Author Topic: New to using sonar/flashers, can you..  (Read 2005 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to using sonar/flashers, can you..
« on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Hey Guys,
 I have never used a flasher. Can you use above ice to get depth and or structure? I've also seen the Marcum showdown which looks like a fish finder screen. would this work above the ice?

I guess this year I am considering investing in something other than a camera, but I wanted to know if there was such a way to check depths and any possible structure without having to drill a hole. ive seen online on cabalas small yellow portable depth sounders but their reviews are terrible.

any insight would be greatly appreciated of suggestions.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: New to using sonar/flashers, can you..
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:14 PM »
If it is clear ice with few bubbles you can pour a little water or other liquid on the ice, set the bottom of the transducer in the liquid and shoot through the ice. Doesn't work nearly as well with cloudy ice or layered ice.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:17 PM »
yes and no.

If it's clear black ice, you put a bit of water on the ice then the transducer on the ice. It can give you depths and show fish. Snow covered or cloudy ice you get a lot of interference in the flasher. Seems to work up till the ice is over 20" thick.

on a side note if it's really cold out and you do this, the transducer can freeze to the ice.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to using sonar/flashers, can you.. updated question
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:19 PM »
ok. makes sense, thank you.
does any flasher or sonar fish finder for ice fishing work to show any kind of structure if I were to punch holes?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2018, 04:23 PM »
It will only show a flat bottom. Same as if you were jigging in a stationary boat.

Playing with the sensitivity you can tell if it's a hard or soft bottom and if there are weeds present. Weeds will look like fish but never move.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:03 PM »
hummingbird    get it

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:08 PM »
If you get the navionics app for your phone, that will get you to a desired depth as your traveling out on the lake.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2018, 08:33 PM »
The way sonata show structures is by passing a beam over them and showing you the distance from you to it. Other than Garmin panoptix or Humminbird 360 you won’t get a side sweeping image to show you the bottom other than what’s directly below you. Or if clear early ice, I guess you could drag your transducer over wet ice with a graph unit and it’ll show you contour and structure.

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Humminbird does not recommend using the 360 transducer in winter, it's not made to take the cold weather and can damage the transducer itself.gps lakemaps and underwater camera maybe you best bet along with the new garmin units.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:25 AM »
If you get the navionics app for your phone, that will get you to a desired depth as your traveling out on the lake.

which Navionics app exactly? i would be interested in purchasing it but i see several in the App store. thanks.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Navionics US & Canada Boating.  I think it's around $15 or so.  only app I've ever actually spent money on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.navionics.singleAppUsaCanada&hl=en_CA

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:37 AM »
looking at this unit?
thoughts

Garmin® Striker Plus 5 Ice Bundle

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Navionics US & Canada Boating.  I think it's around $15 or so.  only app I've ever actually spent money on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.navionics.singleAppUsaCanada&hl=en_CA

thanks!
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:08 AM »
It will only show a flat bottom. Same as if you were jigging in a stationary boat.

Playing with the sensitivity you can tell if it's a hard or soft bottom and if there are weeds present. Weeds will look like fish but never move.

some video

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334480.msg3544659#msg3544659
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:26 PM »
you can also look at the navionics maps here..

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=oxi%7DHrjdjS

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Anyone use the Vexilar depth sounder? Amazon has it for $170.  Would be handy to shoot depths from ontop the ice.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Anyone use the Vexilar depth sounder? Amazon has it for $170.  Would be handy to shoot depths from ontop the ice.

The LPS-1 ...I have one ..great when i used it...but since getting the DD-100 hardly gets much use...could not get it to shoot through ice though .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.