Author Topic: Garmin Striker plus 5 Ice Bundle review  (Read 3914 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Striker plus 5 Ice Bundle review
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Anyone use or have an opinion on this unit? Im thinking of buying one,

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Garmin Striker plus 5 Ice Bundle review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:16 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  This unit looks intriguing.  I like the portable ability to use it in summer and winner.  The make your own map feature might be the most attractive. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline drg2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2018, 07:39 AM »
I don't have the Garmin Striker plus 5 Ice Bundle, but I have the Garmin echoMap Chirp 95 and the panoptix transducer. I bought it for the boat and for ice fishing. Both have similar features. The mapping is good. I am still tinkering with that option as I have detailed maps drawn but I have to make more passes than I thought I would to cover a larger area. The graphics of both garmins are great, and you can change the background colours which helps as well. I've taken it out once this year ice fishing, but we used the panoptix so I can't really comment much on the flasher portion yet. I have tinkered around a little bit with the flasher mode when I had it on the boat and it seemed to work well.

If you are buying it for both summer and winter, garmin striker plus 5 would be a good option. Garmin is a great company to deal with. I was planning on buying a humminbird sonar for the boat this past spring it was just a matter of which model as I have the Humminbird ICE 45 and love it. Then I watched some videos about the Garmin echoMap Chirp with Panoptix and looked into that for the boat and for ice fishing. That's how I have a Garmin now and I am quite impressed with the graphics and the amount of technology built into such a small unit. 

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I have the striker 5. I wanted a dual purpose unit that could be used in my boat and also as a flasher for ice fishing. So far I'm really impressed. For the first while I used the standard transducer mounted to an old broom handle for ice fishing but eventually ordered the ice transducer, so much easier to use. I have the older version so can't comment on the mapping feature.

I have it mounted to an old 6 pack cooler for ice fishing, the battery fits in the cooler and the handle is nice when moving around.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:35 AM »
love my striker 4 bundle. the 5 could only be better.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:50 AM »
thanks allot for all of the input guys.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:10 AM »
mine came with the boat type ducer, which i am happy for because it is easy to use it for ice but the ice one would be hard for boat use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.