Author Topic: Looking for a new reel  (Read 1301 times)

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for a new reel
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Anyone have experience with the inline style reels?  How do you like them vs. a spinning reel?  I target Perch 95% of the time with an ultra light rod.  Any input from you experience appreciated.

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
Re: Looking for a new reel
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:27 PM »
I use a eagle claw inline reel exclusively for perch and I love it. Two pound line and 1/64 ounce jig and no line twist or spinning jigs. Nice and smooth, pretty quick too. They are coming out with nicer ones now that I might try on my walleye rod. Of course there’s those that hate them...

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I have a freefall that I used last winter and am not a huge fan of them.  Not sure why, but I like my spinning reels.  Big issue is panfish with line coiling, so not 100% sure what I will be using yet for that.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Pflueger moniceb is on sale on Amazon for 18 and change as of yesterday, I ordered one.
Reviews are very good and it's at s great price

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Was eyeing up that Pflueger as well.  Not sure what to think of the inline.  Was looking at the freefall too.  Seems a bit steep in the price department just to try but I would hate to buy a cheap one and not like it due to poor materials or build quality.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Just picked up a free fall, anxious to try it out. Smooth as silk. Pricy? Not really when one considers the cost of everything else. Ion electric auger, hard side shanty, recording camera, Deeper finder, Showdown for back up, plus those fancy lures that really do work. They lure in fisherman like crazy.

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Where did you get yours from?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Cabelas here had one, $110.  Had a bit of a time, was in the store looking, sales person said no stock, bought a Ghost to fill the need. Got back home, checked online, said limited stock. Called the store, cust service said one in stock, transfer to fishing dept, said reel was in showcase. Yeeehaw, hold it, I'll be there in twenty-five minutes. Extra fifty miles, don't matter one bit in pursuit of happiness.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:15 PM »
I got an amazing Pfluger reel for $34 originally $69.  It is a steal and many more available looks like.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I have a 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061. Paid right around $70 through amazon. Normally $80ish. Love it. Will never use a spinning reel again on the ice again. Looking into their free fall models. May go up to one of these, or may add another 6061.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2018, 09:25 PM »
I came across a used Black Betty Freefall and it is in the mail headed my direction.  Can't wait to get it and try it out.  Going to mount it on a Fenwick ultra light and see how that combo works.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:36 PM »
I have the Eagle Claw inline and like it a lot.  As other's have said there's no line twist and for the price it's a decent reel.  The one thing that I did to mine to make it work better was to clean off the spindle and gears and put some quality oil on them. 

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2018, 04:59 PM »
So, got out with my Freefall and I really like it.  So nice not having to deal with bail.  Drag adjustment is easy to do with gloves on and it retrieves very smooth.  I really like the release when adjusting for height of marks on the flasher.  You just reel up to the mark, if above, and then simply pull the release and the line drops and as soon as you let go, it stops.  I found it an easy way add action to you presentation.  I actually have 2 of them now and will be using one in the shack set up with braid and a fluorocarbon leader and the other will likely get some 4lb mono for hole hopping. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.