Author Topic: Hardwater Clothing  (Read 3343 times)

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
Hardwater Clothing
« on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:13 AM »
I have been looking around online recently and thinking about upgrading my ice fishing jacket/bibs. just wondering what people are wearing when the temps drop to stay warm and dry. Does anyone have experience with the Cabela's guide wear parka and bibs or the Striker Hardwater ice suit? Carhartt, Helly Hanson something else maybe? Thanks.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Hardwater Clothing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Hardwater only way to go, u will never be cold!!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Hardwater only way to go, u will never be cold!!
X2
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Also floats !!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Hardwater is fantastic for what you are looking for. VERY warm, wind resistant, reinforced seams and knee pads. I use this while ice fishing and also while plowing in Nor' eaters with my ATV. It may be too warm with temps over 45 or so. Just an fyi.
Just add water.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:04 AM »
i have artic armor, ice armor and hardwater and climate suits. i like hardwater and climate suits the best. hardwater has the thickest material of them all.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Striker Hardwater all the way. If you want to keep cost low start off with the bibs, they will keep your legs and core warm. I'm on my 4th year and haven't wore them out yet. I have the jacket as well but it only comes on when we dip in minus 20's.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:04 AM »
I'm on my 4th year and haven't wore them out yet.
this will be the 6th year for my set!  still going strong  :)

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I bought striker predator bibs and jacket for the start of the last ice fishing season. I absolutely love them. I personally wouldnt want anything thats warmer. A lot of the time my jacket is off and im just in the bibs and a sweatshirt. You cant go wrong with striker. I also prefer the material over that of the hardwater or a carhart. Before I bought striker I was using carharts.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Pretty much all the ice fishing suits will provide you adequate warmth. The other features are what makes each one stand out. If you want a floating suit, Striker is the way to go. If you want waterproof, Cabela's guidewear is the only truly waterproof one of the ones you listed. There are various other brands that don't get as much hype as the Striker, frabill, ice armor etc. Simms and Huk are two that come to mind, I've never tried them out but I know some guys that use them and have no complaints. I'm going on my 6th season of the Frabill I3s and have no complaints. If/When I upgrade, it'll either be the Cabela's guidewear or Simms.
Da Pack!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:21 AM »
I have the SI Predator suit and the SI Climate suit ...the Climate is way too hot for my area ...w/liners removed it can be used in my area early/late ice... I went with the Predator as my goto...just got to layer a little more on those bitter days. Layering is key ...my biggest asset to my system is a vest ...if your core is warm your extremities will be also.. good luck with your search and choice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:22 AM »
i have a set of the strikers. i like them but i kinda feel like i am wearing a space suit or something.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. definitely got me thinking more about the Striker line. I should have mentioned i'm fishing in temps anywhere from 0C to -40c on the coldest days. most of the time when the temp drops to the lowest i am warm and snug in my permy but i still like to get out and set tip ups or hole hop a bit. Wind protection is a huge factor in Saskatchewan.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. definitely got me thinking more about the Striker line. I should have mentioned i'm fishing in temps anywhere from 0C to -40c on the coldest days. most of the time when the temp drops to the lowest i am warm and snug in my permy but i still like to get out and set tip ups or hole hop a bit. Wind protection is a huge factor in Saskatchewan.

One of the best videos out there explaining the different suit...some of the color schemes have changed some

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I'm in Saskatchewan and absolutely love my Cabela's Gortex Extreme Guidewear Bibs.  Best purchase I've made for ice fishing.  Really warm, padded knees, great pockets.  Great value.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Pretty much all the ice fishing suits will provide you adequate warmth. The other features are what makes each one stand out. If you want a floating suit, Striker is the way to go. If you want waterproof, Cabela's guidewear is the only truly waterproof one of the ones you listed. There are various other brands that don't get as much hype as the Striker, frabill, ice armor etc. Simms and Huk are two that come to mind, I've never tried them out but I know some guys that use them and have no complaints. I'm going on my 6th season of the Frabill I3s and have no complaints. If/When I upgrade, it'll either be the Cabela's guidewear or Simms.
.        I fish on my knees a lot in slush, ect and have never had “wet” knees , so I’d say my hardwater is waterproof. Do the cabelas float? By the way?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2018, 04:10 PM »
i don't see any mention of flotation assist. it does say only 200 denier tho. too thin for my money.

https://www.cabelas.com/assets/collections/stitchedin/guidewear/xtreme.html

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:30 PM »
4 or 5 years on my striker hardwater bibs.  love em almost too warm, and that's saying something up here.  you can kneel all day and not get cold knees or ass plus it has a built in beer holder in one of the leg pockets.  plus if you push your luck too much at first ice they'll keep you afloat.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:07 AM »
.        I fish on my knees a lot in slush, ect and have never had “wet” knees , so I’d say my hardwater is waterproof. Do the cabelas float? By the way?

No the cabela's guidewear do not float. Like I mentioned, each suit has its pros and cons and it depends what he is looking for. I use a self inflating life jacket instead of a floating suit. Personal preference.   The Striker Hardwater suits are water resistant enough, but you'll get a wet ass if you sit in water long enough, same with the knees. The knees and butt are re-inforced enough to keep you dry for the most part, but the material is not waterproof and eventually water will get through.

I've never gotten wet knees with my Frabill I3's either, and the Hardwater suit is definitely better than those. But truly waterproof is a different story.
Da Pack!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I fish on my knees, but have never seen anyone set on his ass in the water or slush !! I guess it could happen though !

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2018, 11:21 AM »
I 've been using  some army gor-tex pants last few years.
They have been great. you can get them in green or blue .
They have cargo pockets etc. $70.
What I really like is that they do not take much space in your carry bag or can be even rolled up and be shoved inside one of your boots when in the truck .They are very warm and water proof.
They are a lot easer  to take on or off ,as they do not have shoulder straps so you do not have to take your coat off in -40 weather .
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline SkWalter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Has anyone used the FXR stuff for ice fishing?  It has the built in flotation. 

Offline hottrodd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Who fishes outside in -40? If your hole is gonna freeze over in less than a minute why would you bother? Your hot coffee is cold in 2 minutes, the beer you just cracked is slush in 2 min. Your flasher works for 15 minutes tops. Your line has a 1/4" of ice built up every time you jig it. Take a fish off and youll have frozen hands the rest of the day. Im thinkin get a suit thats comfortable at -20 and if its not quite enough well its not a good day for fishin. I have a Frabill suit but if I gotta put that on its really not that great of a fishing day. I prefer Cabellas Guide Wear bibs and a hoodie for a good day on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.