might be a good place to learn due to the number of friendly fishermen on the ice.  Free bait, free raffle, free hot choclate,  plus medals for the winners.

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Good info Brian,

Great to see some familiar faces.  Now come on you Illinois B###ards join up this Ice Shanty Tourney,  costs nothin!!!!!!!!!
Hopin to see some good reports here. Jackpine, WSJ nice seein you here.  So far the reports from the sites aren't very good.  I guess the snow may have put a damper on the fish.  Hopefully you guys will have a successful weekend and safe also! I'm heading over the border and try some lakes up there tomorrow morning.

Val
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Valleye, make sure we get a report.

Will do the same on my Sunday outing.

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

DAVES52380

« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:14 PM »
i fished the harbors last season, it is really cool, the water is so clear and blue.. could see pretty far down if in a shanty.  The perch I caught are definitly smaller then the ones i catch in the summer, but mabey i was just icefishin the wrong spot at the wrong time.  I cannot wit to get back out there.  Keep me posted on any reports and ice conditions. Becareful as the ice around the piers is much thinner then away from it.... henry's bait shop at 31st and canal if I can remember correctly....  good luck

brian g

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:08 AM »
See lots of familiar faces.Th10 and WSJ,whats up guys.
  Plenty of ice at Montrose but be safe.
Want to see a recent report,www.chitown-angler.com
  Wow,first post and im already breaking the rules.

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Well BrianG, wsj was not aware of any Ice rules here on the internet.  Thought it was free space as long as the DNR rules to protect the fish and fisherman were obeyed. ::)

Sure would like to get into some harbor perch..........got to find out if burnham has safe ice, as this is wsj's favorite harbor.  Now montrose and belmont are both fine mind you, and any angler can get much enjoyment from both.  With the comming colder weather should make ice again this weekend, if the rain/drizzle has not hurt it to bad.

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:57 PM »
FYI......the smaller perch are in the harbors in numbers, while not many keepers they sure are fun to catch. :D

wsj ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.